ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Samsung S4 Bluetooth constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

Old 07-23-14, 02:51 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The connecting and disconnecting has stopped but it's still not reading my text messages. I've left a couple messages with the dealer and sent an email but still no reply. Is anyone else having issues with the text messages not being read? I'm ready to change phones over this.
Old 07-23-14, 05:25 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know you have the Samsung, but my iPhone also wasn't reading text messages. The tech guy at the dealer gave me a few things to change in the setting, and now I get text messages read out to me. However, I can't figure out why the canned responses won't reply. Maybe I need to read the manual a little more .
Old 07-24-14, 07:09 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I know you have the Samsung, but my iPhone also wasn't reading text messages. The tech guy at the dealer gave me a few things to change in the setting, and now I get text messages read out to me. However, I can't figure out why the canned responses won't reply. Maybe I need to read the manual a little more .
IPhones don't have that capability with the car. They can receive texts but not reply. Something in Apple's software. If you have a 2014 & up ES, you have Siri Eyes Free. Which allows you to use Siri through the car. Pushing the off hook button for a couple of seconds will activate Siri.
Old 07-24-14, 09:05 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

I have a 2014 so maybe an iPhone would work better? I just want it doing what it was doing when I bought the car.
Old 07-24-14, 09:42 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

I have a Google Nexus 5 Android smartphone. We - Google phone owners - get the latest updates first before anyone else from Google. I've had the Lexus for over a year and have never had a connectivity issue thru 3 Google updates to the latest Kit Kat OS.
Old 07-24-14, 10:17 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Offroad, thanks for the info. I figured that may be the case so you saved me some searching.

Bob, so your Nexus can both read and respond back to text? Cool.
Old 07-24-14, 05:04 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

I got a call back from the dealership. They said the issue was with KitKat and I need to wait for an update to the OS to fix the issue. He said that the S5 was having less issues than the S4. Overall I'm pretty annoyed with the android platform and can't convince myself to get a S5 to do what the S4 was doing before they forced the update on my poor phone. Blah. I just want my car to read my text messages and let me respond with my preset responses. Is that too much to ask for?
Old 07-24-14, 05:50 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

The latest Android Kitkat OS update is to 4.4.4. If your S4 is not using this OS you need an update.
Old 07-25-14, 09:22 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
The latest Android Kitkat OS update is to 4.4.4. If your S4 is not using this OS you need an update.
I'm on 4.4.2 - do you know if the latest one works with the car?
Old 07-25-14, 09:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
I'm on 4.4.2 - do you know if the latest one works with the car?
Works for me... BTW I received this update from Google about a month ago.
Old 07-28-14, 07:39 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Found this from another source:
"On the 4.4.2 OS go to settings, then my device, then 8 down or so you should see the option for "hands-free mode", click it you will see there is an option for "incoming call", "messages", "alarm", and "calendar event info" Now, turn "hands-free mode" ON and make at least "incoming call" and "messages" active."

This was on an AT&T Galaxy Note 2, I'm not sure you would have the same settings. But it's worth a shot.
Old 07-28-14, 10:19 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by offroad200
Found this from another source:
"On the 4.4.2 OS go to settings, then my device, then 8 down or so you should see the option for "hands-free mode", click it you will see there is an option for "incoming call", "messages", "alarm", and "calendar event info" Now, turn "hands-free mode" ON and make at least "incoming call" and "messages" active."

This was on an AT&T Galaxy Note 2, I'm not sure you would have the same settings. But it's worth a shot.
OK I just tried that. I will see if it works later. I can't find an update for 4.4.4 for the S4 on AT&T so that's a dud.
Old 07-30-14, 11:40 AM
HeavyfootH
Driver School Candidate

Angry Similar Issues, need help!

Hi everyone. I am having a similar problem. I have a Galaxy S5, with Android 4.4.2, and a '14 IS250 AWD F Sport. If I let the phone connect as normal, it will disconnect/reconnect at will. It is very annoying, esp as I cannot use the Lexus Apps at all.

At this point, if I want to listen to music from the phone I have to manually disconnect the 'phone' from the Bluetooth menu and leave the 'music player' active. Then it works like a charm, but I can't make phone calls hands-free. We shouldn't be having these kinds of simple issues.

Has anyone heard of or found a solution to this yet? I went to my local dealer, and they were clueless.
Old 07-30-14, 01:26 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

If your android smartphone has an "update" selection, then try to update to 4.4.4. If this is possible then try reconnecting to the Lexus. As previously stated, I received this update about a month ago and I don't know why other Android phones have not gotten it yet from Google. BTW, Google sends out the update - not your carrier.
Old 07-30-14, 02:26 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
If your android smartphone has an "update" selection, then try to update to 4.4.4. If this is possible then try reconnecting to the Lexus. As previously stated, I received this update about a month ago and I don't know why other Android phones have not gotten it yet from Google. BTW, Google sends out the update - not your carrier.
Actually it looks like the updates are by manufacturer and Samsung hasn't rolled out the release yet. They are still pushing out 4.4.2. Looks like it may not be available until September. If that's the case and there's a new iPhone out - I will be fed up enough to switch back. This is just annoying. It's doing the disconnecting and reconnecting thing again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Samsung S4 Bluetooth constantly disconnecting and reconnecting