ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 02:50 PM
ryoo1257
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If, however, you punch the accelerator when the engine starts to labor, it will force the engine into a lower gear and the knocking should not happen.

Thus, if, when you start to see/feel the engine laboring, if you punch the accelerator and force downshifting, I think that there is a good chance that the knocking will disappear. Also, if you are driving in Eco mode, try driving in Normal mode, which will change the programmed shift points and reduce the instances where the engine might have to labor to get the job done.
Yes the knock goes away as one accelerates more. I will try and see if this knock is sustained if I don't 'punch' the accelerator.
Old 05-15-14, 02:52 PM
ryoo1257
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steig
My 13 ES 300h also has this knock. Tried different gas, but did not help.
I tried Shell, Chevron, and Mobil. Shell was best, Chevron, then Mobil.
Old 05-15-14, 02:54 PM
ryoo1257
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jim256
Bear in mind, the hybrid has a CVT, although it has some pre-determined ranges selectable by the shift lever. It pretty much finds its own level. Mine does not knock under any conditions I've found--full throttle or light. Eco, normal or power. Regular gas, only. It could be some rattling from a loose exhaust or catalytic converter shield, or some questionable gas, but since it's designed for unleaded I doubt name brand regular would cause a problem. If it does it on premium you could eliminate the gas, and ask the dealer to check everything again.
What's a CVT?

Not any loose exhaust or cat converter...technicians identified it as knock. If I recall Lexus advises only regular in this car, correct me if I'm wrong. But, they put 91 in it and said try it.
Old 05-15-14, 02:57 PM
ryoo1257
Driver School Candidate

I'm confident in my guess that the reason why some might be seeing an issue and others won't is related to the differences in the driving styles of different drivers, and I'm also confident in my guess that recognizing when the engine is laboring and forcing the transmission into lower gearing by punching the accelerator will eliminate the issue for most. Again, even switching from Eco mode to Normal mode should also help for those who are less inclined to be able to recognize when it would be beneficial to use the accelerator to force the transmission into lower gearing.
This 67 year old I know has this vehicle as well, but he drives like an 'old man' I don't have a heavy foot and putting it in Eco, Normal, or Sport still evokes this knock.
Old 05-15-14, 02:59 PM
ryoo1257
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atoyota
It definitely isn't a feature of the hybrid. My 300h doesn't knock under any condition nor did the Camry hybrid I drove for 4yrs that has essentially the same powertrain as the 300h.

It is possible that you got some bad gas from Costco but I don't know. There are gasoline additives/cleaners that you could get from Autozone or other parts stores and run thru one tank of gas to see if it resolves the issue that just several tanks of clean gas wouldn't fix.

The only other thing I could think of is that your state/city may have seasonal additives/ethanol levels that might impact the octane/performance of the gasoline. We do have this in the city I live in the summer time to combat ozone, but again I have never had a knocking issue with my cars on 87 octane here.
Once the tank is low, I will try Techron and see if it cleans up any Costco crud buildup which the brand name gas with it's additives have not addressed...skeptical though.
Old 05-15-14, 03:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ryoo1257
Yes the knock goes away as one accelerates more. I will try and see if this knock is sustained if I don't 'punch' the accelerator.
I probably should have said this in my earlier posts, but my thinking was that the sound that you are hearing might actually be the engine lugging. Engine knock and lugging can have fairly similar sounds, and they can occur under similar circumstances, especially when the automatic transmission is selecting a gear that is higher than what is called for in situations such as climbing up a hill, and that is when using the accelerator pedal to cause the transmission to use a lower gear is called for.

What's a CVT?
CVT is a continuously variable transmission, which is what is used in the ES300h, while a conventional transmission is used in the ES350.

I don't have a heavy foot.
If what I'm thinking is possibly the cause of what you are hearing, it would be the result of having a "light" foot and would not be happening if you had a heavy foot.

Last edited by lesz; 05-15-14 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 03:17 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So the CVT uses conventional gears? I heard that CVT don't "shift" like regular automatics to improve mpg.
Old 05-15-14, 03:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arty101
So the CVT uses conventional gears? I heard that CVT don't "shift" like regular automatics to improve mpg.
No, it doesn't use "gears". Instead, it uses friction. I just use the term "gear" in a more general sense to refer to the gearing ratio that is being used to propel the vehicle. Perhaps, there is a better term that I should be using, but, if there is, it isn't coming to mind.
Old 05-15-14, 04:48 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I probably should have said this in my earlier posts, but my thinking was that the sound that you are hearing might actually be the engine lugging. Engine knock and lugging can have fairly similar sounds, and they can occur under similar circumstances, especially when the automatic transmission is selecting a gear that is higher than what is called for in situations such as climbing up a hill, and that is when using the accelerator pedal to cause the transmission to use a lower gear is called for.
Lesz- I agree with you. I think engine lugging can sound like engine knocking. If the CVT is "gearless" but continuous, would the transmission wind up and allow for higher rpm as to not lug? I really haven't heard my ES "lug" and I drive up some steep hills in San Francisco. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely louder and noisier than normal, but not to the extent of lugging or knocking.
Old 05-15-14, 04:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Lesz- I agree with you. I think engine lugging can sound like engine knocking. If the CVT is "gearless" but continuous, would the transmission wind up and allow for higher rpm as to not lug?
With the CVT, just like with a conventional transmission, I think that whether and when it adjusts its setting/gearing depends on what the driver is doing with the accelerator pedal. It is just like if you are on the highway driving 60 mph and you want to accelerate quickly to pass someone. When you step down quickly on the accelerator, the transmission responds by changing to provide a lower drive ratio, which will provide the power needed for the more rapid acceleration, and, again, if a driver has a very light foot, the transmission is going to be inclined to stay with a drive ratio that is too high and that doesn't provide the power needed to accelerate quickly (or to climb a hill).

(Note that I'm still struggling to find the right term to use for a CVT that would correspond to changing gears with a conventional transmission. )
Old 05-15-14, 06:20 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my .2 cents on this. I live in a part of my town that requires me to drive 3 miles uphill to get home everyday. It gets VERY steep once your about 70% of the way up. First off it's your car pinging obviously for a reason. I hear my car ping best when I'm passing a parked car, with my passenger window down, on the steepest parts of my climb, load on motor... (You'll hear it echo off the parked cars)
Reason being: When I don't run 91 octane. My Gs is a ***** and knows when I'm not running premium, and makes sure to know I know, she knows... LOL!
If your cars pinging, you need to raise the octane in order to raise the combustion temperature of the fuel to avoid combustion... (What causes pinging)
Certain companies make my car ping and some don't. First you need to clear the carbon deposits which aid in pinging a lot more than you imagine. It builds a heat barrier which significantly increases an engines combustion chamber temperatures. So if your running 91 or 93 and still pinging, well, not saying it's for sure! But you could have a lot of build up, or simply the wrong dam plugs or gaping. So... Run some sea foam through a vacuum line, I do half a bottle though the line, and the other half of the bottle in my fuel, read up on how to correctly do this... Wanna see what's built up? Hahaha oh you will just take a look in your rear view mirror when driving after shooting it directly through the line. It's actually very healthy for the motor and is a sufficient way to get what we can, out without actually getting in there and doing so... My car seems to like 76, and chevron... Not sure why... But... I'm not that into it to break down what additives and how much each company uses to care. I can just tell by the way she purrs
Old 05-15-14, 07:18 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

So are you talking about running premium gas in your GS? Yes, I run premium on my GS too but the ES should run on regular.

Your sea foam sounds like a colonoscopy cleansing for cars .
Old 05-16-14, 07:38 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

So are you talking about running premium gas in your GS? Yes, I run premium on my GS too but the ES should run on regular.

Your sea foam sounds like a colonoscopy cleansing for cars .
Sea Foam? Higher octane than recommended? Both wrong IMO. Use the gas that the manufacturer recommends and NO additives. These cars should not be pinging under ANY circumstances. Uphill, downhill, light foot, heavy foot, window down, window up, etc. These engines are controlled by a computer that adjusts by the millisecond to the various conditions.
Old 05-16-14, 08:06 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
Higher octane than recommended? Use the gas that the manufacturer recommends and NO additives.
I agree. Even when, for the ES 350, the same engine was used as is used in the current ES350 for several years with a Lexus recommendation to use premium fuel, the wording in that recommendation indicated that optimal performance would be achieved with premium fuel, but 87 octane was satisfactory, and the vehicles performed with no issues with 87 octane fuel. Further, the primary reason, back then, for recommending premium fuel did not really relate to engine performance. Instead, it was because, to meet the EPA's requirements for a higher emissions rating, the recommendation for premium fuel was required.

Originally Posted by bc6152
These cars should not be pinging under ANY circumstances. Uphill, downhill, light foot, heavy foot, window down, window up, etc. These engines are controlled by a computer that adjusts by the millisecond to the various conditions.
And that is the reason why I think that there is, at least a possibility, that what the OP is hearing is actually lugging. My suspicion that that might be the case is bolstered by the fact that the dealer's service department did not find anything amiss with the engine's operation, and that could be the result of the service adviser or technician driving the vehicle while using the accelerator differently and in a manner that was more likely to cause the transmission to be responding more appropriately relative to what was called for when accelerating or climbing a hill. While I can't dismiss the possibility that there is a genuine problem with the engine, I also have a hard time believing that, if there was a genuine problem, it would not be readily apparent to the people in the dealer's service department.
Old 05-16-14, 09:17 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about malfunctioned knock sensor?

Quick Reply: engine knock