ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 04:41 PM
GS4K
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deal?

Looking at a used ES350. 2013 CPO, 10k miles, silver/black, luxury package, navigation package, premium package.... Overall very sharp. $38k out the door, $35000 before ttl. There were asking $36995. No trade in. I was shooting for $37k otd. Let me know what you guys think. I live in IL.

Last edited by GS4K; 04-25-14 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 08:36 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4K
Looking at a used ES350. 2013 CPO, 10k miles, silver/black, luxury package, navigation package, premium package.... Overall very sharp. $38k out the door, $35000 before ttl. There were asking $36995. No trade in. I was shooting for $37k otd. Let me know what you guys think. I live in IL.
You can get over $5000 off MSRP for a new 2014, so price out a new one with everything this car has on it and then subtract $5000 and tell us what the 10k miles of use and the lost time and miles off the warranty, cost/saved you?
Old 04-25-14, 09:29 PM
GS4K
Driver

So you're saying that I can get $5k off msrp? Msrp is $44600, so around 39600? I seen members get close to that for a base model with little or no options. Also for 2013 leftovers not for 2014. I wonder if anyone got a 2014 with these options discounted $5k. It makes sense that a ES with no navigation would sit on the lot for a while and that's the reason for the large discount.
Old 04-25-14, 09:54 PM
GS4K
Driver

I see what you're saying just re read the thread about what people paid. So $38k vs $43k, used vs new, 5k difference. To me in this case new ride makes more sense, I'll see if I can get this deal for a new ride.
Old 04-26-14, 04:03 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

So you're saying that I can get $5k off msrp? Msrp is $44600, so around 39600? I seen members get close to that for a base model with little or no options. Also for 2013 leftovers not for 2014. I wonder if anyone got a 2014 with these options discounted $5k. It makes sense that a ES with no navigation would sit on the lot for a while and that's the reason for the large discount.
When I bought my car in January ( it was a brand new 2013 ES ) the sticker was $45,186 After several days of back and forth ended up getting it for 6K off the sticker, 39,186 plus TTL. Don't know if they would come off 6 grand on a 14 model, but might come off enough to at least get you to consider new vs. used.... something to think about.

Poppa
Old 04-26-14, 05:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I see what you're saying just re read the thread about what people paid. So $38k vs $43k, used vs new, 5k difference. To me in this case new ride makes more sense, I'll see if I can get this deal for a new ride.
While seeing what others have paid relative to MSRP (or invoice) can be interesting information, that information, by itself, is not particularly meaningful because it is only one part of the picture, and there are many other factors that can make a deal either a "good deal" or one that is not particularly good.

Car dealers are aware of the fact that, in today's market, car buyers fixate on price relative to MSRP or price relative to invoice, and they are often willing to sell vehicles for what appears to be heavily discounted prices, but, they can often find other ways to make their profits, including undervaluing trade-ins, using lease terms favorable to the dealership, using finance terms favorable to the dealership, selling the customer a very high mark-up extended warranty, or selling the customer other high mark-up dealer add-ons, such as paint protection plans, clear bras, nitrogen tire fills, etc. Without considering all of the factors involved in the deal, it is completely impossible to know whether a deal is a good one or not, and it is very possible that someone who paid $3000 below MSRP could have gotten a better deal than someone who paid $6000 below MSRP.

It should also be noted that there is a pretty wide range of pricing from one geographic region to the next. Whether it be the result of proximity to ports of entry, increased competition between dealers, or some other factor, the regions closer to the coasts, especially places like Southern California, Texas, Florida, etc. seem to be the most buyer friendly, and the central part of the U.S. seems to much less buyer friendly with regard to pricing.

So, the bottom line is that, while you may well be able to do (somewhat) better than the price you have been offered for that CPO vehicle, it could well be the case that you won't find pricing at the same levels that others seem, on the surface, to have gotten. When buyers focus on price relative to MSRP or invoice and don't give consideration to all of the other factors that make up the complete picture, those buyers are the best candidates for making deals that look, on the surface, to be great, but which, in totality, allow the dealer to make the largest profit.

Last edited by lesz; 04-26-14 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-26-14, 06:21 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Until the 1st of July, Lexus is giving dealers an extra $1250 marketing cash to move ES350's. You can look this up on Edmunds under rebates. That's your money.
Old 04-26-14, 06:42 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Lexus Navigation system sucks!! The new Nuluxe seats feel and look like leather are ventilated and easier to maintain. Lexus leather is coated leather so not much different then Nuluxe except owners have been having problems with the heat element leaving marks on the leather seats! but no such problem with the Nuluxe seats. I bought a Garmin that works better then the Lexus Nav system, voice activated, shows speed limits as you drive and costs $170. I got backup camera with cross traffic, lane change asst., heated seats, upgraded stereo. MSRP $40.950. Paid $35,650 plus $125 tag, title and 6.5% sales tax. Plus I got the windows tinted for free
Old 04-26-14, 11:26 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
The new Nuluxe seats feel and look like leather are ventilated and easier to maintain. Lexus leather is coated leather so not much different then Nuluxe except owners have been having problems with the heat element leaving marks on the leather seats!
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "coated leather".

I will say that I think that the NuLuxe looks good and has a nice feel to it. My concern about it, though, would be that, with other versions of fake leather, they start out looking nice, but, a couple of years down the road, they seem to be prone to drying out and cracking. Maybe the engineers who developed NuLuxe have figured out a way to avoid these problems, but I'll wait for a few years of history with NuLuxe to see how well the product holds up with usage, exposure to sun, wear, etc. With leather, it can actually look better as it ages.

I bought a Garmin that works better then the Lexus Nav system, voice activated, shows speed limits as you drive and costs $170.
I don't doubt that many stand-alone nav systems function better than the Lexus nav system or the nav systems of other vehicles. I know that the two nav apps on my phone provide better guidance than do the nav systems in any of the 5 vehicles that I've owned with nav systems. There is also no question that vehicle nav systems are very overpriced. On the other hand, having had vehicles with nav systems, I know that I'll never be buying another vehicle without one. Having a nice big screen, and having the hardware integrated into the design of the vehicle makes the built-in nav system so much more functional than a stand-alone nav system, and, with regard to cosmetics, a stand-alone nav system, to me, comes across as a bit tacky and looks like it was an afterthought. After my first vehicle with a nav system, I made the mistake of buying a vehicle a couple of years later without one. Not only did I miss having the nav system in that vehicle, but the absence of a nav system was a primary reason why I kept that vehicle for less than two years. I've also found that, among used car buyers, nav systems are a much wanted item. From both private sellers and with trade-ins, nav system equipped vehicles seem to bring premium prices, and the nav systems seem to bring back a higher percentage of their initial cost when selling or trading in than most other vehicle options do.
Old 04-26-14, 12:04 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lesz

I will say that I think that the NuLuxe looks good and has a nice feel to it. My concern about it, though, would be that, with other versions of fake leather, they start out looking nice, but, a couple of years down the road, they seem to be prone to drying out and cracking. Maybe the engineers who developed NuLuxe have figured out a way to avoid these problems, but I'll wait for a few years of history with NuLuxe to see how well the product holds up with usage, exposure to sun, wear, etc. With leather, it can actually look better as it ages.

I don't doubt that many stand-alone nav systems function better than the Lexus nav system or the nav systems of other vehicles. I know that the two nav apps on my phone provide better guidance than do the nav systems in any of the 5 vehicles that I've owned with nav systems. There is also no question that vehicle nav systems are very overpriced. On the other hand, having had vehicles with nav systems, I know that I'll never be buying another vehicle without one. Having a nice big screen, and having the hardware integrated into the design of the vehicle makes the built-in nav system so much more functional than a stand-alone nav system, and, with regard to cosmetics, a stand-alone nav system, to me, comes across as a bit tacky and looks like it was an afterthought. After my first vehicle with a nav system, I made the mistake of buying a vehicle a couple of years later without one. Not only did I miss having the nav system in that vehicle, but the absence of a nav system was a primary reason why I kept that vehicle for less than two years. I've also found that, among used car buyers, nav systems are a much wanted item. From both private sellers and with trade-ins, nav system equipped vehicles seem to bring premium prices, and the nav systems seem to bring back a higher percentage of their initial cost when selling or trading in than most other vehicle options do.
Actually the coated leather will crack long before the vinyl seats, because most owners will treat it like untreated leather and not properly protect and care for it. I've owned both. The leather in the Lexus is coated meaning it is coated with a plastic/vinyl substance. That is why leather conditioner just lays on top. You need a water based vinyl conditioner and UV protector to use on your Lexus leather and the Nuluxe (like 303 Aero) I used leather conditioner on my 2008 Austin Martin back in the day. But that leather was not coated and the leather conditioner would sink into the leather. My wife's i-phone interfaces through the Lexus stereo system and using google maps will act as a Navigation system. I think automobile installed Navigation systems are becoming a thing of the past. JMHO
Old 04-26-14, 12:29 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz

I agree with everything you said..
A car without factory Nav is a deal breaker...
And I also think the real leather is sooooo much more comfortable than the fake stuff!
Old 04-26-14, 12:35 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

That's why they sell them with different option packages, so people can choose the ones they want. No right or wrong answer just preference.
Old 04-26-14, 12:44 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
I agree with everything you said..

And I also think the real leather is sooooo much more comfortable than the fake stuff!
My wife likes her Gucci purse better then her Louis Vuitton, because she likes the look and feel of the Gucci leather better then the vinyl type material used on most of the Louis Vuitton purse. Both cost around $2000. It's about preference, not quality. I've had vehicles with both and with this new Lexus Nuluxe I could not tell is was not leather. Also no one is having any problems with the Nuluxe like they are with the leather seats. Looks like Lexus has a quality problem with their leather seats when it comes to the seat heaters, not so with the Nuluxe.

Last edited by Max707; 04-26-14 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 12:51 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife likes her Gucci purse better then her Louis Vuitton, because she likes the look and feel of the Gucci leather better then the vinyl type material used on most of the Louis Vuitton purse. Both cost around $2000. It's about preference, not quality. I've had vehicles with both and with this new Lexus Nuluxe I could not tell is was not leather. Also no one is having any problems with the Nuluxe like they are with the leather seats. Looks like Lexus has a quality problem with their leather seats when it comes to the seat heaters, not so with the Nuluxe.
Very true! That's why I have the empreinte leather.

Last edited by Lexusxoxo; 04-26-14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 12:55 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
Very true! That's why I have the empreinte leather.
Not letting my wife see any of this, don't want her getting any new ideas

Quick Reply: Good Deal?