ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer option "The Protector"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 04:54 AM
gappell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
So do you commit to the product but they don't apply it for 30 days in case you decide to cancel?
Yes, I have the car for over a week and have not had it applied. We have been out of town and have not been back to the dealer. My problem is convincing my wife that it is a rip-off. Searching the web turns up nothing on this product although dealers have been selling it for years. We are going away again tomorrow so I still have time to cancel.
Old 04-28-14, 06:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gappell
Yes, I have the car for over a week and have not had it applied. We have been out of town and have not been back to the dealer. My problem is convincing my wife that it is a rip-off. Searching the web turns up nothing on this product although dealers have been selling it for years. We are going away again tomorrow so I still have time to cancel.
You could show your wife some online ads from reputable detailers in your area, and show her how many times you could have the car professionally detailed for the $1,000.

If the dealer has had your $1k for this long, it might be difficult, or at least time consuming, to get all of it back it you cancel.
Old 04-29-14, 09:17 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gappell
Yes, the wife factor is always the issue. But as said previously, a good Scotch Guard of the interior and a good wax/sealer on the paint saves you the $1K and no profit to the dealer. And I don't think the wife will be washing/waxing the car.
Old 05-04-14, 07:00 AM
sunmcc
Driver School Candidate

A dealership fighting for my business told me that the product is applied during manufacturing, so you are NOT paying additional for the product. You get the protectant regardless. What you are paying for is only the warranty. I'm passing and will take the risks and keep it clean myself.

2001 Lexus ES300 Coach Edition
2014 Lexus ES350 Luxury Edition
Old 05-04-14, 07:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sunmcc
A dealership fighting for my business told me that the product is applied during manufacturing, so you are NOT paying additional for the product. You get the protectant regardless. What you are paying for is only the warranty. I'm passing and will take the risks and keep it clean myself.

2001 Lexus ES300 Coach Edition
2014 Lexus ES350 Luxury Edition
I've never heard that before. I thought it was applied at dealerships. I've seen it offered at Lexus, Audi (where I got my car), Volvo etc. stores. I'd pass on it too.
Old 05-05-14, 06:49 PM
sunmcc
Driver School Candidate

LexBob2,
I went into my dealership today to take home my new car. I asked the General Manager this very question. He said that no, it isn't done at manufacturing, but many dealerships go ahead and do it "so it is easy to sell" and maybe even to provide protection while they have it on the lot. My dealership doesn't do it, but my car was transferred in from another dealership who does do it, so I got the protection "free" just not the warranty. So, for others, you should ask if it is already applied automatically.
Old 05-05-14, 08:12 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Guys another name for this stuff is Simone wax. It's a wax job!
Old 05-06-14, 07:31 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Max707
Too funny and too true .
Old 05-07-14, 05:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I think you Mean SIMONIZ wax. Been around for decades...
Old 05-07-14, 04:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Bob- Do you mean Simoniz has been around for decades, or being waxed?
Old 05-13-14, 03:13 PM
gappell
Rookie

Lots of comments on the dealer packages. I gave in to my wife and the dealer applied "The Protector" today. It took about 6 hours and it was inside and out treatments. The car really looks good! It does come with a good warranty for any damage to the finish or interior for 7 years. I have no idea if it is worth the cost but I will keep this forum posted over the next 7 years!!!!
Old 05-13-14, 04:23 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

If she's happy, you'll be happy. Nuff said. Congrats on your new car and tell us in 7 years.
Old 05-13-14, 07:09 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
If she's happy, you'll be happy. Nuff said. Congrats on your new car and tell us in 7 years.
You're correct Art. Happy wife, Happy life...
Old 05-14-14, 02:56 PM
bgryn1976
Driver School Candidate

It's overpriced for sure. But I wouldn't say it's not needed. I assume that all they do is use a paint sealant and fabric gaurd.

Sealants need to be applied after the paint cures for best protection. Cars need to cure 40-60 days that is why you never see it on new cars from the factory. As far as I know the paint on a Lexus is not much different then a Toyota. Good paint sealent isn't something you buy at the parts store. I personally use wolfgang but others are just as good.

I also use forumn 303 fabric gaurd on the carpets and UV protectorant and leather conditioner. My old car had a beige interrior and matt's and they were spotless when I traded it in. That because I used fabric gaurd.

It costs about $100-150 for materials. So you have decide if the extra $$ is worth it to have someone else do it. for $1000 I wouldn't do it. Go to a detailer and save the money.

Honestly if they insure it and the dealer backs the deal then sometimes these things can deal since fabric gaurd only goes so far. (think you have kids eating in the back and there forced to make repairs for free) Make sure the dealer also guarantee's the deal in writing. Otherwise the gurantee is not worth what it written on. A lot dealers use fly by night guarantee's

Last edited by bgryn1976; 05-14-14 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 03:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

If The Protector is a sealant, I wonder if the dealership reapplies it every 6 months or so? For $1,000 it might be better to have a detailer do the car periodically. There always is the chance that a dealership might sign on with another brand of packaging.

Quick Reply: Dealer option "The Protector"