ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES vs Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 07:43 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One potentially significant difference is the Avalon features wireless Qi cell phone charging integrated into the vehicle, which is pretty darn cool. I also think the pocket under the Qi charger is nice. But when I compared them in December Toyota couldn't touch the lease price I got for the ES from Lexus.
Old 04-02-14, 08:18 PM
brittmayo
Driver

The killing difference for me was the interior chrome strips on the Avalon, which turn into toaster coils in Houston summer heat.
Old 04-02-14, 08:39 PM
crg1
Driver School Candidate

I checked both a 2014 Avalon Limited and Es350. The rides were similar enough but the exterior grill and interior styling screamed Lexus to me. To me it was more refined. The QI was cool but not enough to sway me.
Old 04-02-14, 11:12 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Every week or two on the 2013+ Avalon forum at Toyota Nation someone is starting a new thread about the harsh ride and hard drivers seat. That doesn't happen here on the ES350 forum so the two cars must be substantially different in ride and seat comfort.
Old 04-03-14, 06:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO front seat comfort is one of the most subjective areas of any car. What I think are the most comfortable seats I've ever had, the next person may think they are terrible and cause back pain, and vice versa.

I doubt that there is anything inherently wrong with the Avalon's front seats (or ES for that matter) it's just personal preference and comfort.
Old 04-03-14, 06:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
IMO front seat comfort is one of the most subjective areas of any car. What I think are the most comfortable seats I've ever had, the next person may think they are terrible and cause back pain, and vice versa.

I doubt that there is anything inherently wrong with the Avalon's front seats (or ES for that matter) it's just personal preference and comfort.

I have to believe ride quality has to be close if not the same too.
Heck,the Avalon is Toyota's flagship vehicle.

I think most on the Avalon forums are complaining about the ride quality because it isn't as smooth as the last generation Avalon.
Same with the ES.Toyota went with better handling on both models.
Old 04-03-14, 06:49 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I drove both the Avalon and ES300h hybrids and the ride in the Avalon is harsher. There was no comparison. Although I did not find the Avalon's seat uncomfortable, I did notice that the Lexus seat was much more comfortable and it was noticeable at once.
Old 04-03-14, 06:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmanch
I drove both the Avalon and ES300h hybrids and the ride in the Avalon is harsher. There was no comparison. Although I did not find the Avalon's seat uncomfortable, I did notice that the Lexus seat was much more comfortable and it was noticeable at once.
Could have the same issue like the ES.
Did you test ride the Avalon with 18" wheels?
Many here complain the ES with 18's rides harsh.
Old 04-03-14, 07:08 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmanch
The tire pressure also has a lot to due with ride, I wonder if the Avalon's with the harsh ride had too much air in the tires as has been noticed here in the ES Forums.
Old 04-03-14, 08:25 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Both had 17 inch wheels
Old 04-03-14, 08:26 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Originally Posted by jollick
The tire pressure also has a lot to due with ride, I wonder if the Avalon's with the harsh ride had too much air in the tires as has been noticed here in the ES Forums.
I didn't check that. I noticed that the ride was firmer than the ES. I was driving a G37X at the time which has a firmer ride and was surprised that the Avalon's ride was firmer than I expected it to be.
Old 04-03-14, 03:49 PM
Tweaker
Driver School Candidate

I rented an Avalon and drove the 2014 ES same day. Checked tire pressures. Avalon had 17" tires and drove both 17 & 18" on ES. No doubt to me that the Avalon has a harsher ride.
Old 04-04-14, 06:37 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

For me it was dash. The ES was worth the price difference for something you see every time you drive it.
Old 04-04-14, 11:52 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Yep... I'm one of those who complained about the ride of the es with 18" wheels... I test drove an ES on the lot that had 17 " rims... but I bought ( and stupid me for doing this ) another ES that was on the showroom floor - never test drove it since everything was the same on both cars ---- except for the fact the one I bought had 18 " rims, and came with bridgestone tires, not the michelins that came on the 17" wheels.... at town speeds ( 35-45 mph ) there was a distinct difference in the ride quality, with the 17"s being a bit smoother... at highway speeds, for what ever reason, the 18"s on my car ride very very smoothly... I will be switching to Michelins when the time comes... one thing I did find out was the tire pressure was way too high.... dropped them to about 32-33 lbs and that helped lower speed ride quality as well..

Poppa
Old 04-06-14, 11:04 AM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, I was not that impressed with the Avalon. I believe the ES300h is superior in quietness due to the double-layer glass. It also just feels better to be in.

Quick Reply: ES vs Avalon