ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 10:04 AM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery

I have an ES 350. I parked my car at the airport economy lot for a 2 1/2 day business trip, which I accidentally left my cell phone at the hotel. I did get it back 2 days later. When the airport shuttle dropped me off in the dark of night I pressed my key fob to light up my car to find it easier. Heard and saw nothing.

I found my car and it was dead. Had to use the physical key to open the door. Pressed the start button, nothing. Pressed the S.O.S. button, nothing. No power and NO CELL PHONE. I flagged someone down to jump start my car. As soon as the cables were hooked up the dashboard lit up, but I still could not start the car. Didn't even hear clicking. I pressed the S.O.S. button and arranged a tow. After the kind gentleman who tried jumping my car left I shut everything down, pressed the button and the car started. Lesson learned on that was while getting a jump make sure you shut the car off completely then try starting it.

As far as why I had a dead battery, no clue. Headlights set to automatic, don't think I left any interior lights on, and the accessories automatically turn off after 20 minutes. My phone charger was plugged in, but that outlet is not active when the car is off. Bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Last edited by scutmud; 05-10-13 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Identify non-hybrid
Old 05-09-13, 10:14 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Don't you just hate that situation?

By the way there is no Hybrid ES350. It is an ES300.

Good luck with the dealer.

John
Old 05-09-13, 10:51 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

I've read that the 2013 GS is having battery issues. Hopefully, we don't start seeing the same thing. Mine has been in my garage for over a week. Started just fine this morning, as I would expect.

Let us know what they find.
Old 05-09-13, 04:01 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been away for 15 days and just came back. I left the 300h in the garage, and fired it right up. No problem, so maybe it's an isolated incident? My GS on the other hand.... time to change the battery.
Old 05-14-13, 04:29 AM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Default Update......

My car is still with the dealer. I dropped it off there last Friday. So far they have not found anything and said the battery is fine. They will have a technician look at it today (4 days since I dropped it off.).
Old 05-14-13, 06:11 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Re-reading your initial post, I doubt you had a dead battery. Doesn't seem possible it would charge enough from the jump start attempt, after being disconnected, to start the car. How long was he hooked up to you for? Maybe a loose battery terminal?

Whatever it turns out to be, keep us posted.
Old 05-14-13, 07:09 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by scutmud
My car is still with the dealer. I dropped it off there last Friday. So far they have not found anything and said the battery is fine. They will have a technician look at it today (4 days since I dropped it off.).
Hey I have had this same problem, the dealership will not find the problem, they need to keep the vehicle overnight and then check it after two days. I have had this occur to me two times with my GS and brought it in with no answer. Since you have the car there, have them keep it for the 3 days and check it after.
Old 05-15-13, 04:05 PM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Default Update.... Found nothing

I left the car at the dealer for 4 1/2 days. They said they let it sit and they could not find anything wrong.

When I originally got the jump start we left the jumper cables connected for about 10 minutes while I used the SOS button to arrange a tow. After we disconnected the cables I turned off the car and then tried to start it with success as if it never had a problem.
Old 05-15-13, 04:31 PM
txes
Lead Lap

In the future, never leave the cables connected once you start the car.

John
Old 05-15-13, 05:02 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by txes

John
Reading his original post, it looks like it never started while the cables were connected.
Old 05-20-13, 04:00 AM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by txes

John
The car did not start when the cable were hooked up.
Old 08-12-13, 05:10 AM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Default Happened Again!!!! Dead Battery

I got a dead battery again!! Parked my car Saturday morning, and by Monday morning it would not start. Was able to jump start it.

Nothing, I mean nothing was left turned on, nothing was plugged into the power outlet.

I originally started this post and sad to say I am back again with a problem that leaves uncomfortable about the reliability of being able to get into my car and have it start.
Old 08-12-13, 05:20 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I got a dead battery again!! Parked my car Saturday morning, and by Monday morning it would not start. Was able to jump start it.

Nothing, I mean nothing was left turned on, nothing was plugged into the power outlet.

I originally started this post and sad to say I am back again with a problem that leaves uncomfortable about the reliability of being able to get into my car and have it start.
I would go to my dealer and insist they replace the battery just as a precaution. That happened to my HS250h, the starter battery was intermittent, I brought the can into the dealer and asked them to check it, they said it tested fine. A couple of weeks later, same thing, it was dead. I called the dealer and told them this was the 2nd time and I requested they replace the battery, they sent a tech to my office and replaced the battery, I never had a problem again.

Last edited by jollick; 08-12-13 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 05:38 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

How many miles do you have on the car currently.
Old 08-12-13, 05:40 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your best bet is to take your car to your Lexus dealer and leave it there for several days (they will happily give you a loaner at n/c) so they can troubleshoot.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery