ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Side moldings DIY: is std. location too low to protect from dings?

Old 02-24-14, 04:10 AM
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side moldings DIY: is std. location too low to protect from dings?

We have OEM side moldings to install DIY on our 2013 ES 350. It seems that the Lexus paperwork would have us install them a little bit too low to fully protect against dings., They would not be placed at the "widest" point from what I can see. So, two questions: SHOULD we install them a little bit higher and, if so, at what height from the bottom door edge? (And will that look less aesthetically pleasing being higher? - we DO like the look of moldings). Question 2: Instructions say something to the effect of measuring 1034 mm from inner door edge towards front of door and mark with tape for the end of pointed edge. But, the length of our front molding is 1050 mm (appx.)! What am I missing here?
Old 02-24-14, 05:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

It's a question of function vs style. I think the moldings look terrible on the car in any position, but if they're unusually high they'll look even more out of place.
I'd rather get the occasional ding and have it PDR'ed than stick moldings on the car. Especially in an atypical spot.
Old 02-24-14, 05:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Moldings do help but not for every ding no matter what height the install.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It's a question of function vs style. I think the moldings look terrible on the car in any position, but if they're unusually high they'll look even more out of place.
I'd rather get the occasional ding and have it PDR'ed than stick moldings on the car. Especially in an atypical spot.

This is what your GS would look like with moldings.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-24-14 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 01:33 PM
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know there's two camps on like or not like. We DO like them - the boring, solid sheet of metal is just TOO plain for our tastes. Still have to find the right location for them, however. I don't know what PDR'd means, but can assume it's some kind of fix-up. To us, there's nothing pretty about seeing a door ding on a nice, shiny new door - kinda sickens us. Plus, then the expense and bother. Get one a month? Then what, fix one every month? Huh uh - hopefully not.
Old 02-24-14, 01:52 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you do a search on this forum you'll see a discussion for and against. I'm with you and like to break up the plain sheet metal doors, and don't like dings. Yes, door molding cannot protect against all dings, but should help, especially in tight urban areas or malls. You'll still get that moron that will park their big SUV or trash truck right up next to you and let their door swing open.

I think what PDR is paintless dent repair. It's better than bondo and repaint, but I'd still don't want to get dings in the first place.
Old 02-24-14, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
This is what your GS would look like with moldings.
My eyes!

Originally Posted by Arty101
I don't know what PDR'd means, but can assume it's some kind of fix-up. To us, there's nothing pretty about seeing a door ding on a nice, shiny new door - kinda sickens us. Plus, then the expense and bother. Get one a month? Then what, fix one every month? Huh uh - hopefully not.
PDR stands for paintless dent removal. Google it, PDR techs massage door dings out from behind the panel using a bunch of special tools and skill. Its incredible to watch, and the result is undetectable as long as you have a good tech.

As for one ding a month? Where are you parking? Even family members of mine that just park *anywhere* don't get one ding a month, maybe 2-3 dings in a vehicle's 5 year stay with them. Anyways with careful parking, your risk of door dings can be mitigated greatly. Lets just put it this way, since 2003 I have had a grand total of two door dings, both removed by PDR at a cost of maybe $80 each. Neither of which was on a spot where moldings would have helped...in fact they were both on my 03 ES which had the moldings from the factory.

I know I just totally jinxed myself LOL

If you like the moldings, find but they're not going to offer you much, if any protection.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-24-14 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 05:29 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My eyes!

I know I just totally jinxed myself LOL
That's alright. Their leased right?
Old 02-24-14, 05:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arty101
That's alright. Their leased right?
Yeah but I'm still picky lol
Old 02-24-14, 11:42 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One can never appreciate a door molding until you see a huge damage to the molding instead of your door. This happened to me and I am thankful I had a door molding installed. Yes, a molding cannot protect you 100%; but when you see that on a lucky (?!) instance where the molding serves its purpose, for me it's worth having it. I've experienced severe damage in my other car (with no molding) where the paint had been scraped down to the metal and the offending vehicle's paint also becoming etched on my door. Fixing this type of damage is going to cost a lot of $ and headache, especially with the pearl finishes on the Lexus.

I had problems with dealer-installed moldings where the molding somehow "shifted" or moved toward the front of the car over time. Dealer said they installed according to the parts manual. I liked the position (height) where it was installed. The left-to-right position of the molding is not too critical. Just make sure you have enough clearance from the front door when installing the rear moldings: 5-7 mm from the door edge should be good.

Just a suggestion: When in doubt, clear-tape the molding on the door first and step back and see for yourself to assess the (height) position that suits your liking.
Old 02-25-14, 03:04 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=I'm with you and like to break up the plain sheet metal doors, and don't like dings. Yes, door molding cannot protect against all dings, but should help, especially in tight urban areas or malls. You'll still get that moron that will park their big SUV or trash truck right up next to you and let their door swing open.

I think what PDR is paintless dent repair. It's better than bondo and repaint, but I'd still don't want to get dings in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what pdr stands for... funny ( ironic ) this came up because just this past saturday I'm walking up to my car in a mall parking lot ( nobody parked near me ) and the sunlight catches the back door just right and there it is, a "ding".... not bad, but I've already called a friend of mine who happens to own a body shop.... told me to bring it up and they could pdr it for a very nominal fee... which I fully intend to do.... afterall, car's only 5 weeks old.... anyway with regard to the body mouldings... Personally I like them, like the lines they produce asthetically... but obviously they don't protect from "every" ding.... but I've had them on other cars and they do help in many cases... just my opinion.

Poppa

Last edited by Poppa; 02-25-14 at 03:10 AM. Reason: trying to add picture
Old 02-25-14, 08:07 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one car with, one without them. On the car with, it saved me one car ding for sure. I Iike the looks too.

As far as where to install them, I'd follow the manufacturer's instructions on where to put them. They have their reasons for recommending a certain location.
Old 02-26-14, 02:19 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I think I finally was able to figure out how to post a pic on this forum..... here's a pic of my ES with the body side moldings...

Old 02-26-14, 05:58 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I think I finally was able to figure out how to post a pic on this forum..... here's a pic of my ES with the body side moldings...

Nice color!
Old 02-26-14, 09:20 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

it looks good. Like the side molding .
Old 02-26-14, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've noticed that when the molding is installed in such a way that it slopes downward towards the front as it does in Poppa's thread, it looks better and follows the lines of the car better. If you look at the 4GS Joe posted with the moldings further up in the thread, they are just parallel to the ground and really look tacked on IMHO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side moldings DIY: is std. location too low to protect from dings?