ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

voice recognition

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 06:35 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default voice recognition

File this one under the catagory of " not very important"... but I would like the answer if someone has it. When I was test driving a lexus several weeks back, I can remember the sales lady actually telling the car to turn up the temperature on the car's heater.. it went up 4 degrees.... I've been trying to do the same thing since I bought the car, but so far no luck. I asked someone at the dealership what was the "prompt" and they said just say cooler or warmer... so I pushed the button on the steering wheel, let the "lady" finish.. then I said warmer..... the "lady" obviously didn't understand what I was saying.... tried this over and over and but to no avail...... can someone here tell me the actuall prompts to do this... like I said not important, I;m old school, so I have no problem adjusting the temp with the buttons on the dash... just want to learn how to do it. Thank you guys. ( and gals )

Roland

btw, other than temperature and using the phone, are there any other things you can "verbally" tell the car to do?
Old 02-02-14, 06:07 AM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

On my isf, I just say the temperature and she will change it to my command. Ie. 23 degrees. And the autonatic climate will change.

There are tons of commands. I think there is even a command list that is available through the system and in your owners manual. Skip songs.state radio stations. Input destinations. You can even tell it to show all fast food locations and the icons should pop up.
Old 02-02-14, 06:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jlam86
On my isf, I just say the temperature and she will change it to my command. Ie. 23 degrees. And the autonatic climate will change.

There are tons of commands. I think there is even a command list that is available through the system and in your owners manual. Skip songs.state radio stations. Input destinations. You can even tell it to show all fast food locations and the icons should pop up.
There is a lot of good information in the manuals. Especially handy with all of the tech and features in today's cars.
Old 02-02-14, 12:11 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

After reading your post, I went out and tried using voice to control the temps. I first said "temp 74" when the set temp was at 72. The computer said "pardon". I tried again w/o success. I then said "warmer" and she said "warmer is that correct"? Answer yes and the temp went up 4 degrees to 76. Tried "cooler" and the temp went down to 72. I turned the radio off and tried voice control saying "radio". Radio came on to AM. I said "satellite" and it went to XM. Very cool! Can't wait to try other functions.
Old 02-04-14, 03:17 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
After reading your post, I went out and tried using voice to control the temps. I first said "temp 74" when the set temp was at 72. The computer said "pardon". I tried again w/o success. I then said "warmer" and she said "warmer is that correct"? Answer yes and the temp went up 4 degrees to 76. Tried "cooler" and the temp went down to 72. I turned the radio off and tried voice control saying "radio". Radio came on to AM. I said "satellite" and it went to XM. Very cool! Can't wait to try other functions.
bc.... for the last couple of days I tried the same thing... other than using the phone or setting a destination, whenever I verbally told the car to do something else like turn on the radio or warmer or cooler, I got the "pardon" message over and over... then tonight I figured it out..... for those of you want to be able to do this you have to go into the voice set up menu...... here's the steps for it..........

1- menu
2- set up
3- voice
4- expanded voice command
5-turn on
5-save.

for me the problem was because the expanded voice command was turned off.. why? I have no idea... but after turning it on, it works great.... hope this helps.

Poppa
Old 02-04-14, 07:41 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've posted my grievance with the voice recognition in all of the new Lexus models before so I won't go over that again, but they've dumbed down the system from previous generations and commands like what jlam86 suggested aren't possible.

One thing that has made it more useful is turning off the voice prompts so that you only get a beep to issue commands and not get the ridiculously long delay of the "Lexus gal". Also, when confirming commands you don't need to wait for the screen to change or come up on the screen, just the beep. e.g.

Push the talk switch,
As soon as you hear the [Beep]...
Warmer
[Beep]
Yes

Ah, and if you're saying "Cooler" instead this time of year... I need to come visit.

Last edited by amphipri0n; 02-04-14 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 07:48 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

This is why I like this forum so much. There's always someone else with a good idea. I also dislike waiting for the "Lexus Gal" to finish talking. Now I'll just listen for the beep. And all of my temp commands - at least for now - have been "WARMER!"

Thanks AMP.
Old 02-04-14, 07:59 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to turn "Voice Prompts" off, I think it's right off the shortcut menu (after you push talk) also somewhere in the settings area
Old 02-04-14, 08:41 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Even if you don't turn voice prompts off, you can just push the "talk" button and say the next command without waiting for the "Lexus Gal" to respond with each prompt.

It saves a lot of time.

Last edited by jonmanch; 02-04-14 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 01:49 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, and save lots of frustration too.