Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Hit wheel on curb in new es300h - what is fair price to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 06:58 PM
shark485
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit wheel on curb in new es300h - what is fair price to fix?

Drove my previous Acura TL for 11 years and never hit a curb! Get brand new shiny Lexus es300h and get wheel rash parking downtown within one month! I admit I am to blame with no excuses.

Having said that, what price sounds fair to repair it?

I've heard quotes ranging from $90-$125, as well as DIY options.

Old 12-01-13, 05:11 AM
txes
Lead Lap

In Dallas it will run about $125.00 for them to come to your house and fix the wheel.

Not a bad price when you consider the alternative.
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=251380225805

John
Old 12-01-13, 07:26 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

I actually didn't know that a wheel with this damage could be repaired. That they can do it on the road is a real surprise. I had damaged a wheel some years ago and had it repaired but it never looked as good as new.

$125.00 don't sound too bad...
Old 12-01-13, 08:05 AM
CodemanGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shark485
Drove my previous Acura TL for 11 years and never hit a curb! Get brand new shiny Lexus es300h and get wheel rash parking downtown within one month! I admit I am to blame with no excuses.

Having said that, what price sounds fair to repair it?

I've heard quotes ranging from $90-$125, as well as DIY options.

IMO, Two options; either buy a new rim from; Your Dealer, Sewell Lexus of Dallas, OR E-Bay, Take this to a generic tire shop and Replace. Just make sure you get the TPMS. That would be a HUGE problem, if you don't. OR.... sand 'rash' down and just paint with silver. Rim will still hold air, but just look bad. A GOOD reminder to keep your focus as you 'back up'. Best of Luck.
Old 12-01-13, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by CodemanGS
sand 'rash' down and just paint with silver. Rim will still hold air, but just look bad. A GOOD reminder to keep your focus as you 'back up'. Best of Luck.
Wheel repairs when done right actually look great. I had a wheel scuffed on my 2010 ES and a guy at the dealer did it while I waited and you would never know. I paid him $50 cash since he was already out at the dealer working on their CPO stock.
Old 12-01-13, 01:51 PM
shark485
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I will prob pay to get it repaired - no plans to replace the wheel since the damage doesn't bother me visually enough to buy a new wheel.

Based on feedback, I might contact the dealer to see what it would cost. $50 sounds great, but I know I cannot expect that.
Old 12-01-13, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the $50 was just being in the right place and the right time. He didn't want to have to go through creating another ticket through the dealer because he was already there and had already done all the tickets for the cars he was doing that day. I would say expect to pay $100-$125.
Old 12-01-13, 06:36 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$90+
for a lil sanding and paint?

id say my local place back in sd would take care of that for $50.

****, id say you do it yourself!
Old 12-01-13, 06:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody's going to do it for $50 unless it's an off the books thing. $100 is cheap to fix a $400 wheel, it takes tools and experience. You could do it yourself but the paint won't match and it will look like crap.
Old 12-01-13, 07:06 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Nobody's going to do it for $50 unless it's an off the books thing. $100 is cheap to fix a $400 wheel, it takes tools and experience. You could do it yourself but the paint won't match and it will look like crap.
i know prices will vary depending city/state/region/etc

BUT, i speak from having expensive, aftermarket wheels with hardcore curb damage repaired, in which there was sanding, tig filling, and polishing involved.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...6-10-24-a.html

i think those were $70 each to repair and if you care to look, youll see that the damage was much worse than this OP's damage.

now, there was no paint involved with those, but i cant imagine the touch up costing that much.

also, if it were a diy job, i thought the touchup paint for the wheels was available via lexus? that would help with the paint matching, yeah?

although admittedly ive never repaired (with paint) a stock wheel. with the exception being a wheel on a rental car that i slightly curbed, and sanded down so that the rental company wouldnt charge me some ridiculous amount of money.

i have to politely disagree that it takes tools and experience to fix OP's shallow curb damage. the wheel isnt bend/cracked/similar so i dont think there would be any tools involved. it looks to me as if you could get away with hand sanding it.

eh, i could be wrong though. i dont think im always right, i just feel like you are having to pay more than what i would have to pay back when i was in san diego (i havent found a repair shop in hawaii yet) and i also feel that since you drive a lexus that they some shops might automatically raise their prices when they see you.

Last edited by Dawa; 12-01-13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus does not offer touch up paint to match the wheels. It has to be mixed and matched. Repairing that damage involves sanding, filling, painting with an airbrush multiple layers of paint and clear. It's not a job just anybody can do well.

It's like PDR, you need the tools and experience to do it well. You won't find a. Good PDR tech who will do a dent for $50, and you won't find a good wheel guy who will do a wheel like that for $50 either. The tools involved include the ability to match the paint and the equipment to apply the paint to the wheel.

Anyways, it's almost a $50,000 car, why let $50-$75 stand between a crappy or even okay job and a great job?
Old 12-02-13, 04:40 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by shark485
Thanks for the replies. I will prob pay to get it repaired - no plans to replace the wheel since the damage doesn't bother me visually enough to buy a new wheel.

Based on feedback, I might contact the dealer to see what it would cost. $50 sounds great, but I know I cannot expect that.
If you're dealing with Johnson in Raleigh, they have a Paintless Dent company there virtually every day, they may also have a rim guy, as well. I used their PDR on a ding on a black IS, in the curved part of the door--repaired perfectly, could never find it again. $99.

There is also a Rim Guard truck parked in New Bern overnight, they have folks around the state that do repair.
Old 12-04-13, 12:43 PM
chileboy
Rookie

I have the 2013 ES350 with 18" alloy wheels and did exactly the same thing in a store parking lot. After putting 300K (yes, 300K) on my 2002 ES and never doing so. I flipped - my girlfriend got out and looked (it was on the passenger side) and made a face that I knew it wasn't good. When I saw it, I made such an, um, racket that people were looking at me from three rows away.

ANYWAY, I have a relationship with a local body shop, and they have a guy that does these repairs, and he assured me that he could fix it. Well, it took him only an hour or two, and I could not believe it. Even though I knew exactly where the damage was, I could not see the repair. I was amazed.

He charged me $70, his normal fee. I gave him $80.
Old 12-04-13, 04:24 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The guys who do specialty repairs, including paintless dent removal, leather and other interior repairs, and wheel finish repairs are usually happy to have the opportunity to make their money in a variety of ways. Besides working a day or two a month at each of many dealers in a geographic area, the paintless dent removal guys, for example, are usually ready to travel a good distance to chase hail storm damage repairs. And, in this area, at least, they are also happy to work directly for the car owner and to leave the dealership out of the equation.

Over the years, I've found it to be advantageous to get to know and to build a relationship with these repair people, and, when I have need for a repair, I call them directly and find out where to meet up with them, whether it be at a dealership where they are working or at their own shops, and, without the dealership taking a cut, repair costs have been quite reasonable. My paintless dent guy, who does a superb job, has taken out door pops and hail dents for as little as $25, and he has never charged me more than $40, and that was for multiple dents. My leather/interior repair person repaired a nasty gouge on the glove box of my GX for $40, and he also repaired a gouge in a leather seat for $45. And the wheel repair person who works this area did a repair similar to the one needed by the OP for $40. Again, getting to know these guys can lead to significant cost benefits, and it also doesn't hurt if they know that you will be referring others who need repairs to them.
Old 12-04-13, 04:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Good points. I did the same thing on window tinting for both cars,. I found out who does some of the dealerships in the area and went directly to their shops (one 3M and one Llumar) and saved a good amount of money for great jobs.

Quick Reply: Hit wheel on curb in new es300h - what is fair price to fix?