Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h MPG going down and down...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 11:39 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

jakepdx, winter's cold temperatures (this morning it was 8 degrees when I left my house to drive to work) can have even an even greater affect on MPG than 1 or 2 mpg. I usually get between 38 and 40 mpg into NYC until I get off the expressway. This morning with the extremely low temp, I got 29 mpg. No other changes to my driving habits. Wait until the weather gets warmer to be really concerned with mileage. 40 degrees probably still affects mileage.
Old 01-07-14, 04:38 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone see a significant improvement in mileage after their first 3k miles?
Old 01-08-14, 12:59 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jakepdx
I've got a 2014 ESh with 750 miles on the odometer and am getting about 30mpg. I asked the dealership about this, and they told me that it will get gradually better for the first 3,500 miles because the batteries need time to reach peak performance. I expected to be getting 40mpg. Any thoughts on this?

ps - sorry for the cross-post on this other thread, but aside from ElliotB, it seems like this is a different group of people.
I actually wound up here because I have the same question. I have a 2014 es300h with 1300 miles on it and I averaged 30 mpg on my last tank based on manual calculations. (I can't figure out how to get the hybrid display to show the mpg either so if anyone cares to point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.)

For the first couple tanks I was averaging about 36 mpg. The last tank was very low and it surprised me. Each time I fill up the tank the display promises me 550+ miles but the reality is closer to 450-475.

I live in San Diego - so no extreme cold here - but we do have hills. Driving pattern hasn't changed since the last tank. Kinda sad.
Old 01-08-14, 01:49 PM
jonmanch
Driver

MissyBissy, if you press the "DISPLAY" button on the steering wheel, it scrolls through a number of informational screens on the dashboard. One of thos screens says something like "Since Last Fill Up". That is your average mpg for that tank, although it seems to be about 1-2 mpg higher that calculating mileage manually.
Old 01-08-14, 02:39 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonmanch
MissyBissy, if you press the "DISPLAY" button on the steering wheel, it scrolls through a number of informational screens on the dashboard. One of thos screens says something like "Since Last Fill Up". That is your average mpg for that tank, although it seems to be about 1-2 mpg higher that calculating mileage manually.
How did I manage to not push that button?

I filled up last night and have driven 17 miles on this tank of gas and am averaging 33.9 mpg. Since it's all stop and go traffic it's still much better than what I was getting in my Odyssey....
Old 01-08-14, 03:08 PM
jonmanch
Driver

That screen resets itself every time you get gas.
Old 01-08-14, 04:51 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Even in Calif where it hasn't gotten too cold, they've changed to winter formula gasoline which isn't as good as the summer grade. There are other tricks in improving your mpg, but read through some of the advice in this forum first. There's a lot of good advice from lots of good folks here. Your fuel economy should improve over time.
Old 01-10-14, 03:10 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to achieve the best fuel mileage, check out Prius Chat for hypermiling tips. These techniques include pulse and glide, turning off your heater and air-conditioner, etc.

When hypermiling in the ES300h, my wife tells me to stop and just drive and enjoy the car. Cold weather will kill your fuel mileage. The ICE runs more to heat the cabin and maintain normal operation temperature.

The ES is a large car. I averaged 54 MPG in the Prius IV over 19,000 miles, achieve 38 MPG highway and 34 MPG city in the ES, but so far the IS struggles to maintain 24 MPG. Hypermiling in the IS using ECO only increases the mileage by 1 - 2 MPG.

If you're getting at least 32 MPG in the winter, that number is likely normal.
Old 01-10-14, 06:28 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm surprised the IS is getting only 24 mpg. I expected better without knowing the listed FE.
Old 01-11-14, 08:45 AM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I'm surprised the IS is getting only 24 mpg. I expected better without knowing the listed FE.
I was expecting slightly better mileage from the IS. It's interesting that my 335xi also achieved 24 MPG travelling the same commute, but that car was a rocket ship. While the IS250 is silky smooth and fun to drive, the gas mileage could be better. I have given up on trying to get good fuel mileage and started having more fun with the car. The IS, for the most part, delivers a great driving experience due to handling and the power band in the V6. The car also requires premium fuel, so I guess if you spring for a Lexus with a smooth and refined V6, one can't complain about spending extra bucks for gasoline.

I drive both the ES300h and IS250 AWD almost daily. Of course, they offer a different driver experience. The ES offers a more comfortable ride while the IS delivers crisp handling and is simply more fun to drive. On a road trip, we take the ES, while I like to jet around town in the IS.
Old 01-11-14, 10:05 PM
scoobysnac
Driver School Candidate

One thought: Check your tire pressure.
Old 01-13-14, 04:30 AM
shark485
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
I actually wound up here because I have the same question. I have a 2014 es300h with 1300 miles on it and I averaged 30 mpg on my last tank based on manual calculations. (I can't figure out how to get the hybrid display to show the mpg either so if anyone cares to point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.)

For the first couple tanks I was averaging about 36 mpg. The last tank was very low and it surprised me. Each time I fill up the tank the display promises me 550+ miles but the reality is closer to 450-475.

I live in San Diego - so no extreme cold here - but we do have hills. Driving pattern hasn't changed since the last tank. Kinda sad.
This is just one data point from a new car:

I got the gas buddy iPhone app to help with calculations and am about to hit 3000 miles. My first 3 tanks were 36.6, 36.8 and 38.8. Seems to be going up and the later tanks include some longer distance trips (3-4 hours) which seem to really improve mileage as you keep driving.

To check mpg, there is a display button from steering wheel that gives mpg since last refueling and avg. also, the center console has readings in 15 min intervals if you view the CAR option.

I definitely am taking a hit in the winter and it looks like the readings are indeed a couple miles off from manual calculations (I.e. 40.2 was 38.8 most recently). And there is a lot of great info on this thread too.
Old 01-13-14, 07:55 AM
jonmanch
Driver

The temperature has gone up and so has my mileage. In the arctic weather we just had, my mileage was 28.5 mpg. It is now back to around 36.

Yesterday, when driving at highway speeds, I got about 40.1.
Old 01-13-14, 04:07 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Notice the change to the HVAC system, both A/C and Heat, when you switch the Drive Mode to "Econ". You will get lower fan speeds and slower response times to outside temp changes. The exhaust manifold actually has an engine coolant loop around it to capture the very first available heat to speed up the time the engine can shut off...and use no fuel. The energy management of the 300h is quite remarkable. I don't use the "Econ" setting often, don't care for the soft tip-in response of the accelerator pedal around town but you can demonstrate the heater changes pretty clearly with it.
Old 01-15-14, 09:15 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
Notice the change to the HVAC system, both A/C and Heat, when you switch the Drive Mode to "Econ". You will get lower fan speeds and slower response times to outside temp changes. The exhaust manifold actually has an engine coolant loop around it to capture the very first available heat to speed up the time the engine can shut off...and use no fuel. The energy management of the 300h is quite remarkable. I don't use the "Econ" setting often, don't care for the soft tip-in response of the accelerator pedal around town but you can demonstrate the heater changes pretty clearly with it.
Can I get the same results with the climate control without switching into ECON? I've tried using that setting but it doesn't lend itself well to San Diego freeways. I've switched off the climate control all together and my average mileage jumped from 34.6 mpg to 42.1 mpg.

Quick Reply: ES300h MPG going down and down...