ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 10:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Nope. Always thought if you brought your Audi A8 W12 to Toyota for general service, you might have some warranty issues down the road.
Nope, you can have your car serviced anywhere, or service it yourself and they cannot void the warranty, as long as you have records...
Old 11-19-13, 12:50 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys heard of eOilchange.com?
3 oil changes for $30 bucks on a Groupon deal.
In the San Diego area Lexus of El Cajon honors these.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/e-oilch...om-6-san-diego
Old 11-19-13, 02:28 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Nope, you can have your car serviced anywhere, or service it yourself and they cannot void the warranty, as long as you have records...
Nice to know. I'll remember to explain that to Lexus the next time they say that the other shop, be it JiffyLube or SpeedDee didn't have the right equipment or knowledge to service my 300h due to the complexity of the hybrid and denied warranty coverage. We're talking about both the minor and major services, not just an oil change. Talk to the hand or to the other shop
Old 11-19-13, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nice to know. I'll remember to explain that to Lexus the next time they say that the other shop, be it JiffyLube or SpeedDee didn't have the right equipment or knowledge to service my 300h due to the complexity of the hybrid and denied warranty coverage. We're talking about both the minor and major services, not just an oil change. Talk to the hand or to the other shop
Did Lexus try to deny you warranty coverage? What was the issue?

Theres nothing so complex about the hybrid system that anybody can't change the oil. Even in the minor and major services, all we're really talking about is an oil change or tire rotation and them inspecting things for tens of thousands of miles before you get into any sort of "real" service. Anybody can perform this work on any car, hybrid or not.

I had a Prius for years, had it serviced at Toyota, independent shops, JiffyLubes...no problem.
Old 11-19-13, 04:11 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope, but I can see a case for any dealer, Lexus or otherwise deny warranty based on the "other" guy's service. And yes, most of the major service are for fluid changes, special inspection on top of the routine oil and tire rotation.

For instance, if your JiffyLube used a generic Peak or the yellow Prestone antifreeze on your Lexus or Audi, you'd think there wouldn't be a warranty issue down the road? There may be other specific or proprietary chems all these auto makers use in addition to their own antifreeze. Is there some magic pixie dust in their chems? I don't know, but just asking the question.
Old 11-19-13, 04:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

It has been decades, now, since states started passing laws saying that maintenance did not have to be done by the dealer to maintain warranty rights. At this point, I don't think that Lexus or a Lexus dealer would even question where the work was done unless there was something obviously amiss, such as running with the oil level 3 quarts low or having brake fluid in the crankcase.
Old 11-19-13, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, but I can see a case for any dealer, Lexus or otherwise deny warranty based on the "other" guy's service. And yes, most of the major service are for fluid changes, special inspection on top of the routine oil and tire rotation.
lesz is right, this just doesn't happen. The law is very clear, and the last thing Lexus wants to do is get drug into some public battle over denying warranty claims. Its a hard case to make that someone other than Lexus changing oil or rotating tires contributed to the failure of some warrantied component.

I've owned 6 Toyota/Lexus products over the last 15 years. All of them have at one point or another been serviced by someone other than Lexus/Toyota. I have never had a dealer question that when doing warranty work, never. We're on the largest Lexus owners forum on earth...whens the last time you read a thread about Lexus denying a warranty claim for *any* reason, let alone because someone other than Lexus serviced the car? I've been around these forums for 10+ years and I cannot remember reading a single thread on that subject.

This is straight from the ESh service booklet:

You may have maintenance per- formed on your vehicle by any qualified person or facility. However, Lexus recommends having maintenance performed by an authorized Lexus dealership.
For instance, if your JiffyLube used a generic Peak or the yellow Prestone antifreeze on your Lexus or Audi, you'd think there wouldn't be a warranty issue down the road? There may be other specific or proprietary chems all these auto makers use in addition to their own antifreeze. Is there some magic pixie dust in their chems? I don't know, but just asking the question.
You have to make sure that the correct fluids are being used. The only proprietary fluid in the car is the coolant, and make specific coolants are very common across many manufacturers nowadays, even some place like JiffyLube is going to know that there is a special coolant. If you're worried about it, buy and bring your own coolant. Anyways, nothing has to be done with your coolant, its a long life coolant.

I just flipped through the ESh's maintenance schedule, other than oil changes and tire rotations and checking that the drivers floor mat is installed properly, etc...the only other items are to replace the air filters, replace the battery in the key, and change the brake fluid every 30k miles. I just don't see paying Lexus $130 an hour to do this stuff.

If it gives you a warm fuzzy to use the dealer, or you enjoy the level of service and convenience go for it...but its *very* expensive.
Old 11-20-13, 05:14 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
change the brake fluid every 30k miles.
A little off topic, but really? What's wrong with Lexus' brake fluid, that it needs to be changed that frequently?
Old 11-20-13, 05:33 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
A little off topic, but really? What's wrong with Lexus' brake fluid, that it needs to be changed that frequently?
When I recently took my GX in for service (at a Toyota dealer), I asked the service adviser the same question. His answer was that, over time, moisture can build up in the brake fluid. He also indicated that there was little risk in going a bit beyond 30,000, but that it definitely should be replaced at somewhere near that mileage. I got the feeling that doing so was more of a precaution and protection against a problem that might happen, as opposed to one that was guaranteed to happen.
Old 11-20-13, 06:40 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
When I recently took my GX in for service (at a Toyota dealer), I asked the service adviser the same question. His answer was that, over time, moisture can build up in the brake fluid. He also indicated that there was little risk in going a bit beyond 30,000, but that it definitely should be replaced at somewhere near that mileage. I got the feeling that doing so was more of a precaution and protection against a problem that might happen, as opposed to one that was guaranteed to happen.
This is exactly right - it's not that the fluid degrades that much (although it does), it's that moisture builds up causing possible problems throughout the braking system.

Bill G
Old 11-20-13, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
These guys answered pretty well...
Old 11-20-13, 04:10 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm impressed brake fluid is listed on the service interval. I change all my cars brake fluids about every 4 years or less.

much cheaper than calipers. in the long run.
Old 01-24-14, 06:17 PM
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is there a chance Lexus will deny my 4 yr. warranty?

Just bought a 2013 Lexus ES350 with 4K miles through a private owner. It is one year old+, almost exactly. The elderly couple (orig. owners) were under the impression that it needs it's first ("free") maintenance visit at 5K miles, not realizing as I just was reading, that it's 5K miles or 6 mos., whichever comes FIRST. In fact, they have just passed the first yr. anniversary with no apparent visit. I'm a little concerned they will try to deny the 4-year warranty (3 year balance, in actuality) - car is running fine, of course. Any info or opinions on this?
Old 01-24-14, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don't worry about it one bit. The 5k mile service is just a tire rotation.
Old 01-24-14, 07:49 PM
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you; you've given me some peace of mind.

Quick Reply: 5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?