ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pre-Collision System (PCS) engaged for no reason while crossing metal drawbridge

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 05:04 PM
jrlxr7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCS System

Candidly, I have had the car since June and put 6500 miles on it. I was wondering why I had never experienced the blinking lights or braking and even checked my window sticker to reassure myself I had purchased the car equipped with PCS. I read the manual and found that the PCS system was turned OFF. I was surprised to see the control in the glove box, especially when there are two dummy switches near the driver. I will wait and see how it works. Thank you for pointing out your experiences and that the braking can actually make the tires screech.
Old 10-20-13, 05:17 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrlxr7
Candidly, I have had the car since June and put 6500 miles on it. I was wondering why I had never experienced the blinking lights or braking and even checked my window sticker to reassure myself I had purchased the car equipped with PCS. I read the manual and found that the PCS system was turned OFF. I was surprised to see the control in the glove box, especially when there are two dummy switches near the driver. I will wait and see how it works. Thank you for pointing out your experiences and that the braking can actually make the tires screech.
If the light "PCS" on your dash is visible, the PCS is actually turned off.
Old 10-20-13, 05:32 PM
jrlxr7
Driver School Candidate

Default PCS light on

Wow, thanks for bringing that to my attention, I thought it was the opposite. I will now check to see if I have PCS activated or not.
Old 10-20-13, 06:07 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrlxr7
Wow, thanks for bringing that to my attention, I thought it was the opposite. I will now check to see if I have PCS activated or not.
Yes, I know it's weird.

Page 307 of manual:

The “PCS” warning light turns on when pre-collision system is disabled.
Old 02-27-14, 10:45 AM
JoeyLind
Driver School Candidate

I know it's been awhile but has anyone else had this happen to them recently? If so where and what set it off? Thanks!
Old 02-27-14, 02:25 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had it go off a many times as it should - never giving a false alarm. On one occasion, I misjudged how close I was to the car stopped in front of me. On another, a driver pulled in front of me when he should not have.

I am pleased with the system and would not drive a car without it.

Last edited by ElliotB; 02-28-14 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 11:19 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It happened to me for about half a second last night when I was driving home on a Parkway. I think the car thought I was too close to a side rail around a curve. It did not brake but only set off a sound and I barely had time to see the center screen behind the wheel flash something in red. It happened and was finished in less than a second.

Last edited by jonmanch; 03-02-14 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-01-14, 07:21 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove over a road construction metal plate (the ones they use to cover up repair road sections) after it had rained and the seat belts automatically pulled tight, lights and peeps came from the dash, and the brake was engaged. My wife was in the car at the time. She looked at me shocked like I had did it. I told her the car did it. It only lasted a few seconds but it was unnerving at the time. I can only imagine what the system would do going over a wet metal bridge.

Last edited by KennyLexus; 03-02-14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-03-14, 04:20 PM
gappell
Rookie

Default 8 years later......

I have a 2007 ES350 with the PCS and adaptive cruise control. It was the first Lexus to have the feature and it was standard with the Ultra Luxury package. I am surprised to find people owning ES350's with the PCS as it is no longer in the UL package. As a matter of fact, local dealers say it requires special order and a 4 week wait for delivery. They are all negative on it.

I had problems with it initially in 2006 when I first bought the car. I would get false triggers and braking for no reason. After numerous attempts at correction I filed a lemon law complaint. They flew in an engineer from Japan with new software that corrected the problem. They gave me a platinum warranty (100,000 miles) for my trouble. I now have 95000 miles and wanted a new one but hate the style and lack of new features.

Note that almost all car makers offer PCS and adaptive cruise control. If Ford can make it work why can't Lexus.
Old 03-04-14, 12:16 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"If Ford can make it work why can't Lexus."

Lexus has always been an automotive innovator and had their first PCS in 2003 on their then flagship model, the LS430.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ls-430/

They have had their advanced pre collison system available for several years which offers even more safety to the occupants of the vehicle. Almost all other auto makers are finally catching up.

I have owned Fords and always liked them, but there is no doubt that Lexus is the way to go, especially based on Ford's recent track record. While Lexus vehicles are not perfect, they are pretty darn close and are consistently better than any other auto maker.