ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Water/Moisture in Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 03:24 AM
userguam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/Moisture in Fog Lights

Dealer did repair work on front bumper. Now, after reinstalling a new front bumper, I noticed water starting to form inside the fog light assembly after it has rained. Dealer says this is normal due to our tropical weather. This has never happened prior to the repair work that was done.

Is this a plausible explanation that dealer is telling me? I don't buy this explanation one bit.
Should I be concerned about other damages this moisture may cause? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Water/Moisture in Fog Lights-img_7102-copy.jpg  
Old 08-26-14, 06:12 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long does it take to completely dry?
Old 08-26-14, 07:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Sounds to me like a gasket has been damaged or replaced incorrectly when the lights were removed from the old bumper and replaced in the new one. Should be NO moisture inside ANY lights for ANY period of time. Think the dealer is blowing smoke...
Old 08-26-14, 08:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Sounds to me like a gasket has been damaged or replaced incorrectly when the lights were removed from the old bumper and replaced in the new one. Should be NO moisture inside ANY lights for ANY period of time. Think the dealer is blowing smoke...
I agree.

My understanding is that, in Guam, there is only one Lexus dealer, and, based on the experiences described in the thread linked below, it does not appear that the body shop of that dealership is particularly skilled in doing high quality repairs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...rking-lot.html
Old 08-26-14, 04:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
+1 Bob. Bad seal or incorrectly installed.
Old 08-26-14, 05:02 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the diagram of the parts:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...300h-2014.html

Either the housing is cracked, or the gasket is not sealed.

The install instructions likely don't say anything about sealant. New bulbs come with a gasket that has the needed sealant. To re-install an old bulb, though, you should add some new sealant on the gasket.

After you get it dried out, you will want to seal the gasket...

Use the silicone grease, the same stuff divers use to seal their O-rings. It takes just a very tiny little bit. Spread it around on the black rubber gasket. Try not to get any on the glass. Danco silicone grease goes for about $4 for a half-ounce container, which should last you for many years.

(Do not use "plumbers grease". The petroleum grease dissolves most common black rubbers.)
Old 08-26-14, 05:41 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-0-5...8693/203193536
Old 08-26-14, 07:51 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Maybe this a good time and excuse for you to upgrade to led fog lights found on 2014 or where some here have upgraded with HIDs.
Old 08-27-14, 01:43 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by userguam
Dealer did repair work on front bumper. Now, after reinstalling a new front bumper, I noticed water starting to form inside the fog light assembly after it has rained. Dealer says this is normal due to our tropical weather. This has never happened prior to the repair work that was done.

Is this a plausible explanation that dealer is telling me? I don't buy this explanation one bit.
Should I be concerned about other damages this moisture may cause? Your thoughts are appreciated.
My personal opinion is the dealer is handing you a crock of BS... Please don't accept that explanation... years back I bought a brand new Olds 98. I had the car one week and noticed there was water in the right headlight after I had washed the car. In a day or two it dried out but then it rained and again, water in the same headlight. Just so happened that the dealership called to see how happy I was with the new Olds... I told the rep about the headlight and she put me thru to the service manager... He proceeds to tell that it's normal and all I have to do is run my headlights on high beam whenever possible and that will help dry out the moisture. When I asked him what caused the moisture, he told me it was because we live in the south where it's very humid.... not wanting to be argumentative ( but being a bit of a smart a$$ ) I said great! So when do you want me to bring the car into the shop? He reminded me that he had explained the moisture was normal, so why did I want to bring the car in... my answer was a simple one.. I told him that since it was"normal" for this to happen, I needed to bring the car in because the other head light and both tail light's were dry as a bone, and since I was pretty sure that the humidity was the same "all the way around the car", that must mean that there was something wrong with the other headlight and tail lights.... I took the car in a few days later and they replaced the headlight assembly... problem solved. Like I said, dealer is handing you a line of crap in my opinion...

Poppa
Old 08-27-14, 10:43 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poppa
My personal opinion is the dealer is handing you a crock of BS... Please don't accept that explanation... years back I bought a brand new Olds 98. I had the car one week and noticed there was water in the right headlight after I had washed the car. In a day or two it dried out but then it rained and again, water in the same headlight. Just so happened that the dealership called to see how happy I was with the new Olds... I told the rep about the headlight and she put me thru to the service manager... He proceeds to tell that it's normal and all I have to do is run my headlights on high beam whenever possible and that will help dry out the moisture. When I asked him what caused the moisture, he told me it was because we live in the south where it's very humid.... not wanting to be argumentative ( but being a bit of a smart a$$ ) I said great! So when do you want me to bring the car into the shop? He reminded me that he had explained the moisture was normal, so why did I want to bring the car in... my answer was a simple one.. I told him that since it was"normal" for this to happen, I needed to bring the car in because the other head light and both tail light's were dry as a bone, and since I was pretty sure that the humidity was the same "all the way around the car", that must mean that there was something wrong with the other headlight and tail lights.... I took the car in a few days later and they replaced the headlight assembly... problem solved. Like I said, dealer is handing you a line of crap in my opinion...

Poppa
Ha! Love that answer!! My husband is a Service Manager.. Will have to tell him this story!
Old 08-27-14, 10:48 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Poppa
Comes from a man of experience, and smarts .
Old 08-27-14, 11:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

When I asked him what caused the moisture, he told me it was because we live in the south where it's very humid.... not wanting to be argumentative ( but being a bit of a smart a$$ ) I said great! So when do you want me to bring the car into the shop? He reminded me that he had explained the moisture was normal, so why did I want to bring the car in... my answer was a simple one.. I told him that since it was"normal" for this to happen, I needed to bring the car in because the other head light and both tail light's were dry as a bone, and since I was pretty sure that the humidity was the same "all the way around the car", that must mean that there was something wrong with the other headlight and tail lights.... I took the car in a few days later and they replaced the headlight assembly... problem solved. Like I said, dealer is handing you a line of crap in my opinion...

Poppa
What I'd like to know is what is the proper procedure for repairing the 3 lights that did not have moisture? Is it as simple as drilling small holes in each of the lenses, or is it a more complicated repair that requires special equipment? If it does only involve drilling holes in the lenses, how do you know that the holes would not be letting out moisture, instead of letting in moisture that is supposed to be there?
Old 08-27-14, 12:12 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

No mystery on this one. Service Writer slinging BS and hoping it will stick...