ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

UL vs non UL comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 07:43 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UL vs non UL comparisons

Drove out some distance (80+ miles) yesterday to drop off the ES to get some warranty work done. (check the ML amp, driver door creak and trunk release switch recall) and got another ES as a loaner, it came moderately loaded, with Nav, park assist, and BSM+RCTA. Figured I'd share some thoughts:

The loaner actually came with the 18" rims and Bridgestones. My car also originally came with these before I had them replaced and the ride was just as I remembered-- very good on well paved roads, but really stiff when hitting any kind of rough patches. Tires were inflated normally.

The interior leather and touch surfaces did not feel as smooth or supple as on the UL. I expected this on the seats obviously, but even on the remote touch controller, the steering wheel leather wrap, the plastic used on the belt buckle, etc. felt more coarse which was a surprise and left me with a different impression. I thought this maybe due to the fact that it is a loaner thus probably older and has seen more wear, however, it only has 3000 miles, while my ES is nearing 7300.

The standard moonroof actually offers more area for the driver than the drivers moonroof on the panoramic roof. Surprisingly the panoramic glass roof is noticeably quieter than the regular moonroof, esp. when the sunshade is open. I've read reports claiming the opposite, but today I drove the same long stretch of freeway on the same day in the same windy conditions and there was more wind noise present with the standard moonroof than the pano glass roof with the sunshade drawn. I had to double check the controls to make sure it was completely closed.

The audio system sounded good, though lacking in the low end and not as crisp or clear. My only critique, and this applies to the ML equally is that the soundstage height could definitely be raised in general for the vehicle. I'm sure this is a result of speaker placement or how they are angled, but the sound from the door speakers registers "low" (as in height).

On the trip I did not miss lane departure or auto high beam assist or ambient lighting (daytime!) but I'm definitely glad it had blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert, Nav and the backup camera. I did miss the ML system.

Overall, I think the UL is a tangible upgrade that is worth it for anyone who is considering the ES

Last edited by amphipri0n; 10-06-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 03:50 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Thanks for the insight, tough to pick up on the subtle features on a test drive with spouse and salesperson aboard. BTW the ML has 3 pairs of front dash speakers while the regular has 3 singles up there. Also the
rear doors have extra tweeters (0.9 inch!) just below the window...way below your front seated ears. I can
hear a presence from them that is cool but might be your soundstage height.