ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

HID availability with LKA, RCC and UL

Old 10-03-13, 01:25 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does your HID do the self leveling check? Does your Window Sticker say HID with Auto Leveling? I think not, but maybe I'm wrong, but read through the previous HID threads on the 2013 ES.
Old 10-03-13, 01:35 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Does your HID do the self leveling check? Does your Window Sticker say HID with Auto Leveling? I think not, but maybe I'm wrong, but read through the previous HID threads on the 2013 ES.
Not sure who you are referring to but yes, I have seen my headlights go up then down to level themselves. And no, my window sticker has no mention of HID as I have previously stated in these threads.
Old 10-03-13, 03:04 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Strange, my 300h which does have HID, but does not have the self leveling check at start up like other HID systems. Nor do they adjust for hill crest or dips, which means they aren't auto leveling.
Old 10-03-13, 03:37 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one thing is for sure. Even the non-HID lights are pretty damn bright if we all can't figure out if we have HID or not. The 2007 ES350 I traded in had horrible lighting. That was the only complaint I had about that car.
I'm happy with my headlights no matter if there HID or not.
Old 10-03-13, 04:25 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

When I bought my GX several years ago, it was hard for me to believe that HID headlights were not even available on that vehicle at the time. Instead, Lexus was using the projector beam halogen lights without any option to upgrade to the HID headlights. When those headlights are not turned on, their appearance could easily fool someone into believing that he/she was seeing HID headlights because they look essentially the same as HID headlights. Even when they are turned on, they do look bright, but, if I turn on the headlights of both that GX and my 2013 ES with HID headlights when they are parked next to each other in the garage, it is easy to see the difference, but I'm guessing that there are at least a few ES owners who think, because of the similar appearance, that they have HID headlights but who, in fact, have the standard projector beam halogen lights. Unless the HID headlights are listed on the window sticker with the other options on the right side of the sticker, I'm skeptical about whether the vehicle has the HID headlights.
Old 10-03-13, 05:33 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Easy way to tell. Turn them on with the car off. If you hear a load buzzing up front, you have them.
Old 10-03-13, 05:46 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike728
Easy way to tell. Turn them on with the car off. If you hear a load buzzing up front, you have them.
I just tried it. And I guess I do have them.. My car was buzzing!!
Thank you for making it easy!
Old 10-03-13, 07:15 PM
jollick
Racer

Default HID Lights

Perhaps this will help and put the HID or Halogen question to bed. I opened the ES300h owners manual (PDF) and looked at the self service part regarding the headlamps. There was a diagram which I have attached below and it shows how to replace the Halogen light. It also states if you have HID to go to the Lexus Dealer for them to replace it bulb. Then I opened my hood and looked at the light sockets. They had covers on them, like a HID would have. I removed the cover and saw an HID socket, I removed the bulb and there was no question, it was an HID bulb, I put the bulb back in. Then I took a couple of photos and attached them. I also took a photo of what I believe to be the leveling motor, I could be wrong on that one.

HID availability with LKA, RCC and UL-halogen-headlight-replace.jpg

HID availability with LKA, RCC and UL-hid-with-cover.jpg

HID availability with LKA, RCC and UL-hid-socket.jpg

HID availability with LKA, RCC and UL-level-motor.jpg

Any Questions?
Old 10-03-13, 08:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Yep they look like HIDs. And you say they are auto leveling and do the "bounce" during the initial check?
Old 10-03-13, 09:00 PM
brittmayo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
Perhaps this will help and put the HID or Halogen question to bed.
Thanks, Jollick. Now when they tell me that the combination cannot be done, I can be firm in telling them that this is incorrect. That's a big help.
Old 10-03-13, 09:05 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Perhaps this will help and put the HID or Halogen question to bed. I opened the ES300h owners manual (PDF) and looked at the self service part regarding the headlamps. There was a diagram which I have attached below and it shows how to replace the Halogen light. It also states if you have HID to go to the Lexus Dealer for them to replace it bulb. Then I opened my hood and looked at the light sockets. They had covers on them, like a HID would have. I removed the cover and saw an HID socket, I removed the bulb and there was no question, it was an HID bulb, I put the bulb back in. Then I took a couple of photos and attached them. I also took a photo of what I believe to be the leveling motor, I could be wrong on that one.

Attachment 300032

Attachment 300033

Attachment 300034

Attachment 300035

Any Questions?
Mine look the same.. Thank you for going through the trouble of figuring it out.
Old 10-04-13, 05:14 AM
jollick
Racer

Yep they look like HIDs. And you say they are auto leveling and do the "bounce" during the initial check?
Arty, they do not move as much as my 2006 GS300 AWD which has adaptive lighting. I don't always part in a place where the lights are shining on a wall at night either. But when I have, I have seen them go up and down when I start the car.
Old 10-04-13, 09:20 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Arty, they do not move as much as my 2006 GS300 AWD which has adaptive lighting. I don't always part in a place where the lights are shining on a wall at night either. But when I have, I have seen them go up and down when I start the car.
My HIDs don't do the auto leveling check nor adjust for change in angle of approach. At the next service, I'll ask my SA if my HID auto leveling is defective, missing or working as designed but very fast.

Can I say Lemon Law?
Old 10-04-13, 12:54 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

My HIDs don't do the auto leveling check nor adjust for change in angle of approach. At the next service, I'll ask my SA if my HID auto leveling is defective, missing or working as designed but very fast.

Can I say Lemon Law?
Mine move up/down slightly at startup, listed on the window sticker as High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps, $515 (non-UL package). It's not nearly as noticeable as the RX 400h and an IS 350 I had with the "steering" lights. You could even notice those move up as you braked with a flat vertical surface ahead of you.
Old 10-05-13, 11:08 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jim256
Mine move up/down slightly at startup, listed on the window sticker as High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps, $515 (non-UL package). It's not nearly as noticeable as the RX 400h and an IS 350 I had with the "steering" lights. You could even notice those move up as you braked with a flat vertical surface ahead of you.
You might be noticing the HID bulbs igniting and turning on. I don't notice any leveling whatsoever on my ES. On both my Audis that have the auto leveling, you can distinctly tell when it does it. First the passenger side will dip and adjust, then the driver. This was on a car with cornering lights and one without, same outcome. Pretty positive the Lexus doesn't have it as I don't see any motor or gearing to run the stabilization.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID availability with LKA, RCC and UL