ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

TPMS and Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 07:56 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS and Snow Tires

I am likely going to purchase a set of snow tires mounted on a separate set of wheels for my ES300h (via TireRack.com). My understanding is that the 2013 ES will only recognize genuine Lexus TPMS sensors. Thus, I'm hoping others who have gone this route can provide some advice and answers...

- Any idea what the price of genuine Lexus TPMS sensors are?
- Any suggestions on where to purchase them?
- Will programming be needed each time I swap the tires/wheels?
- Any other suggestions/advice?

If the dealership needs to reprogram the TPMS sensors every time I swap between the snow tires and all-seasons (i.e. twice a year), then I may just live without TPMS and deal with the dashboard warnings. (I'm a little OCD, so that won't be easy!)

FYI: My previous car (Acura) would automatically recognize the TPMS sensors after a few miles of driving. No special programming needed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-13, 11:47 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Sewel has the TPMS for 82.32
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5849.html

2. Many people love Sewel

3. Yes and there are instructions on how to reset the TPMS in the manual. I don't have it handy or I would point you to the page number. It's easy to do since it is something you might need to do if you changed the inflation pressure of your tires for some reason.
Old 09-16-13, 12:30 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, but I found this on page 697 in the section where it talks about the TPMS so it may require having the transmitter codes registered by Lexus:
Registering ID codes
The tire pressure warning valve and transmitter is equipped with a
unique ID code. When replacing a tire pressure warning valve and
transmitter, it is necessary to register the ID code. Have the ID code
registered by your Lexus dealer.

EDIT: I read the description at Sewel in the link above and they indicate that it does have be done at the dealership, but the car can handle two sets of codes, so you would only have to do it once:
The transmitter ID codes for two sets of tires - such as regular and winter - may be registered in the system (ID registration must take place at a Lexus dealership).

Info about resetting after changing inflation starts on page 700.

Last edited by atoyota; 09-16-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 11:48 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atoyota
Sorry, but I found this on page 697 in the section where it talks about the TPMS so it may require having the transmitter codes registered by Lexus:
Registering ID codes
The tire pressure warning valve and transmitter is equipped with a
unique ID code. When replacing a tire pressure warning valve and
transmitter, it is necessary to register the ID code. Have the ID code
registered by your Lexus dealer.

EDIT: I read the description at Sewel in the link above and they indicate that it does have be done at the dealership, but the car can handle two sets of codes, so you would only have to do it once:
The transmitter ID codes for two sets of tires - such as regular and winter - may be registered in the system (ID registration must take place at a Lexus dealership).

Info about resetting after changing inflation starts on page 700.
Got it. Thank you so much for the info! I'll keep everybody posted on how this turns out.
Old 09-19-13, 12:02 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does that mean only the dealer can install new tires to make the TPMS work?
Old 09-19-13, 07:51 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
Does that mean only the dealer can install new tires to make the TPMS work?
My understanding is YES, but ONLY for the initial programming.

Theoretically, once that initial programming is done, the car should be able to see both the new TPMS sensors (new set of snow tires/wheels) AND the old TPMS sensors (original all seasons/wheels) with no other dealer intervention.

I'll keep everybody posted on how this works out. I'll be ordering snow tires/wheels in late October, but don't anticipate mounting them until ~Thanksgiving.
Old 09-03-14, 08:33 AM
bfmike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
Can you update your experience with winter tires and TPMS sensors.
Does this mean I need to buy a set of new OEM TPMS sensors from the dealer? If I buy a set of aftermarket units off ebay... will it work?
Thanks
Old 09-03-14, 09:18 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

The dealer will charge $100 just to program the sensors. Call some local tire shops and find one that has the proper tool to program them for you. America's Tire and Discount Tire can do it. Make sure they add the ID to the car's computer or else the car will not recognize them. (Some places might not know this)

And make sure you write down the ID just in case something goes wrong.
Old 09-03-14, 09:49 AM
bfmike
Driver School Candidate

I haven't bought the TPMS sensor yet... I read on some of other treads where some people were getting TPMS sensors for $100 for 4 on Ebay.

just wondering if they will work. Anyone know a reputable seller on ebay.
Old 09-03-14, 02:16 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

TPMS sensors we offer are factory equivalent and brand new. They are the same sensor that you would obtain from the dealership, without the Lexus/Toyota branding. Generally speaking for most Toyota/Lexus vehicles, they do need to be sync'd to the vehicle by the dealer, a local tire facility, or one of our installers to make them work.

If you want to order sensors by themselves, an order would need to be called in.

I know there are ways for owners to perform the sync themselves for some vehicles, if the code is available. When ordering a wheel/tire package from us, we can record the codes prior to mounting and balancing, but you would either need to call the order in to let us know you would like that info, or reference that you would like the codes in the customer comment section of the check out process.

I am always here to help.

-AJ
Old 09-03-14, 04:36 PM
bfmike
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-14, 05:05 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

You are welcome.

-AJ
Old 09-28-14, 11:50 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bfmike
Hey,
Can you update your experience with winter tires and TPMS sensors.
Does this mean I need to buy a set of new OEM TPMS sensors from the dealer? If I buy a set of aftermarket units off ebay... will it work?
Thanks
I bought my snow tires / wheels / TPMS sensors from Tire Rack, and had the dealer sync them to the car.

Unfortunately, the dealer told me that the ES can only hold one set of codes at a time. Thus, every time I switch between snow and all-seasons, I need to have the dealer re-sync.

Not happy, but it is what it is.

Consequently, I am a huge fan of snow tires. The traction is significantly improved, and you save wear on the all-seasons.
Old 11-21-14, 03:45 AM
jaysyed007
Driver School Candidate

Default Price

Originally Posted by chewbach
I bought my snow tires / wheels / TPMS sensors from Tire Rack, and had the dealer sync them to the car.

Unfortunately, the dealer told me that the ES can only hold one set of codes at a time. Thus, every time I switch between snow and all-seasons, I need to have the dealer re-sync.

Not happy, but it is what it is.

Consequently, I am a huge fan of snow tires. The traction is significantly improved, and you save wear on the all-seasons.

Can you please tell us how much did the dealership charge you for the sync?
Old 11-21-14, 06:54 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaysyed007
Can you please tell us how much did the dealership charge you for the sync?
$40, but it was complicated.

At the time, I was due for my 15k service. I asked them via phone if they would sync the tires instead of rotating them since I was just putting on my brand new snow tires/wheels. They said they would charge $40 - the same amount they said the would charge for the rotation. However, when I went to pay, they wanted to charge $80. I explained what they had told me on the phone, and they adjusted to $40, but told me the person who committed that amount made a mistake. I proceeded to express my frustration with the idea that I had to spend $80 twice each year to simply have them sync the tire change. They told me that the 1st sync was a bigger deal, but subsequent syncs wouldn't be, and could be "absorbed" into my normal 5k service. However, given the outrageous price of those 5k services (I think they wanted to charge something like $240 for my 15k service - which DOESN'T INCLUDE an oil change), there's no way I'm using them for normal 5k services.

That being said, I'm about to put my snow tires on for the season and may call the local Toyota dealership to see what they would charge to sync them. I have also seen posts that some tire shops (like Tire Discounters) may also be able to sync them. Thus, I'll be exploring a few options.

Quick Reply: TPMS and Snow Tires