ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What kind of mpg would I get w/ 300h in Sport mode all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 10:09 AM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of mpg would I get w/ 300h in Sport mode all the time?

Hello,

I was curious if anyone left their 300h in sport mode for an entire tank of gas and checked their MPG? I admit I have a lead foot and wear very heavy shoes.
Old 08-27-13, 10:56 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Trouble is, you need to always reset it back to Sport mode. You tell us how much mpg you'd get with a lead foot.
Old 08-27-13, 11:07 AM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
Trouble is, you need to always reset it back to Sport mode. You tell us how much mpg you'd get with a lead foot.
I probably average around 20mpg in my 2001 acura TL.
Old 08-27-13, 11:31 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Ouch! I hope you get much better with the 300h.
Old 08-27-13, 12:54 PM
boe
Driver

If anyone drives normal mode all the time (never eco) and also has a lead foot, that might give me an estimate of what sort of MPG I can expect.
Old 08-27-13, 03:10 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 'mode' selector simply controls the distance the accelerator pedal needs to be depressed in order to achieve a specific RPM. For example, 3000 RPM in ECO mode has the same amount of power as 3000 RPM in SPORT mode. But you have to push the accelerator down a lot more in ECO mode than in sport mode to achieve 3000 RPM.

I get pretty much the same fuel efficiency in all 3 modes.
Old 08-27-13, 03:58 PM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by ElliotB
The 'mode' selector simply controls the distance the accelerator pedal needs to be depressed in order to achieve a specific RPM. For example, 3000 RPM in ECO mode has the same amount of power as 3000 RPM in SPORT mode. But you have to push the accelerator down a lot more in ECO mode than in sport mode to achieve 3000 RPM.

Good to know - thanks.
Old 08-27-13, 04:15 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've seen that said and repeated here several times, but I don't believe that it is correct.

First, there is a definite change in transmission shift points depending on which mode is being used. Also, there is a change in how much the air conditioner compressor is being used depending on the mode. I suspect that there are also other differences that are less apparent.
Old 08-27-13, 05:19 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Lesz, the OP is referring to the 300h where there are no shift points in the transmission.

Not sure about the a/c, you may be right. The bottom line is that I get pretty much the same fuel efficiency in all 3 modes. A lead foot will yield pretty much equally poor FE (poor for the 300h).
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (04-13-22)
Old 08-27-13, 06:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Lesz, the OP is referring to the 300h where there are no shift points in the transmission.

Not sure about the a/c, you may be right. The bottom line is that I get pretty much the same fuel efficiency in all 3 modes. A lead foot will yield pretty much equally poor FE (poor for the 300h).
I know that the 300h does not have a traditional transmission, and, since I have a ES350, I can't say for sure how the ES300h is set up, but my guess would be that, if you try normal acceleration in the 3 modes and when the gas engine is being used, it will show different rpms at comparable speeds in the 3 different modes (with the sport mode the highest and the eco mode the lowest) and, also, that the engine will be running at higher rpms in the sport mode when you are, say, ascending a steep hill. As an experiment, when you are going up a steep hill, start in eco mode and change over to normal or sport mode. I'll bet that, as soon as you change out of the eco mode, the rpms will increase.
Old 08-27-13, 07:48 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

probably 80% of my miles are on highway and I have heavy shoes too. still getting 37+mpg / tank.

but I do try to coast. I'd probably be around 35 if I didn't look at the mpg graph.

I use the go peddle when I need to, but still watch the trip mpg graph, its a little game we all play.
Old 08-27-13, 08:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Bill, on with you on this too. I'm getting between 38-39 mpg without really paying attention, but I do try to coast as much as I can. I've changed the mileage bar graph on the Nav screen for maps/radio, but using the smaller dashboard panel's FE readout. This lets me keep half an eye on my current FE, so I don't go hog wild.
Old 08-27-13, 09:32 PM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
Bill, on with you on this too. I'm getting between 38-39 mpg without really paying attention, but I do try to coast as much as I can. I've changed the mileage bar graph on the Nav screen for maps/radio, but using the smaller dashboard panel's FE readout. This lets me keep half an eye on my current FE, so I don't go hog wild.
My guess is I'll get around 34 MPG since in LA you go from 0-75 and 75-0 frequently on the highway.
Old 08-28-13, 06:06 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Lesz, while you are technically correct, the car's power is basically the same at any given RPM regardless of the mode. In ECO and NORMAL modes, you have to push the the throttle more to get the same RPM level/power as in SPORT mode and while in SPORT mode, you have to go lighter on the throttle to get the same RPM level/power as in ECO and NORMAL.

So if you are going up a hill and need 3000 RPM for sufficient power, you may have to depress the accelerator pedal 1" in SPORT mode while you may need to depress it 3" in ECO mode (I am guessing at the amounts - I have not measured) - the amount of power at 3000 rpm in each mode is the same.
Old 08-28-13, 08:48 AM
CurryPot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport mode will in most cases suck your MPG. My 12.2 mile commute to work yields around 40 mpg traveling no faster than 45 mph on average. In Sport mode this morning it dropped to 33 mpg, wanted to give you real world feel.

Sport mode will remap the throttle, provide more power to the climate control system AND double the voltage at the inverter where you will see your battery drain a whole lot quicker. The battery takes a hit in Sports mode on two fronts.

You can keep your mpgs up in Sport mode by pulsing and gliding but it makes for a very uncomfortable ride.

Quick Reply: What kind of mpg would I get w/ 300h in Sport mode all the time?