ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models
Old 12-12-14, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

ES Suspension...'13 and '14...modifications?

Old 10-18-13, 08:20 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ES Suspension...'13 and '14...modifications?

Looking at ES and GS...'13 and '14. Like a lot about the ES but would prefer a little "firmer" suspension. Nothing radical...just a little firmer feel around clover leafs and in fast moving freeway traffic. I know that the GS*would be a great answer but I also would like a larger back seat...that is comfortable for three adults...at least for moderate time frame. Also, I have to admit I am attracted to the lower price point.

The GS forum is full of discussions regarding aftermarket changes you can do to alter suspension and other other items...not so much this ES forum??

In the past I have dome minor modifications to improve handling...example...larger sway bars and firmer, premium shocks. Sometimes the changes are from a "sportier" version of the same car.

Is there an option to improve basic handling on the ES...again...not revolutionary but evolutionary??

Make any sense...kind of like an F-Sport ES

Thanks...Tom
Old 10-18-13, 09:24 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

The ES is more of a cruiser, than a performance car. All I've seen as far as modifications, is lowering springs and wheels. The car actually handles quite well on the stock 18" wheels, though.
Old 10-18-13, 12:32 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mike728
The ES is more of a cruiser, than a performance car. All I've seen as far as modifications, is lowering springs and wheels. The car actually handles quite well on the stock 18" wheels, though.
Thanks Mike...pretty well aware that the GS is more of a "performance" car...but I would have thought there was some level of aftermarket...or compatible Lexus..."upgrades" for the '13 ES to make the suspension just a bit more firm and trackable?? Sure wouldn't hurt?

Nothing out there...,maybe everyone who like just a bit more "sport" than stock buys the GS instead??

Tom
Old 10-18-13, 01:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Thanks Mike...pretty well aware that the GS is more of a "performance" car...but I would have thought there was some level of aftermarket...or compatible Lexus..."upgrades" for the '13 ES to make the suspension just a bit more firm and trackable?? Sure wouldn't hurt?

Nothing out there...,maybe everyone who like just a bit more "sport" than stock buys the GS instead??

Tom
One of the reasons for the lack of aftermarket parts is that the average age of new ES buyers is a bit older, and therefore not much interest (it used to be up around 60 but may be coming down a bit with the new generation). I would think though that as that age comes down with pre-owned buyers etc. more would start appearing on the market.
Old 10-18-13, 02:26 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you test drive the ES with the optional 18" wheels/tires. Definitely firms things up...
Old 10-18-13, 03:58 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
One of the reasons for the lack of aftermarket parts is that the average age of new ES buyers is a bit older, and therefore not much interest (it used to be up around 60 but may be coming down a bit with the new generation). I would think though that as that age comes down with pre-owned buyers etc. more would start appearing on the market.
I think we "Baby Boomers" helped transition the US market toward more "European" firm suspension. To think we still seek "floater" suspension is a mistake. I see Lexus with the F-Sport category trying to recognize the desire for Lexus quality and "quiet"...along with firmer base suspension. Hope the after market does come up with at least a moderate after market suspension "upgrade" for the ES.

Tom
Old 10-19-13, 10:28 AM
BobSagat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Only suspension mods I could find for mine were 2007-2011 Camry TEIN springs or coilovers. If you want a stiff ride with better handling and less body roll the TEIN springs/coilovers will definitely do that for you.

I went from driving on fluffy clouds to feeling 100% of the road.

(20's with small tires didn't help either)
Old 10-19-13, 11:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
I think we "Baby Boomers" helped transition the US market toward more "European" firm suspension. To think we still seek "floater" suspension is a mistake.

Tom
While that may be the case for some, I'm not at all sure that it is the case for the majority. As a baby boomer, 25 years ago, I would not have considered buying a car like the ES because I would have placed adept handling at a premium. But, as the years have passed, my driving style and my taste in vehicles has shifted. Now, I place a premium on cabin isolation from wind, engine, and road noise, and I want a "more comfortable" ride. And, even if I still wanted the better handling that comes with a firmer ride, I would also be wanting a rear-wheel drive vehicle and not a front-wheel drive ES.

Regardless of their age, I can't imagine the ES being the choice for most of those whose priority is how well the vehicle does at being a canyon carver. For me, I don't want a rear-wheel drive vehicle because I want the added security of front-wheel drive on winter roads, and I don't want an all-wheel drive vehicle because I don't want the loss of fuel economy that comes with all-wheel drive. Thus, front wheel drive is, for me, a nice compromise between maintaining decent fuel economy and having added security on slippery winter roads, and, in making that compromise, I'm willing to sacrifice in the area of precise handling. In the luxury segment, even the entry luxury segment, there aren't many choices available for this type of front-wheel drive vehicle, and the ES may well best meet the needs for those who want that kind of vehicle. On the other hand, if I were looking for better handling than the ES offers in its standard configuration, instead of doing suspension mods, I'd be looking at one of the rear-wheel drive offerings, such as the GS or one of the BMWs, Audis, Infinitis, etc.
Old 10-19-13, 01:11 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with lesz.

I have had sports cars and six sports sedans all with AWD. Gas mileage was lousy, but they were fun to drive. I have an ES 300h which will help in winter with FWD. I have had to compromise on handling for a more comfortable ride and great mpg. My wife likes it more than my previous sports sedans because it is roomier and more comfortable.

I love driving my ES. I agree with lesz that if you want a car with better handling, buy a different car.
Old 10-19-13, 01:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When the previous gen ES and IS came out Lexus' strategy was to offer the larger, softer etc. ES for those looking for ride comfort, quiet etc., etc. and the IS for those looking for a sports sedan (RWD or AWD and 2 engine choices). That still holds true with the new of ES and IS. Add in the GS and there are a lot of choices depending on preferences and pocketbook.
Old 10-19-13, 02:13 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmanch
I agree with lesz.

I have had sports cars and six sports sedans all with AWD. Gas mileage was lousy, but they were fun to drive. I have an ES 300h which will help in winter with FWD. I have had to compromise on handling for a more comfortable ride and great mpg. My wife likes it more than my previous sports sedans because it is roomier and more comfortable.

I love driving my ES. I agree with lesz that if you want a car with better handling, buy a different car.
One other factor, which may not be important to some, is that doing mods like altering the suspension and lowering the vehicle are a great way to significantly reduce the re-sale value of a vehicle, and that is especially true with a vehicle like an ES.

While those kinds of mods might have lots of appeal to some potential buyers, for the majority of potential buyers, they will cause them to immediately dismiss any possibility of purchasing the vehicle, and reducing the pool of potential buyers can only reduce the likely selling price. And, again, that is even more true with a vehicle like the ES because the majority of ES buyers are looking for that comfortable, quiet cruiser the way that Lexus designed it, and, if they were looking for something sportier, they would likely be looking to buy an IS, GS, or any of the similarly designed vehicles from other manufacturers.
Old 10-21-13, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

There aren't really any aftermarket mods out there for the ES because there is no demand. Its not an enthusiast vehicle...

If you want an firmer ride in that price point I would look at some other cars. Have you driven a Hyundai Genesis? More of the GS type setup at the ES price point. The Acura TL is an option, but its pretty tight inside. Chrysler 300C?