ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Anyone else feel like the ES doors almost have a tendency to want to "spring" back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 12:50 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Anyone else feel like the ES doors almost have a tendency to want to "spring" back?

Not anything to really do about it, but it seems whenever I open my door like halfway, the doors want to rebound closed. Just incredibly annoying, passengers seem to notice it also.

I've owned like 5 Lexus, this is the only one I've ever owned that felt like that. Most of the time, I open the door, and when I stop "opening" it, it stays in place. Not the ES doors, it's like you have to completely open them to the furthest point (usually not possible) for it to "stick" in place.
Old 04-15-21, 04:29 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have similar annoyances with this, too. When open fully, it does seem to hold it's position. When opened partially to where you can feel it hold, if the vehicle isn't level, it will come back towards you. I do know for the weight of the door it shuts much easier than other vehicles, though that is probably not related? But it is a sign of quality. I had a Buick that did the same thing with coming back at you when you didn't expect it.
Old 04-16-21, 07:34 AM
tstewart77
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yes it’s annoying. I actually shut the door on my fingers this way last week. Ow!

Originally Posted by oreguyd
I have similar annoyances with this, too. When open fully, it does seem to hold it's position. When opened partially to where you can feel it hold, if the vehicle isn't level, it will come back towards you. I do know for the weight of the door it shuts much easier than other vehicles, though that is probably not related? But it is a sign of quality. I had a Buick that did the same thing with coming back at you when you didn't expect it.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (04-16-21)
Old 04-16-21, 01:45 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Heh, I almost make a game of it. Can I open the door and get in before the door closes. Then, let the door close while I turn on the engine, etc. The door closing is just another "automatic" feature of the car. =)

Ditto for getting out. I open the door and get out and move out the way. Maybe someone notices that, "Wow, that car closed the door by itself after he got out!" Heh....
oreguyd (04-16-21)
Old 04-17-21, 07:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

On my 2019 UL I find that - on a level surface - if I open the door to the first detent it holds; if I continue to the fully open position it holds. This is not the case on a sloped driveway or street. Like kijug I try to get in before the door closes by itself but half the time I bang my head on the roof... What annoys me is I find the door, when open to it's full position, is too far away to grab hold of the handle. My left arm is of average length (I guess) so the engineers that designed this system must have long left arms... A minor annoyance so I just open the door to the first stop (halfway) and avoid it...
Old 04-17-21, 03:20 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I drove my 2013 ES for 3 1/2 years, and I've now had my 2017 ES for 4 1/2 years. During those 8 years, I never noticed anything unusual about the doors, but, after reading the posts in this thread, I've become aware of the "automatic closing" feature of the doors.
oreguyd (04-17-21)
Old 04-17-21, 03:28 PM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Not anything to really do about it, but it seems whenever I open my door like halfway, the doors want to rebound closed. Just incredibly annoying, passengers seem to notice it also.

I've owned like 5 Lexus, this is the only one I've ever owned that felt like that. Most of the time, I open the door, and when I stop "opening" it, it stays in place. Not the ES doors, it's like you have to completely open them to the furthest point (usually not possible) for it to "stick" in place.
These doors on the 6th Generation are long and heavy, and there is great feeling of solidity with these doors when they close. Yes, you have to be careful with them being on an incline, and that is when the doors "close by themselves" Sure, they could have installed some type of hinge mechanism like on the SC 300 and SC400 where they never closed by themselves. But I am sure it would have been cost prohibitive for them to implement this in the 6th generation.
oreguyd (04-17-21)
Old 04-17-21, 06:41 PM
oreguyd
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a good point about older cars that you had to physically close the door. The low seating on this car makes a tricky entry and exit for tall and older folks like me, to boot. The narrowing parking spots make it impossible to open the doors fully when there's a car next to you.
Lexuss07 (04-18-21)