Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h Loaner Review

Old 08-20-13, 03:42 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default ES300h Loaner Review

I took my GS in for maintenance today and to my surprise I was given an ES300h as a loaner (not even 200 miles on the odo!) Funny thing is I could not get a GS loaner because I am under 25. Go figure I can own it but can't "loan" it lol. Anyways, after driving around town all day I am a true fan of the new ES hybrid. I was underwhelmed at first. I mean I knew it wasn't a v8 but man it was slow. Then I realized I was in Eco. Once I switched over to sport, I was blown away by the way this thing accelerates. The combined power of the the engine and the electric motor is more than enough for this car. Then when you wind down and cruise along, the real world mpg is more than decent. I actually decided to keep the car overnight and enjoy the stellar mpg for a little longer before going back to my gas guzzling GS. Well I'm just about done rambling. One day in the future when Lexus NA brings the GS450h F-Sport to the US maybe I'll join the hybrid crew.
Old 08-21-13, 01:55 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GS's big advantage (but not the only advantage) over the ES is its improved interior materials. It of course also has some advanced options available that are not available on the ES and many improvements you can't see. Otherwise the ES and GS are quite similar in many ways in styling anyway. When I had my 11 ES 350 in for service a while back, I had a 2013 GS as a loaner for several days and liked it a lot. For the money, the ES offers a lot of car.

I agree, a GS hybrid model would be of great interest to many who have complained about the increased use of plastic in the interior of the new ES.
Old 08-21-13, 06:29 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I took my GS in for maintenance today and to my surprise I was given an ES300h as a loaner (not even 200 miles on the odo!) Funny thing is I could not get a GS loaner because I am under 25. Go figure I can own it but can't "loan" it lol. Anyways, after driving around town all day I am a true fan of the new ES hybrid. I was underwhelmed at first. I mean I knew it wasn't a v8 but man it was slow. Then I realized I was in Eco. Once I switched over to sport, I was blown away by the way this thing accelerates. The combined power of the the engine and the electric motor is more than enough for this car. Then when you wind down and cruise along, the real world mpg is more than decent. I actually decided to keep the car overnight and enjoy the stellar mpg for a little longer before going back to my gas guzzling GS. Well I'm just about done rambling. One day in the future when Lexus NA brings the GS450h F-Sport to the US maybe I'll join the hybrid crew.
An ES hybrid interesting, I have never seen one at my dealership wish they had one here would be nice to test.
Old 08-21-13, 02:40 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OP review inspired me to "build" a roughly comparable GS hybrid to my '13 ES300h.
Wow, the price differential is astounding and no doubt acceptable to some. Though I could afford this, the shortfall of MPG is a deal-breaker as the quest for superior efficiency was a prime directive.
Old 08-22-13, 07:17 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigblack06
An ES hybrid interesting, I have never seen one at my dealership wish they had one here would be nice to test.
It's a great car. I've seen a couple people banter on how it's not worth the price of admission over the Prius. I don't see how that comparison can be made after driving both. If luxury and efficiency is your goal, then there's no comparison to be made at all. Overall, the ES was a true gem to drive.
Originally Posted by Fly4u
The OP review inspired me to "build" a roughly comparable GS hybrid to my '13 ES300h. Wow, the price differential is astounding and no doubt acceptable to some. Though I could afford this, the shortfall of MPG is a deal-breaker as the quest for superior efficiency was a prime directive.
I completely understand. Owning a GS currently and seeing an avg 18mpg( on a good day!), my preference would be something more along the lines of a performance hybrid, and the GS fits that bill nicely.
Old 08-22-13, 08:49 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fly4u
The OP review inspired me to "build" a roughly comparable GS hybrid to my '13 ES300h.
Wow, the price differential is astounding and no doubt acceptable to some. Though I could afford this, the shortfall of MPG is a deal-breaker as the quest for superior efficiency was a prime directive.
This was definitely a compromise in my choosing the 350 over a hybrid, electric or advanced diesel engine. Currently averaging 25mpg combined, I feel it's decent (considering the size of the engine), but when I see 300h owners here at 39-40, it does make me pause and consider that I am not completely following my own "prime directive" which is to send the least amount of $ to the Middle East as possible-- I think a shared ideal among a lot of people here in the US, and a contributing factor to the success of hybrids here since the mid 2000s.
Old 08-22-13, 10:03 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

True, but the grass seems to be greener on the other side. Look at the MKZ and the Fusion's 45-47 mpg. These are the most comparable hybrid lux cars with higher FE compared to the 300h. Although the Prius has higher FE, it isn't a lux car nor in the same class.
Old 08-22-13, 12:27 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by Arty101
True, but the grass seems to be greener on the other side. Look at the MKZ and the Fusion's 45-47 mpg. These are the most comparable hybrid lux cars with higher FE compared to the 300h. Although the Prius has higher FE, it isn't a lux car nor in the same class.
I haven't followed the MPG shortfalls from EPA suffered by the 2013 Fusion Hybrid since my decision to purchase the ES300h. Last I heard they are achieving sub-40, though Ford has promised retroactive improvements.
Old 08-22-13, 02:08 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I have read the same, that most hybrid Fords aren't getting anywhere near the 47 mpg, and more like sub 40's. Someone on this board (another thread) mentioned only the Ford C-Max is being revised on the epa.
Old 08-22-13, 02:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

According to Consumer Reports:

55% of the hybrids they tested fell short of their EPA estimates by 10% or more.

28% of small turbos fell short by 10% or more.

10% of conventional cars fell short by 10% or more.

Several Ford and Lincolns were at the top of the hybrid list, led by the MKZ Hybrid which missed the EPA estimate by 11 mpg's in their Road Test. The ES300h and Avalon Hybrid were on the list too, but both of them missed by 3 mpg's.
Old 08-22-13, 08:36 PM
jrlxr7
Driver School Candidate

I totally lost faith in Consumer Reports when they claimed in their 2013 road test article that the 2013 ES had lowered its interior quality from the prior year. They gave the ES350 an 80 out of 100 and the ES300h an 82. CR's total embrace of the Tesla giving it a 100, without a dealer network and its limited (although for an electric significant) range was also disturbing. Over the years it seems that I disagree with CR more frequently than I agree, especially in their treatment of Ford and Lincoln.
Old 08-23-13, 06:59 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Once I switched over to sport, I was blown away by the way this thing accelerates. The combined power of the the engine and the electric motor is more than enough for this car.
I agree. It has very sufficient power. That was a major concern for me when I was deciding on hybrid or not. I mean, when I pulled out into traffic during my test drive and barked the tires, I was pleasantly surprised. I have passed cars on two lane highways using the Sport or Normal mode and had plenty of power.
Old 08-23-13, 10:36 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I've also read some reviews where the MKZ and Fusion hybrids accelerate 0-60 in about 10 sec, almost the same as the Prius. So they may claim (operative word) to have better FE, but they're also much slower than the 300h or Avalon hybrids.
Old 08-23-13, 11:09 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I've also read some reviews where the MKZ and Fusion hybrids accelerate 0-60 in about 10 sec, almost the same as the Prius. So they may claim (operative word) to have better FE, but they're also much slower than the 300h or Avalon hybrids.
Here is an Autoweek article regarding the MKZ.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...iews/130509801
Old 08-23-13, 11:20 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

The MKZ is an interesting car. It is the first Lincoln I am actually attracted towards. I parked next to one and it is definitely a looker. In regards to the review, it went exactly how I imagined it would play out. It's pretty cool the ES300h is the benchmark. I think it deserves it looking at the whole picture.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES300h Loaner Review