Print Wikipost

Carfax Effect on Trade In Value

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 07:16 AM
howardj
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Carfax Effect on Trade In Value

First, thanks to the people that responded to my original post about the new navigation system in the ES350 with the mouse instead of the touch screen. You all responded that the new system was great and that with a little time and patience adjusting to it wouldn't be a problem.

Now, I'm in the Greater Boston area and as this will be my 3rd Lexus purchase I know which Dealers I do and do not want to deal with.

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S with 53,000 miles on it. The car has been meticulously cared for with servicing , tires rotated every 5K miles, etc. The car is a base model of the 2.5S meaning power windows but no optional equipment at all. The only thing that wasn't standard on this car were the floor mats and a trunk mat.Original tires and brakes are all in great condition and the car itself really is in great condition.

Now the problem. Back in 2010 someone ran into the car while it was stopped at a traffic light. The rear bumper was replaced along with whatever else under there needed to be replaced. It was done at the selling dealer's facility and I was quite happy with the repair.

However, the accident does show up on carfax. It doesn't give any details it just shows that the car was in an accident. It also shows the service history, etc. Based on KBB I believe that the car is worth $10K in real dollars. I definitely do no want to sell the car on my own and the Lexus dealer of choice is lowering the value significantly because of the carfax.

So I'm looking for experiences that you've had with a car that had a very good repair but the accident shows up on the carfax report. How much does that effect the real value of the car?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 07-17-13, 07:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

KBB shows a trade-in value of around $9100. How much less are they offering you? Keep in mind, your tires and brakes have 55k miles. They must show considerable wear.

Others have had good experiences taking their trades to CarMax and seeing what they'll offer.
Old 07-17-13, 07:32 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a leased 08 IS 350, black, a deer ran into the side while I was going 40---$3500 in damage but the repair was perfect. New parts, paint match, etc. I told the dealer as he first looked at the car, I don't know if it was listed on CarFax or not--he actually gave me more than Kelly and more than the lease buyout (was purchasing the replacement, not leasing). It probably depends on your area, your relationship with the dealer, and the way the car looks. Maybe take in the repair orders to show that you had relatively minimal damage, but you don't really have much leverage. Can you try CarMax?
Old 07-17-13, 08:15 AM
howardj
Driver

Thanks to both Mike and Jim. I've only seen a Carmax in the New haven, CT area driving thru on the way to NYC. I'll do a search to see if there's one closer to me. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-17-13, 08:18 AM
howardj
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
KBB shows a trade-in value of around $9100. How much less are they offering you? Keep in mind, your tires and brakes have 55k miles. They must show considerable wear.

Others have had good experiences taking their trades to CarMax and seeing what they'll offer.
Actually the rear brakes have 4MM and the front brakes have 6MM as of the first week of April. The tires do not at all look like they're close to needing to be replaced.

They're valuing the car at about 7K in cash value.
Old 07-17-13, 08:47 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reality... the car was wrecked.

That is what will stick in the mind of a new buyer. Unless of course they buy the car at a lower price.

Ask the dealer if it was a Lexus would he do the same.

John
Old 07-17-13, 09:19 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

John is right - all the Lexus dealer will see at the time of your trade is "the car was wrecked". And with that it mind they will seize the opportunity to low-ball you on the trade and there may not be much you can do about it. A friend recently was attempting to trade a year old Mercedes that too had been involbed in a $2,500 accident which at the Mercedes shop rate is extremely minor and had the repair order to show what work (rear bumper skin) was done. Most of the Lexus dealers just said they wouldn't take the car and others offered a low-ball value over the phone without even looking at it. He finally leased the Lexus and traded the MB on something else with the low trade value. And yes, I beleive they react pretty much the same when taking in a Lexus trade. A different story I'm sure when they sell the trade but with carfax reports being so important they just wholesale most such trade-ins off.

It is important to try to get a diminished value settlement in any accident any more if you can. Of course the insurance company will tell you that with such a minor accident there will be no diminished value at trade-in time - Wrong.

Dave Mac
Old 07-17-13, 09:28 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a 2003 Civic that was backed into while in a fast food drive thru - caused minor damage but was a $2000 repair job. Traded in a couple years later - was honest and told the dealer about the repair - they offered 6700 on trade - I said no and started to walk - they immediately upped the offer to 8700 before I reached the door. Dealers will always lowball your trade if they can get away with it. If you have time, get multiple appraisals including Nissan dealers and Carmax. Also, get the other Lexus dealers involved if they are acceptable to you - get some competition going.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Bill G
Old 07-17-13, 01:09 PM
howardj
Driver

These are all sensible sounding ideas. I found a carmax about 35 miles from where I live. What kind of dealings have you all had with them ? Is their offer a one shot take it or leave it or is there room to negotiate ?

I truly appreciate all the help that everyone is offering.
Old 07-17-13, 01:19 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

While the wreck will have some impact, the wreck could just be the excuse for a low ball offer on a car that a Lexus dealer would probably wholesale or send to auction. Definitely go to Carmax and see what they will give. Also call the used car department of the Nissan dealer that repaired the car and see if they will buy it. As we discussed on another thread, keep in mind the sales tax savings if you trade it to the dealer you are buying from.

My son has a Honda that has been hit twice in the rear to the tune of $2,800 and $4,300. The second repair was better than the first. When it comes time for a new vehicle, I have already decided that it will probably be better to sell it ourselves on Craigslist, and show potential buyers the paperwork from the repair. I don't expect to get much of a trade offer on a car involved in two accidents.
Old 07-17-13, 01:21 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by howardj
These are all sensible sounding ideas. I found a carmax about 35 miles from where I live. What kind of dealings have you all had with them ? Is their offer a one shot take it or leave it or is there room to negotiate ?

I truly appreciate all the help that everyone is offering.
The Carmax offer is take it or leave it. They will give you a written offer that is good for 7 or 8 days. You can take that offer and use it in negotiation, although the Lexus dealer may just tell you to take it to Carmax since they probably won't sell a Nissan themselves.
Old 07-17-13, 03:20 PM
howardj
Driver

The sales tax ( 6.25 percent in Ma) is certainly an issue. I will go to Carmax and let you all know what happens.
Old 07-17-13, 04:29 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO, the only way you will get fair market value, is if you are able to show, and explain the extent of the damage to the next owner.

how much is the hassle of selling your own car worth, is the real question.

-this assumes you can show some pictures and receipts for the work before and after repair.

you also might have better luck going to a nissan dealer. lexus will only wholesale it.
Old 07-17-13, 06:40 PM
howardj
Driver

Mr. Bill, receipts of course I have. Pictures I don't have. Since I really am not sure about how Carmax works I think I'll take a ride down to them and see what they have to say. I don't think that I want to go to Nissan dealers to try and sell the car. I'm not sure that I want to take that much time or go thru that hassle.

Next stop is Carmax.
Old 07-17-13, 07:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by howardj
Mr. Bill, receipts of course I have. Pictures I don't have. Since I really am not sure about how Carmax works I think I'll take a ride down to them and see what they have to say. I don't think that I want to go to Nissan dealers to try and sell the car. I'm not sure that I want to take that much time or go thru that hassle.

Next stop is Carmax.
Good luck at Car Max. I've used them several times to get appraisals on cars that I planned to trade in. They have a good system and you'll be in and out with the price they'll pay in had pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: Carfax Effect on Trade In Value