ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Question on the car alarm- factory or custom?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 07:53 AM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on the car alarm- factory or custom?

Hello,

I'm curious what people in this forum do about the car alarm. When I bought my current car (which is 10 years old) the factory default was actually more expensive than putting in a custom one with more options and all I was paying for was a chip to make the factory one active. I also figured that anyone wanting to break into an acura tl would more likely assume it had the factory default alarm and would therefore use the tricks specific to the tl system to try to hack it.

I don't know anything about the lexus security system and was curious what people thought.
Old 10-05-13, 11:05 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO that is what insurance is for. A car alarm won't stop a thief if they really want the car. All it will do is prevent them from further taking the car; after much damage has already been done to the doors, windows, ignition, etc. I've never had an aftermarket alarm in any of the cars I've used. Few friends who had rare tuner cars just put a kill switch on the ignition. Obviously not needed on these cars.
Old 10-05-13, 11:14 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't know where you are parking but I just go with the factory alarm when available. And up until smatkeys etc. I always had a kill switch. The few vehicles that I had someone other than myself install alarms in were really electrical disasters. Just keep your insurance current and hope for the best.

Dave Mac