ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Need some Help with 2013 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 08:57 AM
howardj
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need some Help with 2013 ES350

Hello All, this is my first post on the forum.

I currently own a 2010 ES 350 which I really, really love. I had a 2007 ES 350 before that and obviously enjoyed it enough to buy the 2010. I'm now looking into buying a 2013 but I'm looking for some help from owners of that model. I had a loaner of the 2013 and found the navigation system with the mouse to be very difficult to use. I'm so accustomed to using the touch screen on my 2010. Have any of you had trouble adjusting to the new navigation system?

It also looks like some of the things that were standard on the 2010 aren't on the 2013. Leather wrapped steering wheel, leather seating, etc. It also looks like the option to get a full size spare is gone. The fuel tank is smaller by 1.3 gallons and the trunk seems to be a bit bigger.

Anyway, any feedback from owners of the 2013 that previously had the 2010 especially about the navigation system would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Howard
Old 06-29-13, 10:26 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a 2010 ES350 and now a 2013 and find the mouse device easier to use after a short leaning curve.

Yes, the wood and leather wrapped steering wheel is optional but I believe it was also an option on my 2010. I did get the luxury package to get the leather seating and that was not much of a cost although I believe that is what required HID headlights and the rear sun screen. And you are right a full size spare is not an option and may not even fit in the tire well in the trunk.

They say the trunk is larger but my wife doesn't buy that and says it simply holds less groceries.

I think you will find the 2013 even more enjoyable then your 2010 - be sure you get the Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross traffic alert, both are great.

And do what you can to get the Michelin tires.

Dave Mac
Old 06-29-13, 10:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
And do what you can to get the Michelin tires.Dave Mac
That only applies if he gets the 17" wheels.

I didn't own a 2010 ES, but I will agree with Dave that the controller is easier to use than touch screens, once you get the hang of it. It allows the nav to sit up higher and out of the way of glare from the sun.
Old 06-29-13, 10:48 AM
howardj
Driver

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. We already told the dealer we want Michelins. We have HID headlights that swivel on our 2010 and we love them!!

We live in Boston and spend winters in FL so we load the trunk to capacity and the 2010 just holds everything it needs to. I may ask to see about loading the trunk to make sure that all our stuff will fit.

Really nervous about the mouse on the navigation but appreciate your encouragement about the short learning curve.

By the way, I read that Lexus says Regular Unleaded for the 2013 rather than Premium Unleaded. Are using the Regular?

Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-29-13, 10:49 AM
howardj
Driver

Mike,

I really only want the 17" wheels!!
Old 06-29-13, 11:44 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

We were also apprehensive about the mouse at first but learned that you can adjust the sensitivity in the settings. If you tone down the sensitivity it becomes much easier and enjoyable to use. Like you, we went for 17 inch wheels and michelins - the car rides and handles like a dream. Many like the 18's but we read enough accounts about the 17's being a smoother ride, we decided to go that route - the addition of the michelins produces a good combination. We are also happy with the NuLuxe seating - very comfortable and looks great!

Hope this helps,

Bill G
Old 06-29-13, 11:48 AM
howardj
Driver

Thank you Bill,

I appreciate the help!!
Old 06-29-13, 12:38 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Howard:

Be aware that the HID headlights on the 2013 do not swivel.

I think the deal with the trunk is even though it gets rated as larger it is not as deep as the prior model because of the additional 4 inches of rear seat leg room - which you passengers will really appreciate.

And yes, it is regular gas all the time now even though I most often used it on my earlier models as well.

Dave Mac
Old 06-29-13, 12:53 PM
kepper
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by howardj
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. We already told the dealer we want Michelins. We have HID headlights that swivel on our 2010 and we love them!!

We live in Boston and spend winters in FL so we load the trunk to capacity and the 2010 just holds everything it needs to. I may ask to see about loading the trunk to make sure that all our stuff will fit.

Really nervous about the mouse on the navigation but appreciate your encouragement about the short learning curve.

By the way, I read that Lexus says Regular Unleaded for the 2013 rather than Premium Unleaded. Are using the Regular?

Thanks again for the info.
I have had several Lexus over the last few years and I traded in a 2008 ES for a 2013 ES300h hybrid a few months ago. I think the differences between the 2008 ES and the 2010 were pretty minor. My 2008 was an ultra luxury model fully loaded including the auto leveling and corner shifting HID headlamps.

First off... I believe for me, the best feature of the new car is that it is a hybrid. I was going to buy the standard gas powered model but the dealer convinced me to try using a new hybrid ES service loaner they had for a weekend. I was surprised at the performance and for MY style of driving the hybrid is great- I have NO regrets about buying it. Not trying to sell you on a hybrid, just mentioning that I would not have even considered if the dealer hadn't given me one to take home for a night.

My feelings about the switch from the 2010 ES to a 2013 ES- the 2013 does not offer the auto leveling or cornering headlamps. I noticed this at first but honestly, the lack of them has not been a big deal and I never think about now. I like the interior styling of the 2013 better than my old ES- its better organized and more stylish in my opinion. Yes, you can use regular gasoline instead of premium. Also oil changes are now every 10,000 miles.

I think the 2013 handles a little better than the older ES but not hugely different. I like the dashboard layout and the placement of the nav system MUCH more in the 2013. The nav is now closer to eye level when driving and it’s easier to glance at when driving. I also find the nav much easier to use with the mouse controls- I never liked touch screens. The electronic package has been redesigned on the 2013 and you'll find some differences on the nav screen.

The trunk is shaped differently. It is supposed to be slightly larger, and I'm sure if measures out bigger, but not as deep. It is a little wider... when I was buying the car I pulled up my old ES next to the new ES and looked at the two trunks side by side. I believe that the new ES can carry as much luggage but my car had to be packed differently.

I think the new ES is slightly quieter than my old ES, but that's just my impression.

Someone mentioned blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic monitoring... I have those features and highly recommend them. Also the backup camera in the 2013 is improved over the one in the 2008.

So, I am glad I traded my 2008 for the 2013. There are a few things that I don't like, but they are not unique to the ES...

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Old 06-29-13, 01:14 PM
howardj
Driver

Dave and Kepper,

Thank you both very much for the input. I'm going to miss the HID headlights not swiveling. I thought that was a really great feature.

If by less deep we're talking about end of car to wall with pass thru that might be OK. I would have a problem if it was trunk floor to inside top of the trunk lid.

Everyone has said that they like the nav. better than the old touch screen so that is very reassuring!!

Thanks again to all who have responded and please keep the tips and info. coming!!
Old 06-29-13, 03:27 PM
kepper
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howard,

By less deep I am talking trunk floor to trunk lid top. Keep an open mind until you see it. I brought some empty suitcases with me when I did a side by side comparison and because the vertical depth of the trunk was less, I thought they wouldn't fit... but after doing some rearranging it turned out to be OK for me. It looked smaller because it was shallower, but because it was wider and longer, everything ended up being fine.
Old 06-29-13, 04:43 PM
howardj
Driver

I think you're right, the only way to be sure is to bring the suitcases and see if they can fit. How much shallower do you think it actually is?
Old 06-29-13, 05:24 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

For what it's worth, you can carry .5 cubic feet more sand in the 2013's trunk, than in your 2010. (15.2 vs. 14.7)

Old 06-29-13, 06:54 PM
howardj
Driver

If only sand was my cargo!!! Thanks Mike.
Old 06-29-13, 07:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by howardj
If only sand was my cargo!!! Thanks Mike.
Since you're familiar with Lexus, have you considered the RX350 for increased cargo capacity?

Quick Reply: Need some Help with 2013 ES350