new ES owner, don't like control ergonomics

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 09:27 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

[quote=bc6152;7977569]
Originally Posted by Mike728
You're "rethinking it" because you can't see the XM channel's name? XM sounds like garbage in the ES, so I rarely listen to it. Pandora sounds 10x better and is free.

Hmmm. I didn't know Pandora was free. I'll check it out because XM sucks...
If I use Pandora, must it be thru a smartphone in the car with the Lexus Enform app? And while using it does one use their phone minutes?
Old 06-08-13, 10:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
If I use Pandora, must it be thru a smartphone in the car with the Lexus Enform app? And while using it does one use their phone minutes?
Yes, you need a smartphone with the app installed for all Enform apps. It doesn't use your minutes, it uses data.
Old 06-08-13, 10:47 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yes, you need a smartphone with the app installed for all Enform apps. It doesn't use your minutes, it uses data.
If you have unlimited data plan, this is not a problem. If not, you better watch how much it uses each month.
Old 06-08-13, 10:58 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arty101
If you have unlimited data plan, this is not a problem. If not, you better watch how much it uses each month.
It's pretty minimal. There's an earlier thread where usage was calculated. I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
Old 06-08-13, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by chewbach
I don't disagree, although I have yet to see any manufacturer offer a system that totally nails it.
True, but I would rate Lexus at the bottom of luxury car lines when it comes to the features, content, and implementation of their infotainment system.

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Drive a Ford...Hyundai" I don't think so! I think I will stick with Lexus!!!!
For everything else sure, but Ford and Hyundai have infotainment systems that are LIGHT YEARS better than Lexus.
Old 06-08-13, 01:34 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Yeah, I have limited data allowance, Pandora is out... Thanks for the tips guys...
Old 06-08-13, 09:37 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
True, but I would rate Lexus at the bottom of luxury car lines when it comes to the features, content, and implementation of their infotainment system.

For everything else sure, but Ford and Hyundai have infotainment systems that are LIGHT YEARS better than Lexus.
I completely agree with this, more so having driven the ES for 3500 miles. In every aspect other than infotainment, I rate the ES as having superb ergonomics.
Old 06-10-13, 10:12 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Lexus fan if there ever was one. I personally remember when buying a Lexus ment having features that most Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, and Dodge owers would say "WOW" "That's Amazing" "I See why you buy a Lexus". Unfortunatly, I don't feel that way after our new purchase. I think the car drives great, but does it really drive better than say a top end Hyunda, Kia, Toyota, or Nissan?

I had truely high hopes for this car when my wife got it. We both like the fact that we have a Lexus back in the family, but I can tell you that they really need to step up and AT LEAST include options that mid level cars come equipped with.

I just got a 2013 Ford Fusion as my company car to replace my 2010 model. WOW, this car doesn't have a nav yet I can rewind music, show the channel on my preset, and even have more voice command options than my wifes 2013 ES350 with Nav!

These are crazy times. The name Lexus isn't worth as much as it was 5-8 years ago. The Technology must be there to justify the value.....unless you just buy a car for the name.
Old 06-10-13, 11:37 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I am a Lexus fan if there ever was one. I personally remember when buying a Lexus ment having features that most Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, and Dodge owers would say "WOW" "That's Amazing" "I See why you buy a Lexus". Unfortunatly, I don't feel that way after our new purchase. I think the car drives great, but does it really drive better than say a top end Hyunda, Kia, Toyota, or Nissan?

I had truely high hopes for this car when my wife got it. We both like the fact that we have a Lexus back in the family, but I can tell you that they really need to step up and AT LEAST include options that mid level cars come equipped with.

I just got a 2013 Ford Fusion as my company car to replace my 2010 model. WOW, this car doesn't have a nav yet I can rewind music, show the channel on my preset, and even have more voice command options than my wifes 2013 ES350 with Nav!

These are crazy times. The name Lexus isn't worth as much as it was 5-8 years ago. The Technology must be there to justify the value.....unless you just buy a car for the name.
Great observations, and I believe the competition has worked hard to close the gap between what it means to drive a Lexus vs mainstream sedans. Lexus will either have to improve the products or rely on buyers seeking name recognition - not a good business plan.

My prior vehicle was a 2010 Fusion Hybrid, and I was about to replace it with a '13 version, but the woefully inadequate EPA MPG was a fatal flaw. Ford indeed has a great infotainment system in the form of SYNC.
Old 06-10-13, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I am a Lexus fan if there ever was one. I personally remember when buying a Lexus ment having features that most Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, and Dodge owers would say "WOW" "That's Amazing" "I See why you buy a Lexus".
I don't really remember that. We got our first Lexus in 1998, and it was a fully loaded (all but nav) LS400, so it was the flagship obviously. I recall my Dad being disappointed that it lacked some of the little gizmo features that his previous Cadillac Seville had, such as headlamps that came on with wipers (which we still don't have), an oil life meter, and other functions of the driver info center. I had a 97 Explorer Limited at the time and it also had more tech gizmos than the LS. Remember that 98 was the first Lexus ever to even have a distance to empty (range) readout).

Lexus has never been on the forefront of automotive technology, quality and refinement yes...but I have never felt that a Lexus was that technologically advanced.
Old 06-10-13, 02:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I think it's fruitless to try and chase the latest technology in a car. Some other brand is always going to have newer technology and features. The tech just moves too fast for carmakers to stay current with the long leadtimes their models require.

I recently bought a 2013 Audi with their latest MMI technology (improved voice recogniton, wi-fi hotspot, Google Maps, Street View, internet POI search etc., etc. The owners on the Audi forums are already complaining about shortcomings and features offered in offered from other brands. It's ongoing no matter what you buy.
Old 06-12-13, 01:00 PM
Gtgrad95
Driver School Candidate

Another thing that annoys the heck out of me is if you are on the radio (sat., bluetooth audio, etc.) screen, and you decide to make a phone call. Once the phone call ends, it takes you to the navigation screen for some reason. I have to push the Radio or Media button to get back to the audio details screen. I find that really annoying. Wonder if this can be changed?
Old 06-12-13, 01:42 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gtgrad95
Another thing that annoys the heck out of me is if you are on the radio (sat., bluetooth audio, etc.) screen, and you decide to make a phone call. Once the phone call ends, it takes you to the navigation screen for some reason. I have to push the Radio or Media button to get back to the audio details screen. I find that really annoying. Wonder if this can be changed?
Yes, there's a setting for that. Can't think of it off the top of my head, though.