ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Air ventilated Seats

Old 09-16-13, 12:00 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From these "ventilated" seat threads I get the impression that people feel the seats should act just like the dash vents which isn't really possible. When you are sitting in the seat you are restricting air flow just like you would if you completely blocked the dash vents. How much pressure would be required to force air between you and the seat? It would be different for different drivers. It is my understanding that the seats are "cooled" which definitely helps in the hot climate in the south. With the setting set to max the seats in my car are definitely cooler than if they are not on. If I lean ever so slightly forward, I can feel the air coming from the seat. If I am wearing my suit coat jacket between my shirt and the seat I can feel it all the time. I just don't think it is meant to substitute for a main HVAC vent.
Old 09-16-13, 04:22 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atoyota,

A very rational post!

I live in TX and never have to worry about my back being being damp from the heat. The ES cooled seats perform as advertised.

Lean forward with the setting on high and you'll hear the seats at work.

Those that do the most *****ing obviously didn't spend much time exploring the car before they bought it.

John
Old 09-16-13, 04:58 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
atoyota,

A very rational post!

I live in TX and never have to worry about my back being being damp from the heat. The ES cooled seats perform as advertised.

Lean forward with the setting on high and you'll hear the seats at work.

Those that do the most *****ing obviously didn't spend much time exploring the car before they bought it.

John
Wow!!! Let's be a d*** to the new person with a question and concern. I guess I'm on the wrong site with these types of reply. Let me clarify the back of the seat ventilation system works great; the bottom of the seat has no ventilation that is what I am talking about. I fully understand it is not cooled seat just ventilated, no ventilation on the bottom of the seat. Yes, I did test drive the car and heard the motor and felt the ventilation on my 10 min test drive only to realize now it was on the back of the seat not the bottom. If your happy with your ventilated seats that is great oblivious not everyone is. I thought this sites intent was for us to write about concern and see if their is a resolution or try to get one. """ perfect example is the ML system concern it took six month to fix but with most people sticking together and calling Lexus head office and contact the lemon law office it got resolved.
Old 09-16-13, 05:06 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

How ventilated seats work, just wanted to clarify I know how ventilated seats work.

* Ventilated Seats or seat ventilation is a feature that is built into the seats and it directs air through the seat unto the occupant for increased comfort especially on long journeys.
* Ventilated seats function via several small fans in the seat cushion and backrest. The fans draw air from inside the cabin and into the seat. The air is then goes through plastic ducts, an air permeable fabric and distributes it evenly throughout the seat via perforations in the leather.
* There are vehicles that offer several fan speeds in their seat ventilation (usually two or three). When switched on they begin on the highest speed and may automatically reduce the fan speed after a pre-determined time set by the manufacturer.
* The fans start on the highest speed because it is presumed that is when ventilation will be needed the most, at the beginning. You can always select your preferred fan speed at any time.
Old 09-16-13, 05:41 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"the bottom of the seat has no ventilation"

You are incorrect.
Old 09-16-13, 05:59 PM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idlefree, I'm with you in feeling the bottom seat ventilation isn't very effective when I'm sitting in it- at least relative to competition. I test drove the Kia cadenza, dodge ram limited and Lincoln mkz and when sitting on those it felt like my bottom was cooled. It felt great. They were forceful and cool. I didn't pay too much attention to the Lexus' ventilated seats because I thought they would be the same. I just made sure that box was checked. But now that I have it, I feel they are clearly the worst ventilated seats on the market. The only value I see in them would be to cool the seat in a remote-start scenario before I enter the car, but I don't have remote start.
Old 09-17-13, 09:38 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

My experience is that they do what they are supposed to do. I live in South Florida where daily temperatures are in the low to mid 90s daily during the summer and the ventilation has always worked effectively in spite of minimal air flow.
Old 09-17-13, 09:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
My experience is that they do what they are supposed to do. I live in South Florida where daily temperatures are in the low to mid 90s daily during the summer and the ventilation has always worked effectively in spite of minimal air flow.
I had them on two ES350's and was satisfied with the performance. While they couldn't be called cold or even cool, the ventilation does its job and IMO is more comfortable than not having them.
Old 09-17-13, 12:23 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

Obviously there are numerous opinions as to the effectiveness of the Lexus cooled seats. Some are satisfied, some are not; some like the seats, some hate them. This being said, I believe that Lexus should engineer a change so that the cooling effect is very apparent on the top and bottom. According to some members of this forum, there are various manufacturers that got it right the first time.
Old 09-17-13, 12:48 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

I have been following this discussion since the start. The dissatisfaction/complaint has been with the airflow, not the performance. There is definitely enough air flow to get the job done.

Last edited by ElliotB; 09-17-13 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 03:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The ventilated seats in the ES have been operating about the same for 7 model years now. There are threads on the subject on the '07-'12 forum. Maybe Lexus will update/improve the system one of these model years, but after this long it seems unlikely.
Old 09-17-13, 05:45 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The ventilated seats in the ES have been operating about the same for 7 model years now. There are threads on the subject on the '07-'12 forum. Maybe Lexus will update/improve the system one of these model years, but after this long it seems unlikely.
I'm amazed this has been going on for 7 model years, and it hasn't been fixed.has anyone here ever complaint to Lexus corporation? I have contacted Lexus and they have indicated no one has ever complaint to them.
Old 09-18-13, 07:24 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Idlefree
I'm amazed this has been going on for 7 model years, and it hasn't been fixed.has anyone here ever complaint to Lexus corporation? I have contacted Lexus and they have indicated no one has ever complaint to them.

That's because it is working as designed. It isn't an equipment failure. The ML audio issue isn't even the same. In that case there were some cars that had faulty amps. Lexus replaced the amp. It's one thing to suggest Lexus should improve a feature, but another to get up in arms and seek protections under lemon laws and such when you didn't test it to see if it met your needs before buying the car. You may find it inadequate, but you didn't test it before you bought it, or at least test it adequately. They aren't going to retrofit any seats or replace anything because nothing is broken. It's that simple. It's odd that people tested all the other cars mentioned but didn't test the ES before buying it. If people want to buy Kias or Buicks or Dodges or whatever other cars they tested after testing the ES and deciding to go with another non luxury brand because of ventilated seats, maybe Lexus will redesign when their sales drop off. If you want to spend another 10 - 25K on a GS or LS, you have that option too.

Last edited by atoyota; 09-18-13 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-18-13, 11:57 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by atoyota
That's because it is working as designed. It isn't an equipment failure. The ML audio issue isn't even the same. In that case there were some cars that had faulty amps. Lexus replaced the amp. It's one thing to suggest Lexus should improve a feature, but another to get up in arms and seek protections under lemon laws and such when you didn't test it to see if it met your needs before buying the car. You may find it inadequate, but you didn't test it before you bought it, or at least test it adequately. They aren't going to retrofit any seats or replace anything because nothing is broken. It's that simple. It's odd that people tested all the other cars mentioned but didn't test the ES before buying it. If people want to buy Kias or Buicks or Dodges or whatever other cars they tested after testing the ES and deciding to go with another non luxury brand because of ventilated seats, maybe Lexus will redesign when their sales drop off. If you want to spend another 10 - 25K on a GS or LS, you have that option too.
Well said.
Old 09-19-13, 03:47 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by atoyota
Atoyota,

Well said, but you should get the facts defore you get writing so much. I did take Lexus to lemon law for the ML system and won. During the meeting with Lexus it was said this has been an issue for years and look it is resolved. Durning that meeting it was indicated it was the type of music that caused the issue " music with base" so before you get on your high horse" all the 2013 ES have the same amp and Lexus will replace only the ones customer complain, as not everyone listen to music with lots of base.
We are human and like to compare things this is why so many choices are available to us. Now you common on testing the seats while test driving, like that in the first thing on my mine, nope..... First is how well it runs, how quick, comfort, oh crap the test drive is over......

Maybe you shouldn't be putting people down because something wasn't look at the time or thing went very quickly, or excited of getting a new VEHICLE. I am sure you have purchased something and thought CRAP......

I am glad your fully satisfied.....but others may not so give them a chance to talk about it before you decide to go down their throats.

Last time I check this is a free country and if we choose to compare to other car manufactors our choice, if you do not like it skip to another thread or don't read it .

To your state if I wanted to spend another 10 to 25 k buy the gs or LS, see choices..... but I choose the ES 300h and now I have an issue and trying to resolve it. What a concept atoyota you have a problem or concern and you try to fix it you should try it some time. LOL

Last edited by Idlefree; 09-19-13 at 03:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air ventilated Seats