ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Question about Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 05:27 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hum, nothing on Lexus's web site saying the hybrid system is more than 8 yrs/100,000 miles. I trust what's on my warranty manual, window sticker, and Lexus official web site.

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/ownership/warranty/
Old 04-11-13, 06:20 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Hum, nothing on Lexus's web site saying the hybrid system is more than 8 yrs/100,000 miles. I trust what's on my warranty manual, window sticker, and Lexus official web site.
^^^ Yes

The link to the manual I provided in my last post, was a reference to California's "CARB" warranty. It is limited to 8 years or 100k miles as Arty states. You cannot find an official CARB statement online that contradicts this. I challange you!
Old 04-11-13, 06:35 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

California Code of Regulations (CCR) Emissions Warranty Coverage Periods for New Vehicles, Engines, and Equipment Sold in California
Last updated on September 29, 2009
This information outlines the general warranty requirements for products sold in California. Refer to your vehicle, engine, or equipment’s owners manual the specific warranty coverage. For additional assistance about your
California Emissions Warranty Coverage contact the California Air Resources Board at 1-800-242-4450.
• Warranty Requirements for 1990 and Subsequent Model Passenger Cars, Light-Duty Trucks, Medium-Duty Vehicles, and Motor Vehicle Engines Used in Such Vehicles.
o Examples: Passenger cars, light-duty trucks, or medium-duty vehicles that have a GVWR between 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
CCR §2037 Defects Warranty
covers emission-related parts 3 years / 50K miles covers high-cost emission-related parts 7 years / 70K miles*
*Federal Emissions Warranty - EPA420-F-96-020 - Covers these three specified major emissions control components for the first 8 years, or 80K miles on 1995 and newer vehicles:
Catalytic converters;
The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU);
The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).
o PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicles) Certified Vehicles – for information visit - http://www.driveclean.ca.gov.
CCR §1962 Defects Warranty
covers emission-related parts 15 years / 150K miles energy storage device (battery) 10 years

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

I would say the ES300 is a PZEV.

John

Last edited by txes; 04-11-13 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 06:37 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
California Code of Regulations (CCR) Emissions Warranty Coverage Periods for New Vehicles, Engines, and Equipment Sold in California
Refer to your vehicle, engine, or equipment’s owners manual for specific warranty coverage.

'Nuff said..
Old 04-11-13, 06:48 PM
txes
Lead Lap

A Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) is an administrative category within the state of California for low emission vehicles.

This vehicle category was created as part of a bargain with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), so that the automobile manufacturers could postpone producing mandated zero emission vehicles (ZEVs), which will require the production of electric vehicles or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

The vehicles constructed to meet the PZEV requirements are called Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (SULEVs). Various techniques are used to reduce pollution in these vehicles. In order to qualify as a PZEV, a vehicle must meet the SULEV standard and, in addition, have zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system plus an extended (15-year/150,000-mile) warranty on its emission-control components, which incidentally covers the propulsion electrical components of a hybrid electric vehicle.

Some vehicles can be classified as AT-PZEV, standing for Advanced Technology PZEV. This type of vehicle is just as clean as a PZEV vehicle, but gets much better fuel efficiency due to the use of hybrid electric vehicle systems. This technology can also be used in a Sport Utility Vehicle to improve their traditionally lower fuel economy; however they may still lag behind the efficiency of smaller vehicles.

With the exception of some hybrids and alternative-fuel vehicles, PZEVs do not come with any incentives other than the extended emissions warranty for buyers from either federal or state government. In particular, PZEV vehicles do not automatically qualify for the hybrid vehicle tax credit or for the "clean air vehicle" decal that allows hybrid car drivers to use car-pool lanes.[1]

You can only buy car models that meet PZEV standards if you live in California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, or Vermont — or in some sales regions near these states. These five "clean car states" have implemented California's more stringent motor vehicle pollution control rules. Other states will soon begin implementing these standards, including Connecticut, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Washington. The reasoning is surmised that while modifications only cost $200 for the consumer, it costs as much as $1,500 for the automaker. If the car companies passed on the entire expense, it could hinder sales and slow the automaker's compliance with ultra-low-emission laws
Old 04-12-13, 05:52 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

This information outlines the general warranty requirements for products sold in California. Refer to your vehicle, engine, or equipment’s owners manual the specific warranty coverage. For additional assistance about your
California Emissions Warranty Coverage contact the California Air Resources Board at 1-800-242-4450.
• Warranty Requirements for 1990 and Subsequent Model Passenger Cars, Light-Duty Trucks, Medium-Duty Vehicles, and Motor Vehicle Engines Used in Such Vehicles.
o Examples: Passenger cars, light-duty trucks, or medium-duty vehicles that have a GVWR between 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
CCR §2037 Defects Warranty
covers emission-related parts 3 years / 50K miles covers high-cost emission-related parts 7 years / 70K miles*
*Federal Emissions Warranty - EPA420-F-96-020 - Covers these three specified major emissions control components for the first 8 years, or 80K miles on 1995 and newer vehicles:
Catalytic converters;
The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU);
The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).
o PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicles) Certified Vehicles – for information visit - http://www.driveclean.ca.gov.
CCR §1962 Defects Warranty
covers emission-related parts 15 years / 150K miles energy storage device (battery) 10 years

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

I would say the ES300 is a PZEV.

John
From: http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/searchr...+300h&x=16&y=7

Click on the Lexus ES300h name in the Model column and the information below pops up. Looks like they classify the car as LEV 2 SULEV and not a PZEV.

2013 Lexus ES 300h
Displacement: 2.5L
Engine: 4-Cylinder
Transmission: CVT
Fuel/Technology: Hybrid Electric
Annual Fuel Costs: N/A

Emission RatingsGlobal Warming Score: N/A Learn More >
Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions: N/A
Smog Score: $ Learn More >
Annual Smog Emissions: 450 g
Emissions Certification Standard: LEV 2 SULEV
Old 04-12-13, 06:12 AM
txes
Lead Lap

The vehicles constructed to meet the PZEV requirements are called Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (SULEVs). Various techniques are used to reduce pollution in these vehicles. In order to qualify as a PZEV, a vehicle must meet the SULEV standard and, in addition, have zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system plus an extended (15-year/150,000-mile) warranty on its emission-control components, which incidentally covers the propulsion electrical components of a hybrid electric vehicle.

As stated, to qualify, it must meet the SULEV standard and have a 15-year/150,000 mile extended warranty.

If Lexus doesnt offer this, does that mean it's not a true SULEV vehicle?

Hmmmm.

John
Old 04-12-13, 10:13 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As stated, to qualify, it must meet the SULEV standard and have a 15-year/150,000 mile extended warranty.

If Lexus doesnt offer this, does that mean it's not a true SULEV vehicle?

Hmmmm.

John
Level 2 SULEV may not be the same and does not qualify for the 15 year/150,000 mile warranty, or is it the 10 year warranty you stated earlier?

Again I would think your warranty manual and window sticker would state the latest info in that particular vehicle.
Old 07-07-15, 01:21 AM
dshenmdyn
Driver School Candidate

Default Should I worry about replacement cost of the hybrid battery

Found this thread while I am doing research on factory warranty on hybrid system battery in preparation for purchasing a new ES300h. I am in CA. I typically keep the car as long as possible (>10 years) so I am interested in knowing if there is anything I should worry about the hybrid battery.

I read online that in states that follow the California emission standard, the hybrid battery is treated as part of the emission system and Toyota provide warranty for Prius/Camry Hybrid with 10 year 150k miles warranty (instead of the regular 8 year, 100k miles warranty provided in other states).

I am able to confirm that is true as stated in this

See this for 2015 Camry Hybrid warranty (on page 25)
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...rid_WMG_lr.pdf

To my big surprise, Lexus warranty for Hybrid system actually seems inferior to those provided for Toyota cars. The longest it provides is the 8 year 100k mile under the Federal emission coverage. CA emission coverage does NOT provide any additional benefit (at least not in year/mileage).

See this for 2015 ES300h. (on page 29)
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...S-15ES300H.pdf

Can this be true? What do your dealer tell you about this?
If the manufacturer is required to provide certain warranty coverage under the CA emission regulation, shouldn't that requirement apply to all vehicles? How could it apply to Toyota vehicles, but not to Lexus ones?

The ES300h isn't unique among the Lexus vehicles. CT200h and NX300h also have similar language about coverage.

CT200h, http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...S-15CT200H.pdf
NX300h, http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...S-15NX300H.pdf

After looking over the websites provided by jollick,, looks like the ES300h (along with Avalon Hybrid) are only certified as LEV-II SULEV, not as PZEV. Camry Hybrid, Prius and some others are qualified as PZEV.

So LEV-II SULEV is one level below PZEV: to be certified for PZEV, manufactures has to provide 15y, 150k miles warranty on emission system. (Such is NOT required to be certified for LEV-II SULEV.)

Per the website,
PZEV – Partial Zero Emission Vehicle is a vehicle emissions rating within California’s exhaust emission standards. Cars that are certified as PZEVs meets the Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle exhaust emission stardard, has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system and includes a 15 year / 150,000 mile warranty on the emissions system. PZEVs run on gasoline, yet offer extrememly clean emissions and an extended warranty and zero evaporative emissions. PZEVs have a Smog Rating of 9.