ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models
View Poll Results: What feature isn't there could they add without significantly changing the price
Update the GPS voice recognition functionality
41.18%
Let GPS accept new destination while in motion
43.53%
Update the infotainment side of the GPS
18.82%
Offer options for favorite screens on GPS / frequently accessed
17.65%
Have radio gather station/song info
21.18%
Improve the premium sound system w/ subwoofer
24.71%
Make car owner's manual available through GPS with search
14.12%
Option for touchscreen input on GPS
16.47%
Fix squeeks and rattles
17.65%
Seat cooling that is actually cooling
36.47%
Heated & cooled rear seats
20.00%
Offer a digitial clock or a flip clock between analog and digital.
14.12%
More wood trim
27.06%
All leather steering wheel
15.29%
Padded doors
25.88%
Compass mirror option
18.82%
Remote start option
21.18%
Trunk close from fob
20.00%
Full AC and Window control remotely.
9.41%
Sunglass holder
45.88%
Cooled cupholder
11.76%
LED Turn signals
24.71%
Power folding side mirrors
43.53%
Side view mirror camera for blind spot assist
20.00%
Better fog light options
15.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

What new feature would you like most in in the 2014 lexus ES350/300 - Corrected

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 10:43 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know where the photo sensor is located on the car? I think I'm going to trick it.

this is the control panel I have trouble reading (without glasses). Once its lit, I can read it without glasses.

(the black strip below the radio) -sorry for camera pic.
Attached Thumbnails What new feature would you like most in in the 2014 lexus ES350/300  - Corrected-imag0322-1.jpg  

Last edited by mrBillFL; 04-09-13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 11:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Yeah, I think I need glasses to read yours.

If you just turn on your headlights, does that turn them on?
Old 04-09-13, 11:25 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just turn your headlights on.

I really don't think that will help if it is bright out though.
Old 04-09-13, 04:13 PM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

mrBillFL....I think on the passenger side of your dashboard , it looks like a black marble. I believe this is your headlight sensor, try covering it to see if your headlights are fooled.......maybe this will help?
Old 04-09-13, 05:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, you'll need to cover it for a bit since they're timed for tunnels and short dark distances so your headlights don't come on unnecessarily.
Old 04-09-13, 08:40 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing along with putting a searchable version of the printed manual on the GPS, they could also include training videos like they have on their website on how to set up BT, use voice commands, even how to change the tire. They could even put in a FAQ section such as what types of fuels will my car accept, what size are the wipers, what is the proper pressure for the stock tires etc.

Last edited by boe; 04-09-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 03:32 PM
boe
Driver

Interesting results so far. I really only 24 people took the survey so far but I thought GPS destination in motion would have gotten 100% positive.
Old 04-10-13, 04:35 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
I thought GPS destination in motion would have gotten 100% positive.
I'm pretty sure navigation is an option. Maybe they don't care, since they don't have it.
Old 04-11-13, 10:31 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

fwiw, when I turn on the lights, the control bar does not light up. (yeah, surprised me).

I did cover the black half marble, but I guess I need to leave it on longer.

One new 'discovery' - I started the car, only unlocking the drivers door. key in my pocket, got out, and went to the passenger side door (front), and the door would not unlock. I pull out the key fob, press unlock, and it still does not unlock. (???)

I needed to go back to the drivers side door to unlock the doors. the key fob would not work when the car was running. - anyone else ? ( fwiw, I needed to clean up some trash on the passenger floor).

Another 'feature' is door open alarm / window alarm.

Seems like if I start the car with the door open, it beeps. if I open the door before shutting off the car it beeps when I shut it off.

Same for the windows, they only beep when you shut the car off and leave the windows down/cracked, but I can't raise the windows with the car off, so I have to power up, rollup windows, and power off...

These are some things I wonder about 'what they were thinking of'...
Old 04-11-13, 10:38 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

One new 'discovery' - I started the car, only unlocking the drivers door. key in my pocket, got out, and went to the passenger side door (front), and the door would not unlock. I pull out the key fob, press unlock, and it still does not unlock. (???) I have mine set up so all doors unlock when unlocking the driver's door. It's in the settings.

I needed to go back to the drivers side door to unlock the doors. the key fob would not work when the car was running. - anyone else ? ( fwiw, I needed to clean up some trash on the passenger floor).

Seems like if I start the car with the door open, it beeps. if I open the door before shutting off the car it beeps when I shut it off. My Maxima was the same way so it doesn't bother me.

Same for the windows, they only beep when you shut the car off and leave the windows down/cracked, but I can't raise the windows with the car off, so I have to power up, rollup windows, and power off...

Old 04-11-13, 10:58 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
fwiw, when I turn on the lights, the control bar does not light up. (yeah, surprised me).

One new 'discovery' - I started the car, only unlocking the drivers door. key in my pocket, got out, and went to the passenger side door (front), and the door would not unlock. I pull out the key fob, press unlock, and it still does not unlock. (???)

Seems like if I start the car with the door open, it beeps. if I open the door before shutting off the car it beeps when I shut it off.

I've got to try to unlock the passenger door with the engine running and will let you know, but that doesn't sound right. Just touching any passenger doors unlocks all doors, as default, but that's when the engine is off.

The door and window alarm is exactly that. Surprised me at first, since I leave my windows cracked open for some air, but that makes sense.

I may be confusing this with my GS and RX, but I think there's a timer delay for the powered windows to operate after you've shut off the engine for maybe 15 seconds? But if you open the door, the power to the windows will turn off.
Old 04-11-13, 03:07 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

I really wouldn't mind the doors NOT unlocking when I touched the door... (safety) -it works fine if the car is not running.

But, when I actually clicked the unlock button, on the key fob, (2x) and that didn't work, I was annoyed.

-and I don't want to unlock all the doors, when its just me. -I live in SoFla!! (for crime reasons, I only want doors to unlock when I press the button, or touch the handle).

Also I'm not sure if the car can tell if the key fob is on my body, or still in the car. Last thing I want is some stranger to be able to open a locked door while I'm sitting in the running car.

and the widows. <sigh> I just rolled them down a bit, since I'll be going out again in an hour and want the car cooler... (yeah 85degrees right now)

turn car off, windows down. no alarm. open door, alarm.

-so if I don't want to leave them down, restart car to raise them up.
hmmmOk. I guess that's what the Japaneses engineers think is a good idea.

I would think the best time to tell me the windows are down are as soon as I shut it off. not when I open door...

I get the same alarm if I open the door before I shut it off.

Car in Park, Open door, Power off, Alarm goes off, the door is open.... well yeah, the car is off, and I'm getting out. 8)

takes a while to understand how the engineers think..

Last edited by mrBillFL; 04-11-13 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 06:29 AM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
I really wouldn't mind the doors NOT unlocking when I touched the door... (safety) -it works fine if the car is not running.

But, when I actually clicked the unlock button, on the key fob, (2x) and that didn't work, I was annoyed.

-and I don't want to unlock all the doors, when its just me. -I live in SoFla!! (for crime reasons, I only want doors to unlock when I press the button, or touch the handle).

Also I'm not sure if the car can tell if the key fob is on my body, or still in the car. Last thing I want is some stranger to be able to open a locked door while I'm sitting in the running car.

and the widows. <sigh> I just rolled them down a bit, since I'll be going out again in an hour and want the car cooler... (yeah 85degrees right now)

turn car off, windows down. no alarm. open door, alarm.

-so if I don't want to leave them down, restart car to raise them up.
hmmmOk. I guess that's what the Japaneses engineers think is a good idea.

I would think the best time to tell me the windows are down are as soon as I shut it off. not when I open door...

I get the same alarm if I open the door before I shut it off.

Car in Park, Open door, Power off, Alarm goes off, the door is open.... well yeah, the car is off, and I'm getting out. 8)

takes a while to understand how the engineers think..
I put an alternate security system in my Acura than the optional one from Acura since they were the same price for another brand or paying $500 for the chip to enable the security system. It gave me greater flexibility for features with the fob. Not sure how Lexus is as I haven't bought one yet. I also figured if someone knows the hack for the default alarm on an Acura they might find it harder to figure out how to disable mine since it didn't have the default and they might approach it as having the default security system.
Old 04-18-13, 07:27 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Bill why do you use the buttons? Don't you have the proximity key fob that locks and unlocks your doors and truck? If you want to unlock all doors occasionally, just touch the rear passenger door handle and all doors unlock. You don't have to change the customized door option and keep the default to open only the drivers door. I am a bit paranoid about safety, especially in SF. I guess we all safety issues no matter where we live.
Old 05-03-13, 12:36 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by boe
Interesting results so far. I really only 24 people took the survey so far but I thought GPS destination in motion would have gotten 100% positive.
I don't really care about Lexus's navigation.

I would like to seem them integrate Google's navigation into their cars like Audi has done. I think Hyundai or Honda is going to start doing that too.

You don't ever have to worry about buying new map discs every year for $150+ a pop. It updates through your phone's internet.

I would also like to see them integrate Google's voice recognition into the car. It works pretty good, at least better than my wife's Siri.

Remote control of A/C, heaters and windows thru my phone would be nice too.

Hell, why not do remote start thru the phone as well. I think the reason why remote start has a short range is so you can't accidentally start your car from far away. If it was on your phone, you could require a lock code, like drawing a line pattern or something you set.

I would also love to be able to remotely monitor the rear backup camera thru my phone. While we're at it, let's add a few more cameras so that I can remotely monitor the entire perimeter of my car thru my phone. And if anyone pushes their shopping cart near my car, I can press another button on my phone and the car will transform into a robot and CRUSH that shopping cart with its foot.! :P

And last but not least, +1 more vote to the sunglass holder!

Last edited by Neoxagon; 05-03-13 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: What new feature would you like most in in the 2014 lexus ES350/300 - Corrected