Heated Wood Steering Wheel Woodgrain Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 03:20 AM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Wood Steering Wheel Woodgrain Trim

Just wonder if anyone has a Heated Wood Steering Wheel
Woodgrain Trim as indicated on Lexus web site as an option, because my steering wheel is only heated on the leather sides at the 9 and 3 o'clock of the Steering wheel. I am not sure about anyone else but I do not drive with my hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock. heated steering wheel really...Lexus.... 1/4 of the steering wheel is heated talk about false advertising:

My X-5 advertise heated steering wheel and man that is what I got and this was 6years ago
Old 03-27-13, 05:35 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Relax
Woodgrain Trim as indicated on Lexus web site as an option, because my steering wheel is only heated on the leather sides at the 9 and 3 o'clock of the Steering wheel. I am not sure about anyone else but I do not drive with my hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock. heated steering wheel really...Lexus.... 1/4 of the steering wheel is heated talk about false advertising:

My X-5 advertise heated steering wheel and man that is what I got and this was 6years ago
I also have the heated wheel. I was disappointed to find that only the 3 and 9 positions on the wheel are heated. No one that I know holds their hands in those positions. I don't know what the designers were thinking. Poor design by Lexus...
Old 03-27-13, 05:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

I have this, too. The salesman actually informed me that it only heated the two positions during the test drive. I really have no problem with this, since none of my prior dozen vehicles even offered it. And, it does work as advertised. I actually hold the wheel at about the 8:30 and 3:30 positions, so it's not that far off for me. I can make the slight adjustment until it warms up enough in the car.
Old 03-27-13, 05:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've read of this complaint many times.
No big deal for me as I just use the heated positions till my hands and the interior warms up.
Old 03-27-13, 05:54 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as Mike728. I did a lot of research on the car beforehand and was well aware of the limitations of the heated steering wheel. Since I never had this option before, it didn't bother me whatsoever.
Old 03-27-13, 06:36 AM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

Come on...really would you not prefer the whole steering wheel... Trust me it is the best and you do not have your hands at a certain location of the steering wheel to heat up your hands. LOL just thought it would be nice the whole steering wheel as indicated in the Lexus brochure it gets cold in the white north of Canada.... LOL
Old 03-27-13, 06:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Come on...really would you not prefer the whole steering wheel... Trust me it is the best and you do not have your hands at a certain location of the steering wheel to heat up your hands. LOL just thought it would be nice the whole steering wheel as indicated in the Lexus brochure it gets cold in the white north of Canada.... LOL

The whole wheel would be nice but a few minutes of driving with my hands on the wheel a 9 and 3 o'clock isn't a big deal for me.
Maybe because this is the first vehicle I've owned with a heated wheel.
Old 03-27-13, 06:45 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah, my X5 is the same way, I think it gets to hot, but Lexus thought that people would only need the heat on the sides. My GS is like that and I thought it was a cool feature to have but now I never use it unless I want to warm my hands-up.
Old 03-27-13, 07:28 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A fully heated steering wheel will always be leather only, no wood. The wiring that heats up the wheel runs under the leather and conducts the heat. There's no way to do that (economically) under the wood area. This is common sense. If you want a fully heated wheel, you'll have to get a leather one.
Old 03-27-13, 08:36 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
A fully heated steering wheel will always be leather only, no wood.
I'm pretty sure there's heated wood steering wheels out there. I think the Lacrosse I test drove had it fully heated.
Old 03-27-13, 09:46 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm pretty sure there's heated wood steering wheels out there. I think the Lacrosse I test drove had it fully heated.
There is. I remember reading an auto review of the ES and the journalist complaining about other cars had the whole wheel heat up including the wood.
Old 03-27-13, 11:42 AM
txes
Lead Lap

I've got a 2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS.

The steering wheel is not 100% heated either. More heated area than the ES, but not completeley heated.

John
Old 03-27-13, 02:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the feel and look of the wood steering wheel, even if it wasn't heated.
Old 03-27-13, 02:31 PM
lemon397
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
I also have the heated wheel. I was disappointed to find that only the 3 and 9 positions on the wheel are heated. No one that I know holds their hands in those positions. I don't know what the designers were thinking. Poor design by Lexus...

i disagree. they are required to pose driving laws and 3 and 9 positions are the ones that are recommended. They will be encouraging bad driving habits if they place it at position 6. try to take a driving test and place your hand on position 6, you'll know for yourself. I think the designers and engineers have done an excellent job.
Old 03-27-13, 02:41 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arty101
I like the feel and look of the wood steering wheel, even if it wasn't heated.
The look and feel of the wood/leather steering wheel is superb. It's received a lot of praise for it's substantial heft and feel. Compared to the the previous generation ESs, (esp the 330) the leather is much softer and the wood segments are thicker

Quick Reply: Heated Wood Steering Wheel Woodgrain Trim