ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Radio - I'm jealous!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 11:21 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio - I'm jealous!

My neighbor just got a 2013 Fusion - I don't know how less expensive it was from my car but side by side the cars don't belong in the same class - in fact, it looks as though it should be two classes below my 300h - BUT his nav system/radio - I'm jealous! He calls out a station name or station number (like Sirius 20 or saying E Street Radio) - and zap the radio tunes to that station. Why couldn't Lexus have done that?
Old 03-18-13, 11:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doesn't Buick have a similar ad with Ely calling out a radio station? I thought was pretty cool too.
Old 03-19-13, 12:00 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it's because Ford licenses Microsoft's voice recognition which has been used on the xbox for years now and is very good. very few car markers actually license proper voice recognition.
Old 03-19-13, 12:20 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Well, in the ad it looked pretty good. Microsoft + Ford cannot be a good combo. I heard Ford was having major problems with their Sync app, and it was pulling down their customer satisfaction rating. Maybe they've improved, but then again, it's a MS product.
Old 03-19-13, 04:23 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Can't you do the same ting though!, I know I can do it on my GS and the GS before that.
Old 03-19-13, 05:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Yeah, can't we do that in the ES? My 5 year old Hyundai could, but it never really seemed like something I needed. I used it like once when it was new, just for fun.
Old 03-19-13, 05:54 AM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Can't you do the same ting though!, I know I can do it on my GS and the GS before that.
Lexus voice recognition is very limited. You cannot use voice commands to tune to a radio station. You cannot use a voice command to cancel (delete) current navigation, must use the mouse.
Old 03-19-13, 06:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Well, in the ad it looked pretty good. Microsoft + Ford cannot be a good combo. I heard Ford was having major problems with their Sync app, and it was pulling down their customer satisfaction rating. Maybe they've improved, but then again, it's a MS product.
Yes, the Ford/Lincoln My Touch systems have been problematic for Ford both in terms of their satisfaction ratings as well as glitches that needed reprogramming etc. In time I'm sure it will be better.
Old 03-19-13, 06:54 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by JerryKK
My neighbor just got a 2013 Fusion - I don't know how less expensive it was from my car but side by side the cars don't belong in the same class - in fact, it looks as though it should be two classes below my 300h - BUT his nav system/radio - I'm jealous! He calls out a station name or station number (like Sirius 20 or saying E Street Radio) - and zap the radio tunes to that station. Why couldn't Lexus have done that?
I recently traded a '10 Fusion Hybrid for a '13 300h. The only features I miss are Ford's Sync and NAV touchscreen. Sync is far superior in ease of use, clarity of information, and intuitiveness. The LCD hybrid assist devices are far more effective than the simplistic Lexus gage. On all other counts, the 300h rocks! BTW, a loaded '13 Fusion Hybrid is 7 to 10K less than a well equipped 300h.

Last edited by Fly4u; 03-19-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-19-13, 07:38 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryKK
My MDX is this way as well, and it was initially a real annoyance when driving my wife's ES. I generally surf about 5 XM stations and 2 FM sports talk stations. I have preset those together and can scroll through them using the steering wheel controls. I do like the way the ES presets work in that all stations are together instead of separate presets for XM, FM, etc.
Old 03-19-13, 09:18 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scutmud
Lexus voice recognition is very limited. You cannot use voice commands to tune to a radio station. You cannot use a voice command to cancel (delete) current navigation, must use the mouse.
Yep, very frustrating that you can't even cancel the nav. by voice command, and only by mouse.
Old 03-19-13, 09:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by scutmud
Yes you can, probably not delete but radio stations and air condition settings, and bunch of other stuff. Here is the PDF from Manual, although GS I think it's the same.
GS Voice.pdf
Old 03-19-13, 10:04 AM
K7baixo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not knocking your sister's car but that was our target car right up until the point where we drove one and realized..... it's still a Ford. That technology is nice though but we're very happy with our purchase decision.
Old 03-19-13, 10:07 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Yes you can, probably not delete but radio stations and air condition settings, and bunch of other stuff. Here is the PDF from Manual, although GS I think it's the same.
Attachment 276562
Nope, not quite the same. I down loaded the list of voice commands from the GS, and tried it on the ES. For instance, the Cancel command for the Nav on the GS that didn't work. Some others worked, but not easy to use without that list. Got frustrated and gave up on the VC.
Old 03-19-13, 10:44 AM
JerryKK
Driver

Attachment 276562
Since your message is not clear - I can only assume that you are trying to say that on the GS you can tune to a particular station via voice command. I looked at your attachment and it's almost identical to the ES voice command - and, no, you cannot tune to a station via voice command via either model.

Quick Reply: Radio - I'm jealous!