ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Brand of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 05:03 AM
Lowellb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand of Gas

What's the best brand of unleaded gas to use for the 300h ?
Old 03-09-13, 06:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowellb
You will be fine with any name brand of gas. Most stations get their gas from the same distributor/wholesaler anyway. If you are really concerned look for A Top Tier Brand. They have a web site listing the brands. I don't necessarily look for them and have never had a problem, but it can't hurt.
Old 03-09-13, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I used to really be a gas brand snob. I would only use Exxon or BP or Shell. However, since gas prices have gotten so crazy, I am less so and as long as the station is modern and clean I'll fuel up at whatever is the cheapest.
Old 03-09-13, 09:18 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

"Gas stations all buy their supplies from the same local suppliers," says Consumer Reports Senior Associate Autos Editor Eric Evarts.

"Some of the gas at name-brand stations may have additional cleaning additives in it, which those brands advertise, and the other guys are not allowed to. But the reality is that they tend to come from the same terminals."
http://www.wtop.com/41/2918736/Consu...nks-gas-myths-
Old 03-09-13, 09:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I go with Shell 93 about 90% of the time and Exxon the other 10%.
I'd use Chevron but none in my area.
Old 03-09-13, 02:17 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If you can afford a new luxury car then you should be able to afford top tier premium gasolines from Chevron, Shell, Exxon to enjoy maximum engine performance and smoothness. And then you can skip the expensive "fuel system cleaning treatment" service your Lexus or Toyota dealer will try to sell you in the future because your fuel injectors will stay clean.

These top tier premium gasolines have more cleaning additive and the additive is added at the time of delivery to the gas station. So even though the tanker trucks may fill up at the same terminals, the additive package is added at the time of delivery to gas station (so says a Chevron tanker truck driver I know).
Old 03-09-13, 02:32 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
If you can afford a new luxury car then you should be able to afford top tier premium gasolines from Chevron, Shell, Exxon to enjoy maximum engine performance and smoothness. And then you can skip the expensive "fuel system cleaning treatment" service your Lexus or Toyota dealer will try to sell you in the future because your fuel injectors will stay clean.

These top tier premium gasolines have more cleaning additive and the additive is added at the time of delivery to the gas station. So even though the tanker trucks may fill up at the same terminals, the additive package is added at the time of delivery to gas station (so says a Chevron tanker truck driver I know).
If you want to keep your engine as clean as possible, you could buy your own fuel additive for 10 bucks that lasts 100 gallons. I still don't see a reason to use name brand gas over the other gas stations.
Old 03-09-13, 02:53 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Costco - as good as the best but costs a lot less!
Old 03-09-13, 04:04 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by Lowellb
You live in California (like I do) - our gas specially treated so we don't pollute the air - so just about any gas you get will be about the same. The car only calls for regular - experts will tell you that anything above that is a waste of money.
Old 03-09-13, 06:17 PM
Lowellb
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info
Old 03-09-13, 08:21 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I use Sunoco and Shell, other times I'll use Mobil. Honestly any gas you use will be fine I wouldn't worry about brand, as long is it looks clean as SW10ES said you should be fine.
Old 03-10-13, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its not a question of being able to afford it, its a question of value. If you watch unmarked fuel tankers filling up all of these gas stations it becomes apparent that by and large the fuel is the same. I know a guy who's dad was a fuel tanker driver and he said that he would fill Exxon, Shell, and no name stations out of the same tank, and pour a small tank of additives into the underground tanks when he was done per brand.

Don't assume that people who look for value do so because of money issues. I don't like paying more for the same thing.
Old 03-10-13, 09:56 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
no name stations out of the same tank, and pour a small tank of additives into the underground tanks when he was done per brand.
Right...and the no name brands get a less expensive, less effective detergent additive package, hence the no name gas is lower priced. Engine performance and fuel economy degrading deposits form on the intake valves and fuel injectors of cars that operate on these blue collar grade quick stop store gasolines.
Old 03-10-13, 10:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Right...and the no name brands get a less expensive, less effective detergent additive package, hence the no name gas is lower priced. Engine performance and fuel economy degrading deposits form on the intake valves and fuel injectors of cars that operate on these blue collar grade quick stop store gasolines.
The no name brands also have MUCH lower marketing costs than the big names. The big names spend millions and millions to advertise and establish their brand name for their stations, additives, mini marts etc. It's the same gas just marketed heavily,

I wonder how much difference there is in the additives of the different brands (V Power, Envigorate etc., etc.). Again they are similar products just with different brand names.

Just use whatever you are comfortable with and you can't go wrong.
Old 03-10-13, 12:51 PM
Fly4u
Banned

I generally check pricing via the Gasbuddy iPhone app but tend to patronize Arco stations.

Quick Reply: Brand of Gas