Need Info - HID lights and Land Departure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 02:59 PM
DASMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Info - HID lights and Land Departure

Hi all.
So after 4 months of waiting for my Loaded ES 300h special order, today the dealership faxes me a doc with the details of the car.

When I noticed that the HID lights were not listed as an option, I called the dealership and at first my sales person said that the HID lights were part of the Lane Departure Assist package. After I questioned that, he then said that the Lane Departure Assist and the HID headlamps could not be ordered together.

The best part is that he claims that he told me when the order was placed and he did no such thing. The only thing we had a question about was whether or not the Glass Breakage Sensor could be ordered - there was never any mention of the HIDs

There is also conflicting information on the Lexus website, as it lists HID lamps as being part of the UL package and also list it on the available options page.

I have a call into Lexus and they are going investigate and get back to me.

So, instead of going back and forth can you let me know if you were able to order the LDA option with the HID headlights on your 2013 ES 350 / 300h or not.

Thanks

Last edited by DASMan; 02-05-13 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 04:05 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the HID lights are part of the Lane Departure Assist package. I have both. If you ordered LDA, your vehicle should have the HID lights. (I noticed the same omission when I originally ordered my vehicle and questioned the dealer about it..)
Old 02-05-13, 04:28 PM
NEWESOWNER
Driver School Candidate

My ES350 (MSRP $44,398) has HID lights but Lane Departure Assist.
Old 02-05-13, 05:10 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like they ordered your car wrong and trying to cover up their mistake. I had a car ordered before I got the ES and they made a mistake. I think it's better to buy from dealer stock so that there are no surprises.

Last edited by LexRuger; 02-05-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 06:07 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I made sure the salesman got my order right. He really didn't have a clue what features the option packages had. So I had to go over it with him several times to make sure he ordered exactly what I wanted.

The HID headlights come standard on the UL model. You can order the LDA as a separate option and it comes with automatic Hi-beams not HID.
Old 02-05-13, 06:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Sounds like they ordered your car wrong and trying to cover up their mistake. I had a car ordered before I got the ES and they made a mistake. I think it's better to buy from dealer stock so that there are no surprises.

Me too. I'm always able to find what I want from dealer inventory in the area
Old 02-05-13, 07:19 PM
DASMan
Rookie

Originally Posted by ElliotB
I believe the HID lights are part of the Lane Departure Assist package. I have both. If you ordered LDA, your vehicle should have the HID lights. (I noticed the same omission when I originally ordered my vehicle and questioned the dealer about it..)
Thanks for the confirmation, ElliotB! I hope that Lexus didn't change things between the time you received your car and when I ordered mine.
Old 02-05-13, 07:32 PM
DASMan
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Ordering from dealers stock was not an option in my case. In order to get a deep sea mica 300h with a black interior, it had to be special ordered. Besides, the standard configs for cars being delivered to the northeast were all devoid of the technology features I was looking for.

Last edited by DASMan; 02-05-13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 07:46 PM
danolo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
I made sure the salesman got my order right. He really didn't have a clue what features the option packages had. So I had to go over it with him several times to make sure he ordered exactly what I wanted.

The HID headlights come standard on the UL model. You can order the LDA as a separate option and it comes with automatic Hi-beams not HID.
I agree with KennyLexus. I ordered Luxury package with LDA and PCS. The HID is in the Luxury/Ultra Luxury packages.
Old 02-06-13, 06:19 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't believe that HID is included in any option package. It is an individual option that is typically matched with the Luxury and Ultra luxury packages. I have the luxury package and HID lights are a separate individual option with an MSRP of $515. In looking online at dealer inventory, there are cars with the Ultra Luxury package that list HID separately.

As for the LDA, the Lexus website states: "Lane Departure Alert with intelligent high-beam headlamps" with the description: " Lane Departure Alert helps detect visible lane markings, and if you veer, it can warn you with audible and visual cues. Intelligent high-beam headlamps offer added illumination when the road ahead is clear and temporarily switch to low-beam when they sense another vehicle ahead".

But then the website also says that the HID headlight option includes an auto-leveling feature, which they do not.
Old 02-06-13, 09:38 AM
DASMan
Rookie

Originally Posted by wasjr
I don't believe that HID is included in any option package. It is an individual option that is typically matched with the Luxury and Ultra luxury packages. I have the luxury package and HID lights are a separate individual option with an MSRP of $515. In looking online at dealer inventory, there are cars with the Ultra Luxury package that list HID separately.

As for the LDA, the Lexus website states: "Lane Departure Alert with intelligent high-beam headlamps" with the description: " Lane Departure Alert helps detect visible lane markings, and if you veer, it can warn you with audible and visual cues. Intelligent high-beam headlamps offer added illumination when the road ahead is clear and temporarily switch to low-beam when they sense another vehicle ahead".

But then the website also says that the HID headlight option includes an auto-leveling feature, which they do not.

And that, my friend, is the crux of the issue here. There are different explanations on different web pages detailing different things.

So I got a call back from Lexus and they stated that the HIDs are included with the packages.

Who knows, maybe there was a change implemented in how Lexus packaged the options from the time the ES was originally released and the website was built until now.

I'm reserved to the fact that I won't know about the HID lights until after the vehicle arrives at the dealership and I see it for myself.

Last edited by DASMan; 02-06-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-06-13, 10:03 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Part the confusion may be semantics. Lexus typically builds cars (other than special orders) that contain certain option combinations. While HID is not IN a Luxury or Ultra package, I have not seen any Luxury or Ultra equipped vehicle that did not have the HID option WITH it. For the heck of it, I looked online at the inventory of a couple of large dealers and could not find a car with the LDA option so I could not check the HID/LDA combo. All vehicles I saw with Luxury or Ultra packages had a separate HID option. Good luck.
Old 02-06-13, 11:15 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Typically you need to have the Lux or Utra package to get the HIDs as an option. I have not seen an ES that has the HID that wasn't a Lux or Ultra, but those were not special orders. On the other hand, I have seen the Lux package without HIDs and I was specific in asking for that option with that package. His is a special order where these packages and added options may not apply.
Old 02-06-13, 01:13 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arty101
Typically you need to have the Lux or Utra package to get the HIDs as an option. I have not seen an ES that has the HID that wasn't a Lux or Ultra, but those were not special orders. On the other hand, I have seen the Lux package without HIDs and I was specific in asking for that option with that package. His is a special order where these packages and added options may not apply.
You are right, HID is typically with Lux or Ultra, but when I was looking at dealer inventory there were a few HID with Premium packages, and I saw a couple of HID with a Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package.
Old 02-10-13, 09:30 PM
jproudfo
Driver School Candidate

Just to clarify... I recently ordered an Ultra Luxury with LDA. Looking at my order sheet and the Lexus website, it doesn't look like HID and LDA can be ordered together. Is this correct? Are the auto high beam headlamps not HID?

Quick Reply: Need Info - HID lights and Land Departure