ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Nuluxe is Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 06:14 PM
CPepper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuluxe showing wear

I took delivery of my CT200h 2012 on 01/31/13. I have ecru Nuluxe interior. I have had the car less than 4 months and 3650 miles. The drivers seat has a wear spot next to the seam near the door.
I took it into the dealer last week the service advisor took some pictures. I took the car in today so the District Service & Parts Manager out of Alpharetta GA and the dealer's Fixed Operations Director could look at the seat. The local person just about said it was something I had done to the seat. From what the service advisor said he understood it to be a one time seat replacement. After I talked to district manager after the replacement seat cover is replaced just watch it for wear. So has anyone had problems with Nuluxe quality? Also I wear alot of jeans they are not new but the blue color transfer on to the Nuluxe. To date I am not impressed with Nuluxe.
Old 05-28-13, 07:01 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So the Lexus Nuluxe is no better than regular vinyl?
Old 05-28-13, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Can you post a picture of this wear spot?

Dye transfer is inevitable on that light color unfortunately.
Old 01-05-14, 12:44 PM
heyjoe737
Driver School Candidate

Default NuLuxe v Leather Debate

I just bought a 2014 IS 350 F Sport and leather is not an option, only NuLuxe. It has to do with the design of the seats in any F Sport. To create these seats, they tell me they had to use NuLuxe, that leather would wear out based on the design of the seat and the seated position of the driver. There are also no ventilated seats on the F Sports, again because of the design of the seat.

I will say the seat absolutely molds to the driver. As for the lack of ventilation, the placement of the fan would compromise the integrity of the seat used in F Sports.

I tend to believe the Lexus party line on this. The NuLuxe is comfortable, the seats in the IS F Sport are amazing. Now I may feel differently when it's July and 90 degrees here in CA.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-14, 01:54 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by CPepper
I took delivery of my CT200h 2012 on 01/31/13. I have ecru Nuluxe interior. I have had the car less than 4 months and 3650 miles. The drivers seat has a wear spot next to the seam near the door.
I took it into the dealer last week the service advisor took some pictures. I took the car in today so the District Service & Parts Manager out of Alpharetta GA and the dealer's Fixed Operations Director could look at the seat. The local person just about said it was something I had done to the seat. From what the service advisor said he understood it to be a one time seat replacement. After I talked to district manager after the replacement seat cover is replaced just watch it for wear. So has anyone had problems with Nuluxe quality? Also I wear alot of jeans they are not new but the blue color transfer on to the Nuluxe. To date I am not impressed with Nuluxe.
I have Parchment leather and also wear blue jeans. I noticed that the blue dye was transferring to the leather shortly after I got the car. I posted on here asking if there was any way to remove the dye. Another member suggested Ultima Interior shampoo Gel. I bought some and found that it is the best solution. Works like a charm removing the blue dye easily. Available on the internet for around $20.
Old 01-09-14, 05:23 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Bill, thanks for that info. Hopefully I won't need it, but good to know,

Art
Old 03-06-14, 03:32 PM
pete44
Driver School Candidate

Great stuff guys. Thanks for all the comments and info. I'm shopping online, nationally, for a CT200h and really wanted the leather until I read all this. Now I don't really care and think I'll like the NuLux fine and it'll likely last better and not stretch and crack as easily.
Old 03-07-14, 05:12 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pete44
Great stuff guys. Thanks for all the comments and info. I'm shopping online, nationally, for a CT200h and really wanted the leather until I read all this. Now I don't really care and think I'll like the NuLux fine and it'll likely last better and not stretch and crack as easily.
Not to worry Pete - my wife was skeptical of the NuLuxe when we got her ES last year but now loves it and swears it is more comfortable.

Bill G
The following users liked this post:
Ambrosia (02-16-21)
Old 03-08-14, 01:16 PM
heyjoe737
Driver School Candidate

I have the nuluxe on my 2014 is 350 f sport. i was taken aback when the salesman said that was the only option. now i have to admit i like it. and given the fit of the seats, this stuff will hopefully last longer and wear better than leather.

another thing that surprised me about the f trim is that the seats aren't ventilated. apparently allows the seat to sit lower.
Old 03-08-14, 04:52 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyjoe737
I have the nuluxe on my 2014 is 350 f sport. i was taken aback when the salesman said that was the only option. now i have to admit i like it. and given the fit of the seats, this stuff will hopefully last longer and wear better than leather.

another thing that surprised me about the f trim is that the seats aren't ventilated. apparently allows the seat to sit lower.
Hum, this could be the reason the ventilated leather seats are having problems - the support and foam under the seat covering to supply air may not be sufficient.
Old 03-10-14, 05:24 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Hum, this could be the reason the ventilated leather seats are having problems - the support and foam under the seat covering to supply air may not be sufficient.
Just to clarify, it is some of the ventilated leather seats that are having an issue. I have 10,300 miles on my 2013 ES300h UL that I purchased new in January 2013 and the seats look as new.
Old 03-10-14, 09:08 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I was just postulating on the possible issue on "some" of the ES leather seats. If Lexus uses the Nulex on the Fsport seats for the fit of those seats, then perhaps that seat system cannot use the ventilated seats and support system found with the ventilated leather seats. .

I have almost 12K miles and 16 months on my ventilated leather seats and they also look new.
Old 03-10-14, 06:24 PM
uncle
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I do like leather, but have Nulux on my 2013, It is quite acceptable in every way. That said, I have leather on my wife's RX and it is fine, low miles, garage kept, and minimal passenger use.
But, my experience in general, and my observations is that the leather used by most Japanese automakers does not hold up well. It seems that it is cut a bit too thin.
Compare it to the leather on a Cadillac , or a Jaguar, and you will see what I mean,
Old 09-02-16, 07:14 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

any long term followup comments from 2013 owners with Nuluxe? any long term durability issues, or staining etc?

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The non-UL leather in the ES is not very nice quality IMHO, I actually think the NuLuxe feels nicer.

As others have said, a synthetic leather is very common. Its actually hard to find an MB with leather, actually, below the $65k pricepoint.

As others have also said, the Avalon is the flagship Toyota, and the ES is the entry level Lexus. Cost cutting is everywhere on the ES, and its gotten worse with each generation unfortunately.
Old 09-02-16, 07:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had NuLuxe on my IS and loved it. In fact, I would choose it over leather any day, if given the choice.

I had my IS for over 2 years and the NuLuxe looked like the day I got it when I traded it in. It did not have any wear at all. I bought my RX with leather at the same time and within 6 months I could see some wear on it.

Quick Reply: Nuluxe is Luxury?