ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Thumping Noise from Mark Levinson speaker / subwoofer

Old 04-01-13, 10:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsobi
One thing, thankfully, that I found is if I enable the Surround DSP when playing CDs, it cuts the upper-bass hump down to where the sound is not ideal but at least listenable, and still better than the crap stock system.
If I'm understanding you, that's the exact opposite of how mine functions. Turning the DSP surround setting to "on" makes the bass more boomey. Kind of like how loudness controls used to work.
Old 04-01-13, 05:07 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I contacted Lexus this afternoon and spoke with a case manager. They are supposed to contact me mid-week. Lets hope we can get a fix for the sub distortion.
Old 04-01-13, 05:40 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lisa, we just need more people to call. I am waiting for Lexus to call me back as well.
Old 04-02-13, 08:52 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike728
If I'm understanding you, that's the exact opposite of how mine functions. Turning the DSP surround setting to "on" makes the bass more boomey. Kind of like how loudness controls used to work.
Difference between the 2009 and the 2013 versions of the ML. The actual function of the setting (making quasi-5.1 from 2.0) remains the same, however. That it can be used as a sort of equalizer is, I'm sure, an unintended use.
Old 04-03-13, 06:59 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bobsobi
If it's reading the high-res layer, it should be able to do discrete 5.1. If not, then 2013 ES ML owners have been screwed since previous MLs could. The 2013 owner's manual is confusing on the point, indicating in one spot that it plays "liner PCM", but showing in another a disclaimer that lists some discs that may not be compatible, and "DVD-A" is right in there.
I just spent some time confirming the 2013 ML in the ES plays 5.1 adv res DVD-A just fine. You MUST leave the DSP off, though (stereo mode). If you turn surround on it does the opposite. The more I listen to this system, the more I prefer the DSP off. I initially said XM sounded sub standard, but that was in the systems default surround mode. Turning it off, it actually sounds decent. The only exception is Pandora. Not sure why, but it sounds better in DSP surround.

If there is anyone in the Chicago area that is having this "Thumping" or "Distorted" sub issue, I would really like to hear it in person and show you that not all ML's exhibit this defect. I certainly don't buy the claims of "all the 2013 ES ML's in the dealer's lot have this issue" that someone posted earlier. Internet sites like this tend to attract people that have legitimate complaints, but those that have no issues have no reason to join and voice their positive opinions.
Old 04-04-13, 06:03 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Mike728, not sure if you are talking about the sound of a movie or music. If you are talking about music when you turn off the surround sound it does not sound good at all. Your better off with the original basic stereo system. If Lexus can get the sub or the amp issue fixed we would not be complaining. I have had always great systems in my cars and the sound of this system when playing music with base is the worst. We should not compromised .
Old 04-04-13, 06:13 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Music4ever
Mike728, not sure if you are talking about the sound of a movie or music. If you are talking about music when you turn off the surround sound it does not sound good at all.
Music. I have not played a movie, since it's pretty ridiculous what you need to do actually play it. I'm guessing you have the hybrid?
Old 04-04-13, 06:43 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Yep, the lexus es 300h
Old 04-04-13, 07:42 PM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

I commute to University of Illinois at Chicago every week day so I'm usually in the Chicago area..
Old 04-04-13, 10:44 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Your better off with the original basic stereo system" The ML system is much, much, much better than the standard system.
Old 04-05-13, 03:53 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Mark Levinson may be a better system, but on my 300h it is not a much, much, much better system. I actually tried a Drake & Little Wayne cd in a regular system at the dealership last night and it did not have any distortion at all and in the ML most songs I cannot go over 40 volumes. I will have to agree The ML system does sound better than the standard till you start getting the distortion. The system goes up to 63 volume and I can only raise it to about 40 volume. Until Lexus does not fix the issue in my eyes this is one of the worst systems I have ever owned. The subwoofer or even the speakers were not built for the amp, in my opinion Lexus cheap out and needs to correct it. Especially if we try to fix it ourselves they will void the warranty.
Old 04-05-13, 05:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Music4ever
I actually tried a Drake & Little Wayne cd in a regular system at the dealership last night and it did not have any distortion at all and in the ML most songs I cannot go over 40 volumes.
If you get a chance, try the CD in a ML equipped ES350 and see how it sounds. I've had mine in the mid 50's with absolutely no distortion.
Old 04-05-13, 06:08 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Thanks Mike, I will try to find a dealership in my area that has a 350 with a ML system so I can try.
Old 04-05-13, 07:29 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike728
If you get a chance, try the CD in a ML equipped ES350 and see how it sounds. I've had mine in the mid 50's with absolutely no distortion.
I am in the same boat here, no distortion even with volume cranked in the mid 50s, at +3 bass. It's possible that, like the tires, Lexus would have multiple source manufacturers for speakers/subs and you maybe onto something with the prevalence of this issue among the 300h owners.
Old 04-05-13, 07:51 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"tried a Drake & Little Wayne cd in a regular system at the dealership last night and it did not have any distortion at all and in the ML most songs I cannot go over 40 volumes"

The standard system may not distort as easily but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the ML system and certainly doesn't have the deep base that the ML system has . After three months, I have finally found some adjustments to the audio controls that work pretty decently most the time ( on the odd song where there is distortion, I simply turn the volume down.) While the ML system is certainly not perfect or the best one out there in a vehicle, I would never trade it for the standard system.

With adjustments to the audio controls, if you can get decent sound in the vehicle with the ML system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thumping Noise from Mark Levinson speaker / subwoofer