ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Terrible Voice Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 06:10 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Terrible Voice Control

Last night my wife clicked on the voice controls when she was driving and was saying "warmer" to adjust the climate controls. Now neither of us have any accents and it was just all over the place trying to make a phone call or saying "pardon?". You can't even use the mouse to select cancel you have to say it and it kept getting that wrong. Never again are we going to try that feature
Old 02-06-13, 06:21 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can always cancel voice command by holding down the command button.
Old 02-06-13, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

You have to make sure you are using the right commands. I don't think warmer is the correct command.
Old 02-06-13, 08:18 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW10ES
You have to make sure you are using the right commands. I don't think warmer is the correct command.
"Warmer" is an extended command you just have to enable them in the system, but still once it tried "Calling James" when that was not even close to what we said. The voice command recognition on an Xbox and Android devices is clearly leagues above this system.
Old 02-07-13, 05:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I had two Lexus and the voice recognition on both left a lot to be desired. The system on our new car, another brand, is much better and works as it should.
Old 02-07-13, 06:54 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Using the buttons or nav screen seem just as fast to me. By the time it asks you to say your keyword and then tells you what you've selected, I can already have it done manually. LOL
Old 02-07-13, 07:06 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you have to push a button to activate the voice command, it is probably faster/easier just to press the temperature button instead on the dash.
Old 02-07-13, 07:58 AM
brunla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ES is a step down technology wise from the IS or HS models. I had both and the voice commands were great. You could say things like 74 degrees and it would change it to what you want. You cannot even cancel a destination by voice with this system. Disappointed in Lexus. They should never go backwards in technology, or have features on less expensive cars that aren't on more expensive models. Not a smart business move.
Old 02-07-13, 08:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This is probably a stretch, but, the demographic of a majority of ES buyers has always been up around 60 years of age. Maybe on this model Lexus doesn't see the need to be state of the art as far as electronics etc. go.

Cadillac, Buick, Lincoln etc. have added a lot of features to their new models so it is interesting that the ES seems to lag in some areas.
Old 02-07-13, 10:33 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Since you have to push a button to activate the voice command, it is probably faster/easier just to press the temperature button instead on the dash.
well of course it's faster, we just were checking out all the toys. It could be the voice recognition microphone is in a terrible place and maybe you have to "yell" at it for it to hear you properly. Sometimes my wife speaks a little to softly except on this occasion I heard her loud and clear
Old 02-07-13, 11:07 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

"It could be the voice recognition microphone" I think it is more like the car's VR system has a very limited vocabulary! It is almost a useless feature because accessing anything on it is so sloooooooooooow.
Old 02-08-13, 11:51 AM
Snype
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some examples of what you're saying that it doesn't get?
Old 02-08-13, 11:58 AM
unowned
Pole Position

We haven't tried since that one time, but did spend some time going over the navigation voice command section in the navigation manual. We'll probably enable the extended commands and try it again next trip.
Old 02-08-13, 05:02 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

"she was driving and was saying "warmer""

Unfortunately you cannot just way "warmer"... you need to be in the climate control setting mode. I was playing around with the system and was able to adjust the temperature with the VC. But only after navigating to the climate control setting mode. You need to say “Automatic climate control” first to enter the climate control setting mode, and then say Warmer or Cooler although the manual does state that you should be able to adjust this from the main menu (I was not able to).

It would probably be helpful to have a list of the available commands. I have not been able to find one for this vehicle.

I was able to use some of the commands from this list:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...the-gs350.html

From the manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...07U/pdf/07.pdf

Last edited by ElliotB; 02-08-13 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 09:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by brunla
The ES is a step down technology wise from the IS or HS models.
LOL, its the same system! They don't design different systems for different models, they design one system and implement it into the various models.

Toyota/Lexus VR has never been great. Its a little better in my GS than in my previous cars, but still not great. It calls people from my phonebook great, which is what I need it to do. The rest are just parlor tricks IMHO.

Quick Reply: Terrible Voice Control