ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Burning Rubber smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 07:55 AM
Slackbus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Rubber smell

Second time this has happened... first time I figured it was just my imagination.
It's -9 Celsius, so I decided to start my car and warm it up before leaving - about 15minutes.
When I went out to my car there was a slight burning rubber smell. Slightly noticeable outside, definitely noticeable inside. Disappears as soon as I drive away, but while parked it was noticeable.

I wonder if its the windshield wipers against the front heating element (I had turned it on), or if its something else? A bit disconcerting, I don't feel like having something melting in my car is a good thing.
Old 01-21-13, 08:16 AM
Artistik D
Rookie

i too have smelt the same thing.
Old 01-21-13, 07:42 PM
UTAS
Driver

I would definitely have it checked out at your local Lexus dealership. Could be a number of things that would only be guesses; something is vulcanizing when it should not be - have it checked out at Lexus.
Old 01-22-13, 08:46 AM
Artistik D
Rookie

my smell stopped.
Old 01-22-13, 12:18 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

David, I noticed in your profile you have the (h). RE: warming the car up, you should treat it just as we do our RXh models. Drive it moderately from the get go. When you just turn it on the ICE (internal combustion engine) comes on after a few seconds and if you're not actually driving, it will shut down and start again later depending on the traction battery status. You'll never get it to full operating temps that way, you have to drive it.

Just reading your post it's impossible to say what is causing the smell, if it keeps doing that even after driving the car I'd take it in just to be safe. There are many changes in the hybrids the gas only models don't have. Sometimes you'll hear odd/new sounds of something purging after you've shut it off. Maybe even hours later. Those are normal and purging vapors is exactly what it's doing.

Besides body style and engine size there isn't much difference in the way your ES and our RXh models work. Our board separates the RX300 and the RX450h. Drop in for a chat and you may find answers to many of your (h) specific questions. Or feel free to ask if you don't find the answer here. We've even developed a FAQ thread of the most common and their answers.

I looked at the ESh when they came out but I'm just stuck in the SUV culture . You've got a great car, it should give you a lot of enjoyment.
Originally Posted by Slackbus
Second time this has happened... first time I figured it was just my imagination.
It's -9 Celsius, so I decided to start my car and warm it up before leaving - about 15minutes.
When I went out to my car there was a slight burning rubber smell. Slightly noticeable outside, definitely noticeable inside. Disappears as soon as I drive away, but while parked it was noticeable.

I wonder if its the windshield wipers against the front heating element (I had turned it on), or if its something else? A bit disconcerting, I don't feel like having something melting in my car is a good thing.
Old 01-22-13, 04:47 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I smelled something a couple of times while walking in front of my vehicle after driving it. I chalked it up to factory lube burning off. Haven't smelled it for weeks now.
Old 01-23-13, 07:28 AM
Slackbus
Driver

Cruiter, with -14 Celsius I can confirm that the ICE is not turning off in Normal mode. Especially not at startup when I'm requesting full cabin temperature. I'm warming it up for me, not for the car

Since others have noted it and its going away, it could be "new car smells". I've only driven ~3000km since picking up the car in November, so I'll see if it goes away with a couple more warm ups.
Old 01-23-13, 06:50 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the extreme cold you guys face up there. You're right, probably cuts on as soon as you push the button.
Originally Posted by Slackbus
Cruiter, with -14 Celsius I can confirm that the ICE is not turning off in Normal mode. Especially not at startup when I'm requesting full cabin temperature. I'm warming it up for me, not for the car

Since others have noted it and its going away, it could be "new car smells". I've only driven ~3000km since picking up the car in November, so I'll see if it goes away with a couple more warm ups.
Old 01-24-13, 04:34 PM
UTAS
Driver

Long ago, when I was young (so long ago, can hardly recall) my college roommate and I would drive home in his '59 Ford. Along the way from Madison, WI in the winter snow we ocassionally would smell rubber and possibly transmission fluid burning - maybe it was the brakes. Who knows? I remember us looking at one another, shrugging a little, and moving on.

However, these are Lexus' and it is now 2013 - I still think a service call is warranted. FWIW