ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ML Audio - Are you happy with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 01:55 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ML Audio - Are you happy with it?

I find it pretty good overall but don't get the really deep bass I like. When I turn the bass up, I seem get distortion/popping (like you get on a cheap radio). How do you find yours?
Old 01-06-13, 03:21 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've never been a fan of The ML systems to be honest. They were terrible on the older Lexus models but they have improved over the years. The bass can be wimpy at times too and it does get distorted at loud volumes.
Old 01-06-13, 09:55 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is good except the bass can get distorted especially at high volumes. I notice this really bad with Pandora. I have already been toying with the idea of putting in an aftermarket subwoofer as I love my raggae and am very partial to bass!
Old 01-06-13, 01:58 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

acapella music sounds fantastic on it. and overall i really like ML, but it's not like i have a non-ML to compare it. you also have to figure that with streaming audio, or low quality mp3 (converted from CD from a long time ago when 192kbps was "high quality" and 128kbps was "standard", that would play a part in how good it sounds.......
Old 01-06-13, 03:00 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

I believe compression is coming into play with Pandora (I don't have it myself). Sirius XM also has the same issue. It sounds pretty good but FM sounds much better than Sirius XM IMHO. I am just surprised that I can't crank up the bass. I have another vehicle with the ML system and the bass rocks the car and is crystal clear.
Old 01-06-13, 03:39 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
I believe compression is coming into play with Pandora (I don't have it myself). Sirius XM also has the same issue. It sounds pretty good but FM sounds much better than Sirius XM IMHO. I am just surprised that I can't crank up the bass. I have another vehicle with the ML system and the bass rocks the car and is crystal clear.
I have ML in my 2006 GS and it has great sound and does not distort. I am still waiting for my 2013 ES300h UL with ML to arrive so I will compare them once it arrives. There was an earlier thread here somewhere where the member's sub-woofer was bad and once the dealer replaced it the bass was good. Those with distortion may want to have it looked at. I agree that Sirius XM is too compressed for my taste. Since it is a pay service I believe they also need to have music only channels and do away with the DJs.
Old 01-06-13, 04:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
I have ML in my 2006 GS and it has great sound and does not distort. I am still waiting for my 2013 ES300h UL with ML to arrive so I will compare them once it arrives. There was an earlier thread here somewhere where the member's sub-woofer was bad and once the dealer replaced it the bass was good. Those with distortion may want to have it looked at. I agree that Sirius XM is too compressed for my taste. Since it is a pay service I believe they also need to have music only channels and do away with the DJs.
Sirius does seem to be increasing the exposure of DJ's on their music channels. It's like they are trying to have more "personalities" on the air vs. just playing music. I prefer the music vs. too much chatter.
Old 01-06-13, 04:29 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Sirius does seem to be increasing the exposure of DJ's on their music channels. It's like they are trying to have more "personalities" on the air vs. just playing music. I prefer the music vs. too much chatter.
I agree.
Sirius should be like my TV cable system music channels.Song after song,no talk.
Old 01-06-13, 07:53 PM
lemon397
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was only my ML distorting at high volume and high bass.
Old 01-11-13, 05:55 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO don't get too excited on the type of stereo you get in your car unless it's aftermarket. I traded in my MB E500 with an HK stereo system with sub-woofer. Believe me I know what real good sound is. These stock stereo is nothing. If you really want sound definition and good music, invest on adding an after market amplifier. Even with stock head unit and speakers, the amplifier will definitely change the sound, night and day difference.

I believe the amplifier on this car is separate from the head unit and it is located under the driver seat. I'm sure this can be upgraded soon.
Old 01-11-13, 06:26 PM
RTSM
Driver

I thought that I would share even thought it is an older model. I have a 2011 UL with ML and the system provides great mids and highs with good separation. Again try to run the highest quality media to fully appreciate it, not the compressed media through Pandora or poorly recorded MP3's and XM.
I added a sub to my ML system and the combination of the ML mid/highs and the added sub transformed my system, now the bass is inline with the rest of the spectrum and balances the overall sound. Initially I was dissapointed with the output of the ML surround speakers in the rear deck (I could not hear them without concentrating) and considered replacing them however I found a ipod app named BBE Sonic Max Pro, it has a spacial setting that has brings the surrounds alive, now with the sub and this app I am completely satisfied with my ML system. Note that i tried the BBE Sonic pro for Android and it is terrible so avoid that one. PM me if you want to know more about my sub install,
wish I had the newer ES it is a great car but still happy with my 2011.
Best of luck!
Old 01-12-13, 01:17 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

RTSM, where in the vehicle was the additional sub-woofer added?
Old 01-14-13, 10:55 AM
Slackbus
Driver

I enjoy the ML system. I have a B&W speaker set at home, so I am quite comfortable with its relaxed sound. Mids / Highs are indeed very nice. The lows are definitely not the tightest, but they are coherent and everything generally pulls together nicely. I listen to XM usually, Alt Nation or Lithium, at Vol 35 ~ 39 and find it quite decent. Definitely better than JBL, or any other stock sound I've heard. (though for pure energy, I must say that the Rockford Fosgate upgrade in Mitsubishi's was a surprising kick during my test drive).
Old 01-20-13, 08:37 PM
kesando
Rookie

The ML in the im my parents UL ES300h has great mids and highs with great imaging. I agree however that the subwoofer is the most obvious weak link in the upgraded stereo. Something like an infinty basslink would make a big difference IMO.
Old 01-21-13, 09:59 AM
RTSM
Driver

Here's a picture of my install, since this picture was taken I finished up the wire looms to cover all of the wires. I had issues with the ML amp signal keeping the amp on so I purchased the LC2i LOC which solved the issue. I choose the Rockford Fosgate 500 amp because it was small and so I could mount everything up and out of the way. The amp has more then enough power, I have the gain all the way down so I think the 300 series of this amp should do well in case you want to save some cash. With this install th sub rocks and with it balances out the ML sound.
Attached Thumbnails ML Audio - Are you happy with it?-imgp2317a.jpg  

Quick Reply: ML Audio - Are you happy with it?