Print Wikipost

HID bulbs for fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 09:28 PM
lemon397
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdfanatic
turns out I was sent the wrong bulbs (9006 instead of h11). will be waiting a few more days.
that sucks...I ordered mine and waiting for it to arrive. Can you post some pics?
Old 01-22-13, 12:09 PM
lemon397
Rookie

i got mine but have no idea how to install It came with a wiring diagram but not very instructional. can an expert guide us.
Old 01-22-13, 01:55 PM
sessionstu
Rookie

Page 728 of the owner's manual
Old 01-23-13, 08:17 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lemon397
i got mine but have no idea how to install It came with a wiring diagram but not very instructional. can an expert guide us.
Hey Lemon, I got my lighting kit yesterday...I'm guessing from the same place you got yours; Ebay. The bulbs have H8/H9/H11 on the wire harness. However the bulbs are straight not angled like the OEM bulbs in the owner manual...page 728. Are your bulbs from Ebay straight or angled (90*) like the ones in the owner manual?
Old 01-24-13, 08:47 AM
lemon397
Rookie

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
Hey Lemon, I got my lighting kit yesterday...I'm guessing from the same place you got yours; Ebay. The bulbs have H8/H9/H11 on the wire harness. However the bulbs are straight not angled like the OEM bulbs in the owner manual...page 728. Are your bulbs from Ebay straight or angled (90*) like the ones in the owner manual?
I have not gone through the manual yet but my bulbs are straight. can you post some pics on how you got to OEM bulbs? thanks

Last edited by lemon397; 01-24-13 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 10:45 AM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lemon397
I have not gone through the manual yet but my bulbs are straight. can you post some pics on how you got to OEM bulbs? thanks
On pg 728 of the owner manual, the light bulb socket is 90*. The ones we got from EBay have straight light bulb sockets. I guess the straight ones will be ok as long as there's enough clearance. I haven't had the chance to look at my car's set up yet.
Old 01-24-13, 05:20 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you guys sure that the Ebay seller sold you the right bulbs? Something doesn't sound right.
Old 01-24-13, 07:05 PM
lemon397
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arty101
Are you guys sure that the Ebay seller sold you the right bulbs? Something doesn't sound right.
Read Lexos350 post. Ordered the same bulbs.
Old 01-25-13, 10:39 AM
Lexos350
Driver School Candidate

Here is a comparison Picture of what you should have recieved and stock light bulb.
There is more than enough clearance to install H11 bulb. I installed my lights by taking off the panel from right under fog lights, It took me about 15 - 30 minutes to install as there were a bit of screws to take off. Once I took off panel there was plenty of room to work with and it was easy to find a place for ballast.

Old 01-25-13, 07:06 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Lexos350;7725171]Here is a comparison Picture of what you should have recieved and stock light bulb.
There is more than enough clearance to install H11 bulb. I installed my lights by taking off the panel from right under fog lights, It took me about 15 - 30 minutes to install as there were a bit of screws to take off. Once I took off panel there was plenty of room to work with and it was easy to find a place for ballast.

Thanks Lexos for the pics and tips. I should be able to install mine this weekend.
Old 01-26-13, 02:14 PM
lemon397
Rookie

[quote=KennyLexus;7726110]
Originally Posted by Lexos350
Here is a comparison Picture of what you should have recieved and stock light bulb.

Thanks Lexos for the pics and tips. I should be able to install mine this weekend.
thanks Lexos350.

kennyleus: please post pics if you can.
Old 01-26-13, 07:24 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Default DIY - HID foglight install

So I got bored tonight and decided to install the HID foglights. First, you're going to have to remove more than the (1) screw as the owner manual describes...unless you're a small child with little hands. I started on the driver side and removed (5) screws from the cover; (1) as the manual says and (4) in the surrounding area; you'll know which ones when you start the project.

This will allow plenty of access to remove the OEM bulb and install the HID. The connections are plug and play. However, I did take my time to find a good mounting spot for the ballast. Here's a couple pictures of the driver side mounted and the cover peeled back.
EDITED: DO NOT USE DOUBLE-BACK TAPE TO MOUNT BALLAST
HID bulbs for fog lights-lexus-es300h-hid-foglights-003.jpg

HID bulbs for fog lights-lexus-es300h-hid-foglights-001.jpg

Once you finish the driver side, now you get to do the passenger side. Screw removals are the same as driver side.

HID bulbs for fog lights-lexus-es300h-hid-foglights-007.jpg

HID bulbs for fog lights-lexus-es300h-hid-foglights-006.jpg

Project completed.

HID bulbs for fog lights-lexus-es300h-hid-foglights-009.jpg

Last edited by KennyLexus; 02-23-13 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Ballast mounting note
Old 01-26-13, 08:33 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice job and pics Kenny. How long did it take? You say it's also plug and play? No special relay or harness other than what's included in the HID kit?
Old 01-26-13, 09:10 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arty101
Nice job and pics Kenny. How long did it take? You say it's also plug and play? No special relay or harness other than what's included in the HID kit?
Thanks. It took me about an hour. I did the install in my garage at night using an old school drop light so that I could see. I really need to get a fluorescent drop light the incandescent gets really hot. It probably would have taken less time if done on a sunny day.

The kit has everything you need just push the spaded wires (in the kit) into the hollow connector (in the kit). This will plug into the connector you disconnect from your OEM fog light. No splicing required. Be sure you match up the polarity [ +(red) and -(black) ] correctly.
Old 01-28-13, 09:19 PM
jmaloneydo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up Kenny, I just finished doing my install today, I ordered the same bulbs as you from the same guy off the Ebay link, they arrived the very next day and with the help of your pics I was able to get the job done in about an hour total for both sides. The light it puts out looks awesome at night and much better accents the "high end" look of our cars as compared to the OEM fog lights. A nice upgrade to an already awesome ride!

Quick Reply: HID bulbs for fog lights