ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Passenger seat rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 12:43 PM
rtrider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger seat rattles

when not occupied, the upper section seems to shake with every bump and produces a dull rattle. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 01-01-13, 02:52 PM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Means you always need your seat occupied! Check the seatbelt to make sure it's not tangled ... It annoys my so I recline the seats back so it has plenty of room to untangle when someone leaves
Old 01-01-13, 06:09 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by rtrider
when not occupied, the upper section seems to shake with every bump and produces a dull rattle. Anyone else have this issue?
My seat belt buckle hits the pillar, especially when the wife leaves the height adjustment on the lower setting. I always raise it up to the top setting and seems to help.
Old 01-01-13, 06:43 PM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Originally Posted by A320pilot
My seat belt buckle hits the pillar, especially when the wife leaves the height adjustment on the lower setting. I always raise it up to the top setting and seems to help.
+1. I heard this yesterday only to find out it was the seat bet buckle hitting the pillar. I jiggled it and rattle was gone.
Old 01-01-13, 08:01 PM
rtrider
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow.
Old 01-03-13, 12:57 PM
rtrider
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, you nailed it..... the seat belt buckle was hitting the pillar causing a dull rattle. Adjusted and viola, back to a quiet cabin...
Old 01-24-13, 05:49 AM
lawmorrow
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 es300 passenger seat rattle

Yes. It is a nuisance! I can only get it to stop when the seat is either occupied or a a certain angle and position.The dealer, so far, claims my car is the "only" one he's heard of with this problem. It seems to come from inside the upper, interior part of the seat near the headrest.

Anyone out there with a solution?
The following users liked this post:
ungern (10-12-21)
Old 01-24-13, 06:59 AM
mikedege
Rookie

Same problem with me. Dealer cant find or fix it, claims not to hear it. Pretty soon, Im gonna rip that seat out. Lol. Will follow post. Let ya know if i fix it.

Thx
Mike
Old 01-24-13, 04:25 PM
UTAS
Driver

See this link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...rattles-2.html

It describes an exceedingly frustrating time with a rattle in our ES300h, which ended up being in the headliner. Lexus of Naperville confirmed later that another 300h came in with the same issue, but was fixed before hitting the lot. These are being written up to corporate Toyota; it's being fixed, but it will take time.

This may be worth a look / see. FWIW
Old 01-24-13, 05:11 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You know, come to think of it, my old GS400 would rattle and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I read about a similar rattle in CL - it was coming from the sliding moon roof/head liner. I ended up shoving some fabric between the rail and liner to quiet it down. It's worth having that checked out.
Old 03-26-13, 04:19 PM
brittm
Driver School Candidate

Mine does the same thing. Took it in to have them look at it, at first they couldnt hear anything but then heard it and said there was nothing that could be done that is just how the car is made. And it wasnt the seatbelt causing the rattle either.
Old 03-26-13, 04:56 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to another dealer.
Old 03-27-13, 07:48 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2013 ES350 for a loaner over the past weekend. I noticed the same passenger seat rattle when not occupied. It was definitely not the seatbelt. The interesting thing is that my 2007 ES350 had the same rattle. So this seems to be an ongoing problem for some. The noise in my 2007 was VERY annoying. My dealership spent some time trying to fix it. Nothing worked. I finally found a "fix" for it. I wedged a small white towel between the center console and the passenger seat. I could get the towell so that you could not hardly see it. That stopped the rattle completely. Not sure if that 's an option on the 2013, but it sure worked for me.
Old 03-27-13, 09:51 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
I had a 2013 ES350 for a loaner over the past weekend. I noticed the same passenger seat rattle when not occupied. It was definitely not the seatbelt. The interesting thing is that my 2007 ES350 had the same rattle. So this seems to be an ongoing problem for some. The noise in my 2007 was VERY annoying. My dealership spent some time trying to fix it. Nothing worked. I finally found a "fix" for it. I wedged a small white towel between the center console and the passenger seat. I could get the towell so that you could not hardly see it. That stopped the rattle completely. Not sure if that 's an option on the 2013, but it sure worked for me.
If the fix was that easy, then Lexus should consider adding some rubber washers to the mounting points to absorb the vibrations from the car.
Old 03-27-13, 01:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
What I have found as the cause for the rattles in the passenger seat is that when the car is moving the seatback vibrates from side to side. Thus, when you placed the towel alongside you eliminated the movement. When a person is sitting the seatback cannot move. I do not have this issue in my '13 350 but did in my '06 Avalon. The soft towel seems to be a good semi-permanent solution that won't damage the upholstery.
The following users liked this post:
ungern (10-12-21)

Quick Reply: Passenger seat rattles