Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h Maitiance schedule questions

Old 08-23-19, 01:16 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default ES300h Maitiance schedule questions

maintenance schedule questions.
so im looking at the maintenance schedule and i might be missing it but what's confusing is i can't find info on trans fluid changes
i see the inverter fluid for the hybrid says to replace at 150k and then every 50k after that is inverter fluid the oil for the hybrid battery motor or is that the transmission fluid ?
the 2.5 Liter turbocharged 4 cylinder gas motor does it have a timing belt or chain that needs to be replaced.
something i am having trouble with is opening each and every 5k and 10 k service to find out and read what services need ot be done when
like my 07 ES350 i see where it says at specific miles change spark plugs or like 120k or maybe it was 140k replace trans fluid
power steering fluid brake fluid that major maintenance preventive stuff that needs to be done i am looking for a list that has these services and the miles that its suggested to have these services done for my 2016 Lexus ES300H such as timing belt or chain anything major for preventive.
i was looking under the hood i see its a bit confusing so we have Electronic Power Steering system ? so no fluid that needs to be changed but does the system still need to be lubed or pump need to be serviced to prevent it from going out ?
please if someone can help me with this info thank you
Old 08-23-19, 02:25 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Lexus states do not change it. Guarantee you are going to get members posting nothing last forever, needs to be changed and I have changed the fluid and have had no problems. Ask them how much experience do they have working on transmission and specifically Lexus transmissions.
My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem. Asked him what lifetime meant and see said life of the car. Save your $$$$$
Old 08-23-19, 05:01 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Freds430
Lexus states do not change it. Guarantee you are going to get members posting nothing last forever, needs to be changed and I have changed the fluid and have had no problems. Ask them how much experience do they have working on transmission and specifically Lexus transmissions.
My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem. Asked him what lifetime meant and see said life of the car. Save your $$$$$
ok cool good to know about the trans now
but what about other services?
such as brake Florida this is what every 30k ?
we dont have power steering fluid, do we ? i think we have electronic PS
coolant for the engine and inverter ? its the same cooling just different parts? so have to have two services for that or does it share the same main tank so when one gets done they bouth get done?
inverter coolant is first called for at 150k then every 50k after that is that the same for engine coolant also?
spark plugs 4 in our 4 cylinders but do they get done at 120k as the 350 does?
what about drive belts like serpentine belt or timing chain or do we have timing belts?
is there any services we need to do for the hybrid components ? or just don't touch them until they go bad? any preventive maintenance for hyrbiid still trying to understand like we have a electric motor in our vehicle and also the gas motor or is it one motor that shares both?
Old 08-23-19, 05:27 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Every 10,000 miles oil change. Every 30,000 miles brake fluid change. At 105,000 miles antifreeze flush and then every 50,000 miles. I changed my cabin and air filters once a year. Takes less than 5 minutes. Buy both online for $30 for both. I always get these done ala carte. I never go in and ask for a 10, 20 or 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. You'll be paying for a lot of stuff you don't need. My estimated maintenance cost is $415 every 30,000 miles for both our ES300h and RX450h.
Old 08-23-19, 06:25 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Every 10,000 miles oil change. Every 30,000 miles brake fluid change. At 105,000 miles antifreeze flush and then every 50,000 miles. I changed my cabin and air filters once a year. Takes less than 5 minutes. Buy both online for $30 for both. I always get these done ala carte. I never go in and ask for a 10, 20 or 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. You'll be paying for a lot of stuff you don't need. My estimated maintenance cost is $415 every 30,000 miles for both our ES300h and RX450h.
ok cool thanks what about belt is this a timing belt or chain
and what about serpentine belt every 90k ?
spark plugs for tune-up ?
Old 08-23-19, 06:41 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

It is a chain. Never needs maintenance. Plugs are replaced at 120,000 miles. Something I did and was so glad replaced courtesy lights with LED's. Can not remember which ones came without LED's. I think it was the trunk and side lower doors. They are easy to replace. Use a putty knife to pry out gently the plastic housing where the bulbs are located. These are the bulbs I used: SYLVANIA - 194 T10 W5W ZEVO LED White Bulb - Bright LED Bulb.

For the two in the front doors I used these. Which ever ghost lights you get make sure they are 5 watts. Anything less is not bright enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Projector-Shadow-Lights-Welcome/dp/B07NP7R6GS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=lexus+ghost+lights&qid=1566610761&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUVdEUkhLR1dTRFJLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjkyNTc3MzhGOTBRVEk3RlNaTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTcyOTIzMUpVUlJMMlhOWkNKQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=#customerReviews https://www.amazon.com/Light-Projector-Shadow-Lights-Welcome/dp/B07NP7R6GS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=lexus+ghost+lights&qid=1566610761&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUVdEUkhLR1dTRFJLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjkyNTc3MzhGOTBRVEk3RlNaTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTcyOTIzMUpVUlJMMlhOWkNKQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=#customerReviews
Old 08-23-19, 06:46 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
ok cool thanks what about belt is this a timing belt or chain
and what about serpentine belt every 90k ?
spark plugs for tune-up ?
Something else I got for both our ES and RX. Items I hardly ever use go under the tray. Still easy access.

https://www.amazon.com/Salusy-Console-Armrest-Secondary-Storage/dp/B06X9BFMLP/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=lexus+es+storage+tray&qid=1566611069&s=gateway&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/Salusy-Console-Armrest-Secondary-Storage/dp/B06X9BFMLP/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=lexus+es+storage+tray&qid=1566611069&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Old 08-23-19, 07:58 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Here’s a link to the 2013 maintenance. I bookmarked it on my phone and I believe you can get this stuff from the Lexus website.

https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY...00h_WSG_lr.pdf
Old 08-24-19, 12:32 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Something else I got for both our ES and RX. Items I hardly ever use go under the tray. Still easy access.

https://www.amazon.com/Salusy-Consol...gateway&sr=8-1
this tray looks good i like it so i just need to liftit up every time i need to get to stuff under neath it ?
i wish that they put sunglasses or eye glass compartmentin our car i have a pair of sunglasses that are Tag huer reflex but they are spring load material but not foldable so they are titanium spring load so they fold in and have to be kept in a case that takes up about half the armrest or glove box lol
Old 08-24-19, 12:37 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

now something that im a bit confused about
do we have to motors one hyrbid electrick and then the 4cylinder gas 2.5 turbo charged ? or is it all in one
or is the elextric motor for the hybrid what the inverter is ?

like im trying to figure out so i know exactly what the warranty is that i have on the hybrid part of the components i know it says 8 year 100k but i think i read somehwere that its not every hybrid component and some only has the 8 year 80k or 7 year 80k i think
so im wondering is the elextric or hybrid motor seprate from the engine and is that motor and trans special or does the generator or inveter just help to operate the fuel engine and there are really no elextric parts of that just the hyrbid battery ?
i hope you can understand what im asking cause this is just very confusing even for myself
Old 08-24-19, 02:29 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 92 Posts

Well since you asked, I have over 40 years working on all types of cars and aircraft. I also have several years of experience performing oil analysis. I have attended some of the best schools studying oil analysis, spectrometer operation and trend analysis. I will put my experience and knowledge of engines, transmissions and lubricating fluids up against your service managers any day. I would be willing to bet he has never had a transmission apart if he recommends to never change the fluid.

The CVT transmission is a very different animal, and I have not rebuilt one. I would definitely change the fluid on it though.

I have seen you post this comment about the 6 speed behind the 3.5 as well. The Toyota/Lexus 6 speed transmission is fundamentally the same as all other automatic transmissions. In my humble opinion, Toyota and other manufactures are sticking to the company line; Increased service intervals means less $$ in cost of ownership and a reduction on the environmental impact. Lifetime fluid is right on the shelf next to unicorn food and pixie dust.

Also, if someone is putting in the wrong fluid or servicing it to the wrong level they have no business doing it. So is Lexus saying that they are not trained well enough so lets just not do it? That statement could be used to justify not changing your oil also.

I am not attempting to be argumentative or disrespectful. I really have no concern whether you ever change your fluid. I am concerned that people will follow the advice of some service manager who possibly has never worked on a car.

Again, just my humble opinion. Hopefully worth the price paid.

Last edited by rmak; 09-02-19 at 02:53 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by rmak:
12jimmyjam (08-24-19), jjchicago (07-29-20), RogueXI (08-26-19), zes (08-24-19)
Old 08-24-19, 12:12 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

now something that im a bit confused about
do we have to motors one hyrbid electrick and then the 4cylinder gas 2.5 turbo charged ? or is it all in one
or is the elextric motor for the hybrid what the inverter is ?

like im trying to figure out so i know exactly what the warranty is that i have on the hybrid part of the components i know it says 8 year 100k but i think i read somehwere that its not every hybrid component and some only has the 8 year 80k or 7 year 80k i think
so im wondering is the elextric or hybrid motor seprate from the engine and is that motor and trans special or does the generator or inveter just help to operate the fuel engine and there are really no elextric parts of that just the hyrbid battery ?
i hope you can understand what im asking cause this is just very confusing even for myself
The ES300h does not have a turbo.The inverter controls the electric power to the car and drive motor.
Old 08-26-19, 11:47 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

so you are explaining that the inverter converter is the electric EV motor and that is not part of the regular engine that is the 4 cylinder motor the vehicle has correct?
so one does not have anything to do with the other there are no hybrid electric parts on the 2.5 4cylinder gas engine that the vehicle has ? is that correct? if i am understanding correctly? its just that when the inveter kicks on the computer tells the car to shut down the gas engine ?
Old 08-28-19, 09:09 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

so you are explaining that the inverter converter is the electric EV motor and that is not part of the regular engine that is the 4 cylinder motor the vehicle has correct?
so one does not have anything to do with the other there are no hybrid electric parts on the 2.5 4cylinder gas engine that the vehicle has ? is that correct? if i am understanding correctly? its just that when the inveter kicks on the computer tells the car to shut down the gas engine ?
The inverter is a seperate part and is seen on the right side when you open the hood, it has Orange wire bundles connected to it. It has no control of the gasoline engine. It is a electric power device that controls the electrical power from the traction batteries to the drive motor and other electrical devices in the car. The inverter retails for over $5,000.

Old 08-28-19, 10:08 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

Thumper, put this phrase “toyota hybrid cvt transmission” into the YouTube search window. Lots of good explanations there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES300h Maitiance schedule questions