Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300H Sunglass Holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 03:21 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
But they went from not having sunglass holders to having sunglass holders to not having sunglass holders...had a glove box all along.

I don't see how it saves any cost, and since they retained the compass mirror in cars without the navigation system I don't see that as the reason.
It's like a Macbook, first they have a backlit keyboard, then they take it away, then they add it back and call it a "new feature!"
Old 01-01-13, 05:11 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the new redesigned models, the '13 GS and ES, there is no sunglasses holder. In my '13LS and LX, both have the sunglasses holder, it is one of the car options that I use almost daily, as I drive to work early in the morning heading east!
Old 02-05-13, 10:28 AM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Default sunglass holder and compass....

Moved in from the world of Toyota and was surprised to not see this in the ES 300h. a little peeved as I am habituated to these two features.....so, need to get a decent aftermarket product for the sunglass holder....have you all seen any?
Old 02-05-13, 12:29 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I use the cup holder since it has 2. I have also used the top tray in the center armrest for my sunglasses..
Old 02-05-13, 01:36 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jollick, I started using the cup holder last week for my sun glasses, LOL! It actually is quite convenient and I find it works better than the typical sun glass holder.
Old 02-05-13, 01:37 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do the same and use my cup holder and center armrest, although its not as convenient. The glasses in the cup holder rattles and the sunglasses in the armrest isn't easy to get to while driving.
Old 02-10-13, 02:13 PM
UTAS
Driver

I learned on another forum that since Lexus Enform was introduced on newer models, the sunglass holder went away, and the Enform circuitry replaced that holder area.

I missed it initially, but have found that a simple cellphone mat (various kinds are available) placed just atop the dash to the left makes for a convenient location for anyone's sunglasses. The glasses won't slip or slide and no holder is required. A simple fix and I find it more convenient than before. FYI
Old 02-10-13, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Thats a cop out. My 2010 ES had enform, the SOS button, and had a sunglass holder.

I shouldn't have to use a cellphone mount on my dashboard to hold my sunglasses in a luxury car!
Old 02-10-13, 03:20 PM
UTAS
Driver

Chuckles.
So one makes do with whatever. A simple pad on the dash, because the sunglass holder is not there.
Sounds like you want a guarantee. If so, buy a toaster.
Old 02-10-13, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't want an ugly cellphone pad on the dash of my beautiful Lexus. Same way I don't want a stuck on GPS. Deleting the sunglass holder was just stupid, and senseless. Its the same way on the new GS. Its not a Kia, its a Lexus. The cost cutting BS on the ES drives me nuts, and the explanations that make no sense drive me nuts too.

Obviously, now we all have to deal with I'm not going to excuse them for doing it and just say "Eh, I'll just stick it on the dash!"

I think its more likely the reason they deleted it is LKA, the sensor is up at the top of the windshield in that area. They didn't want the cost of developing two consoles, one for cars with LKA and one for cars without. That explains the GS, but not the ES which doesn't offer LKA.
Old 02-10-13, 04:10 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I
I think its more likely the reason they deleted it is LKA, the sensor is up at the top of the windshield in that area. They didn't want the cost of developing two consoles, one for cars with LKA and one for cars without. That explains the GS, but not the ES which doesn't offer LKA.
LDA also has a camera up there. My 2010 HS had both the sunglass holder and LKA/LDA. LKA/LDA are basically the same but LDA does not nudge the wheel.

Here is what the Canada build your Lexus site has to offer:

TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE $9,300.00
15 Speakers • Mark Levinson Audio • 8" display screen • Dynamic Radar Cruise Control • Clearance and Backup Sensors • Rear door sunshade • Power Rear Window Sunshade • Convenience Items: Automatic Powered Opening Trunk • Easy Close Trunk • Premium Illuminated Entry System • Auto-leveling HID Headlamps • Automatic High Beam Feature • Safety: Advanced Pre Collision System • Blind Spot Monitor • Lane Change Assist • Rear Cross Traffic Alert • Lane Departure Alert • Heated Wood Steering Wheel • Premium Leather Seat Surfaces • Heated & Ventilated Front Seats • Passenger Seat Memory • Woodgrain Trim • Rain Sensing Wipers.

Looks like they get both the LKA and LDA like my HS had.
Old 02-10-13, 04:14 PM
danolo
Driver School Candidate

Is "LKA" Lane Keeping Assist, and is this different from "LDA"? I thought ES300h has "Lane Departure Alert".
Old 02-10-13, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jollick
LDA also has a camera up there. My 2010 HS had both the sunglass holder and LKA/LDA. LKA/LDA are basically the same but LDA does not nudge the wheel.
Could still be that the roof/windshield profile of the ES and GS don;t allow enough room for a sunglass holder compared to the HS...

Has to be some reason, its such a small part I don't buy cost cutting...

Originally Posted by danolo
s "LKA" Lane Keeping Assist, and is this different from "LDA"? I thought ES300h has "Lane Departure Alert".
Like jollick said, the LKA will nudge the steering wheel to keep you within the lines, while the LDA just warns you about drifting out of them.
Old 02-11-13, 10:53 AM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses on the sunglass holder and compass!....Yes, this is going to be a shortcoming for sure and I will need to make workarounds....the cup holders will not do for me as I will be using them for their intended purpose. And you guys are right, the phone will rattle in the cup-holder too!

What would be neat is an after market soft leather / vinyl case, that is color coordinated that I can stick (more like velcro) to the left wall of the gear shifter case (i.e. which will be to the right of my right knee (when seated)).

Wish there were something like that...This will be easy to keep the sun-glass in and access when needed.
Old 02-11-13, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had a nice grey leather sunglasses case that slid over the sun visor years ago on my Explorer. I've looked around, nobody seems to make anything like that anymore...

Quick Reply: ES300H Sunglass Holder