ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Precollision Control System experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 12:23 PM
CurryPot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precollision Control System experiences

It's a $1500 feature that I really didn't want but ended up getting because of the limited choice at the time. I've been using the radar cruise control and it's great. But not $1500 great. Yesterday I changed my mind.

Leaving work and heading home, I hadn't noticed the car in front of me had stopped, due in part to his brake lights not working. I was doing the speed limit of 45 MPH and the ES300h started beeping at me,the information area to the left of the speedometer started flashing red. I instinctively hit the brakes. ABS was not activated and the seat belts did not tighten - but I did stop in plenty of time.

PCS works. My insurance deductible is $1000, so I now see this as only a $500 option.

I have a totally clean drivers license and no accidents in the last 24 years. I consider myself a very careful and considerate driver. It was a reminder that no matter how careful you are, $#it happens.

Have you triggered the PCS? I hope not - seriously.
Old 12-11-12, 12:51 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not but ordered my vehicle specifically for this safety feature. And just replaced a 2nd vehicle (my wife's) with a used Lexus with the advanced system. I hope we never need it in either vehicle but am thrilled to have it and feel much safer with it. More manufacturers are starting to offer this option. Like airbags, this feature may be standard equipment for all cards in the future and possibly save thousands of lives each year. Glad you were not hurt!

There was a major accident about 3 miles from my home over the weekend that took the life of one driver and injured 3 others. Had the car of the driver that ran the light had the pre-collision system, I am positive that the innocent driver who got T-boned (likely at a speed well in excess of 50mph) would be alive today.

Last edited by ElliotB; 12-11-12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 03:24 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CurryPot
...I was doing the speed limit of 45 MPH and the ES300h started beeping at me,the information area to the left of the speedometer started flashing red. I instinctively hit the brakes. ABS was not activated and the seat belts did not tighten - but I did stop in plenty of time. ...
Have you triggered the PCS? I hope not - seriously.
Based on what you said and what I've read in the manual-- that was Stage 1 of the system. Once your belts retract and the car applies brakes to try to lessen the impact, the system is pretty much convinced the collision is unavoidable.

Also from how I read it in the manual, the seatbelt pretensioners are a one-shot deal. Like airbags, they'll have to be replaced completely once triggered. (dash lights will come on for the PCS)
Old 12-24-12, 09:17 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Also from how I read it in the manual, the seatbelt pretensioners are a one-shot deal. Like airbags, they'll have to be replaced completely once triggered. (dash lights will come on for the PCS)
I don't think this is true. I had a close call and the seatbelts whirred and pulled in the slack, no crash, and they went back to normal just fine.
Old 12-24-12, 02:43 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I concur , the pretensioners have kicked in for me many times on my Camry hybrid, as a result of driving in Chicago rush hour traffic :P