ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-12, 03:22 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keyless Entry

I'm not sure what would dilemma be on the logic of the keyless entry.

We were coming out of the grocery and I was carrying my son, my wife is loading the grocery on the trunk and I wasn't able to open any doors. Thinking the key holder is already next to the vehicle anyone would be able to open the door. So I ask my wife to come near me so I can open the door. What's up with that?

So what if it's pouring rain and your passenger can get it would you unlocking all the doors. When the driver ran to the car you grab the drivers door handle and it would open only on that door. Then passenger would be getting wet while you still struggling to unlock.

Last edited by ALIGN; 11-10-12 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-10-12, 03:44 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those can be changed with the personalized settings
Old 11-10-12, 03:50 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Really? How do you do that?

It seem like the key has to be in front of that (specific) door to get it open. I'm sure Lexus have their reason for doing this. According to the dealership, it is for security reason so that nobody would jump in the car without the drivers permission. I guess I just have to live with it.
Old 11-10-12, 04:26 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALIGN
Really? How do you do that?

It seem like the key has to be in front of that (specific) door to get it open. I'm sure Lexus have their reason for doing this. According to the dealership, it is for security reason so that nobody would jump in the car without the drivers permission. I guess I just have to live with it.
If you have the navigation system it can be changed by changing your personalized settings. Here's the link: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/ES_with_nav_LPS.pdf

I have mine set to open all the doors at once. It's setting #7. While it's not made clear in the instructions, if you have the system set to open all doors at once it will work not only with the key fob, but also with Smart Access (touching the door handle), providing you haven't changed setting #8.
Old 11-11-12, 06:39 AM
LexVince
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the fob nearby, touching the driver's door handle opens only the driver's door, but touching the read door handle opens all the doors. I believe that this is the default setting as I've not made any adjustments.
Old 12-25-12, 02:19 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Q: is it possible to either disable the keyless entry or lock the car with the smart key in it?

reason, I do some boating and diving, and leave my key in the car (expedition) and use the key pad to re-enter.

I'd like to leave the smart key (battery) and take just the metal key or hide it under the car... so I can get back in if I loose everything on the water... - lessons learned.
Old 12-25-12, 08:40 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I had Fords for 20-30 years and you are the first person I have known that used the Ford keypad and for your purpose that is a very good use. I often needed to leave the car either running or locked but always just carried a second key out of habit. As for the smart key I don't think you can lock the car with the smartkey inside other than by using a second smartkey so you would be left with hiding the smartkey under the car which would not be a good idea. My wife and I both carry our keys with us and on occassion she wants to leave her key or purse in the car and I have to use my key fob rather than the door button to lock the car. And I think when I have locked the car that way I may need to unlock the door with the key fob when we return.

As for the original question you can change which doors open along with the driver's door but after thinking a bit I decided that the Lexus engineers in their wisdon are correct and it is usually best to just have the door nearest the smartkey holder open so no one can jump into the car with you. I have gotten into the habit of touching the rear door button as I approach the car to open all doors if others are with me.

Also for those running ahead on rainy days I just use the smartkey to open the doors before they get to the car.

Dave Mac
Old 12-25-12, 06:27 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

fwiw, today was my 2nd drive in the car. ~100miles. in daylight.

I left the window down, smart key in the glove box and metal key in my pocket. reached in and locked all doors. then opened with key. (just drivers).

then relocked door with metal key, and it was locked.

need to retest this, but looks like I'll be able to go out on the water with just the metal key and the smart key in the glovebox or trunk.

worst case I figured one of those mylar chips bags would hide the key antenna...

-yes, I didn't actually realize how useful it was (for over a year), until I talked with a f150 owner who road bikes long distances and locked his key in the car when he went for a ride.

still sorting things out...
Old 12-26-12, 12:00 PM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALIGN
I'm not sure what would dilemma be on the logic of the keyless entry.

We were coming out of the grocery and I was carrying my son, my wife is loading the grocery on the trunk and I wasn't able to open any doors. Thinking the key holder is already next to the vehicle anyone would be able to open the door. So I ask my wife to come near me so I can open the door. What's up with that?

So what if it's pouring rain and your passenger can get it would you unlocking all the doors. When the driver ran to the car you grab the drivers door handle and it would open only on that door. Then passenger would be getting wet while you still struggling to unlock.
This cannot be possible. The fob needs to be by a door entering the cab. Let's say you are loading lots of packages in the trunk whats to say some idiot is not walking by your car door and decides to jump in the drivers side while your distracted in the trunk hit the button and drive off?

*Sorry just realized this thread is a month old *.
Old 01-01-13, 06:57 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

does anyone know if the older lexus (or toyota) smart keys can be programmed (by owner)

tons of them on ebay... (around $60) the new style is over $200.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...exus+smart+key

new style (ouch!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEXUS-RE...2300ab&vxp=mtr
Old 01-01-13, 07:20 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

---and will these procedures work on the new model key?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-included.html
Old 01-02-13, 11:44 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

thanks, Davemac,

my fall back plan, would be to put the smartkey in a mylar chip bag. (the silver lined ones...) I think they will stop RF signals...

I'd like to get a spare smartkey.... anyone know if the old models would work?
Old 01-02-13, 12:11 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

i don't think the old smartkekys will work with the 2013 cars - but of course I haven't tried it.

Dave Mac
Old 01-03-13, 01:34 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Does programming a new smartkey have the same procedure when your current key loses batter power? If so, that would be so easy to steal this car if someone from a car wash or valet can simply program his spare smartkey and then follow were you live or work.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-03-13, 03:03 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

No, I think the smartkey system is much more secure than that. I believe it requires the presence of a working smart key and the Lexus diagnostic tool. If there is no remaining smartkey I think the process becomes much more difficult.

Dave Mac