ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES Sales and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Im interested that the PSI on the door jamb is 33. The PSI on the door jamb of my 2010 is 30. Same tire and wheel size...

Try deflating them to 30 and see what difference that makes...

Can anybody post the door jamb sticker on a 2013? I bet 33 is for the 18s, and the 17s are 30. Or even if its not, my ES rides hard with pressures at 33. 2013 owners with 17s who arent happy with the ride, try 30 and report back.
Old 11-02-12, 10:53 AM
Gtgrad95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Im interested that the PSI on the door jamb is 33. The PSI on the door jamb of my 2010 is 30. Same tire and wheel size...

Can anybody post the door jamb sticker on a 2013? I bet 33 is for the 18s, and the 17s are 30. Or even if its not, my ES rides hard with pressures at 33. 2013 owners with 17s who arent happy with the ride, try 30 and report back.
I'll check again after work and report back, but I'm pretty sure it says 33 and I have the 17''.
Old 11-02-12, 11:52 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

2013 ES300h on door jam is 33 PSI for 17"
Old 11-02-12, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, that must be to increase fuel economy.

Try airing them down to 30 and see if that helps your ride...
Old 11-02-12, 07:50 PM
sdloeffler
Driver School Candidate

My doorjamb says 33 psi for my 18's.

@Gtgrad95 - I've driven multiple cars with the 17's and they ride great... especially compared to my car with 18's. What is is about the ride you don't like? Is it stiffness or something else? The stiffness on the 18's doesn't bother me. it's the road feel coming up through the bottom of the car and the road noise on the highways. I also live in Atlanta and there are portions of 285 and 75 I hate to ride on because of the feel I get off the road. My dealer is actually talking to me about going down to the 17 ten spoke with Michelin's. Now you have me wondering????
Old 11-02-12, 08:42 PM
On3racing
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the hi-jacking your thread op.

Originally Posted by Gtgrad95
To also add, I waited almost a year for the 2013 to come out. I have a bad back and have had surgery on my tailbone so I wanted a car that felt like it floated on water, but still felt luxurious (which is why i didn't want a Camry). I liked the way the 2012 rode, but the dash was hideous and had none of technology (Apps, Bluetooth audio, etc.) that I wanted in a car. I was coming from a 2005 Acura TL that rode extremely rough due to a tight suspension and basically killed my back especially on terrible Atlanta roads.

When i first looked at the 2013 ES, I was extremely disappointed. The seats felt too firm and the ride was not as smooth in my opinion. I eventually did compromise because i wanted stay Japanese and neither Acura or Infiniti offer plush riding sedans.
If you looking for a plush ride like the old Es. Check out the new 2013 Toyota Avalon. It'll give you that smooth and comfortable ride + the semi luxury you're looking for.

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/avalon/

Last edited by On3racing; 11-02-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 06:40 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by On3racing
Sorry for the hi-jacking your thread op.

If you looking for a plush ride like the old Es. Check out the new 2013 Toyota Avalon. It'll give you that smooth and comfortable ride + the semi luxury you're looking for.
Also sorry for the hi-jacking your thread op, maybe this should be another thread ?

Has anyone test driven the two side by side ?

I did not BUT I would think there would not be a difference, if there was I would think it would not ride as smooth & QUIET as the ES.

Last edited by MY100thcar; 11-03-12 at 06:46 AM. Reason: remove photo & link
Old 11-03-12, 08:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MY100thcar
Also sorry for the hi-jacking your thread op, maybe this should be another thread ?

Has anyone test driven the two side by side ?

I did not BUT I would think there would not be a difference, if there was I would think it would not ride as smooth & QUIET as the ES.
The Avalon just may have the same ride quality.Both are new designs and share the same platform and drivetrain.Also the Avalon is Toyota's flagship model and I'm sure Mr Toyoda wants the Avalon to be a great seller for the non Lexus type Toyota buyer.
The few reviews I've read state the Avalon has a plush quiet ride.

Here's some info on the Avalon.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-stunning.html

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-03-12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 09:46 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Lets hope so and also hope the Avalon has a softer seat than the 2013 ES. Strange situation indeed when Toyota forces middle and older aged people who want a soft ride and soft seats to buy a less expensive Avalon or Camry instead of a Lexus LS or ES.
Old 11-03-12, 12:34 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually, it looks like Toyota engineered a harder ride into the all new Avalon as well:

http://www.autobytel.com/toyota/aval...test-113916/5/
"The suspension, surprisingly, skews a bit more heavily toward sporting than soft...we found the car offered a nice compromise between ride and handling and the ride is certainly still comfortable, just a bit firmer than expected."
Old 11-03-12, 01:27 PM
powermar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was all set on an ES300h, thinking that it would have the same great, comfortable ride as previous generations. This car is used solely to commute to work, and I want to be as comfortable as possible in doing so. I have other vehicles that I use for fun, so I'm just looking for a nice, plush ride to make the miles less miserable.

I'm also wondering if perhaps the Avalon might be the better choice for this, though. I'll have to wait until they become available to see some reviews and take some test drives. The Avalon limited looks pretty nice as well, from the pictures I've seen.

But perhaps the way to go is a used LS460? Good ones are scarce nowadays, but with the release of the new version, I'm expecting to see a lot more become available. If I could pick up a 3-year old one for the mid-to-high $30k range, that still leaves a lot of savings for a warranty or for repairs.
Old 11-03-12, 11:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Strange situation indeed when Toyota forces middle and older aged people who want a soft ride and soft seats to buy a less expensive Avalon or Camry instead of a Lexus LS or ES.
Because they want younger more affluent buyers in their showrooms, people that are going to start out in the ES and IS and move up. They want lower average owner age.

You're not the target consumer anymore.

Originally Posted by powermar
Well, I was all set on an ES300h, thinking that it would have the same great, comfortable ride as previous generations. This car is used solely to commute to work, and I want to be as comfortable as possible in doing so. I have other vehicles that I use for fun, so I'm just looking for a nice, plush ride to make the miles less miserable.
Have you driven the car? Drive it before you pass judgement, because like I said I thought it rode just as well as my 2010.
Old 11-04-12, 05:21 AM
Gtgrad95
Driver School Candidate

Because they want younger more affluent buyers in their showrooms, people that are going to start out in the ES and IS and move up. They want lower average owner age.

I think that is a fallacy on Toyota's part. The younger generation are the very ones who can't even afford a Lexus. There is no way I could've even dreamed about owning a Lexus in my 20s. I'm in my 40s now.

And as I mentioned earlier, the very few 'affluent' young ones there are already have choices with the IS and GS. Why not leave the ES and LS for us folks who want the plusher rides?

Last edited by Gtgrad95; 11-04-12 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-04-12, 06:17 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Have you driven the car? Drive it before you pass judgement, because like I said I thought it rode just as well as my 2010.
Anyone going to test drive the 2013ES make sure the tires are not overinflated as they were when they left JAPAN, some dealers don't ck. If they have over 33PSI the car WILL ride harder!

The only way to compare is to test the 2013ES with a 2012ES or older SIDE by SIDE, not a day or so latter. and make sure the two you test have the same tire pressure!

I am very happy with the ride.
Old 11-04-12, 07:18 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree on the tire pressure, my 1st test drive in a 2013 ES300h had overinflated tires, sometimes they squeak by without the service department changing the pressure. Best bet is to check for yourself if you feel the ride is too harsh.

Quick Reply: ES Sales and concerns