ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What is your experience using the ES "mouse controller"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 05:44 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sigmoid
Just picked up my ES300h today. While going through the exit hooplah with the sales guy - one of the first things he did was adjust the remote controller sensitivity. He did it without even asking, just saying "we gotta set this and you'll see why". After messing with it - it is not as bad as I had thought it was going to be. It has a "sticky" feel to it and putting in an address was not really any harder than punching in the old touchscreen. I actually don't like anyone touching my screen anyway (same with my pc/laptop). I think its going to be OK and certainly lightyears beyond that crappy BMW iDrive !
Did the sales person move it to the left (minus) or to the right (plus) (I believe by going to the right you increase the gravity pull)? Someone on here a while back - I believe he was a Lexus Tech guy - said for best performance move it all the way to the right - does anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old 10-30-12, 05:55 PM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by JerryKK
Did the sales person move it to the left (minus) or to the right (plus) (I believe by going to the right you increase the gravity pull)? Someone on here a while back - I believe he was a Lexus Tech guy - said for best performance move it all the way to the right - does anyone else have an opinion on this?
I moved it one mark to the right (more gravity pull) and found it better.
I liked it there better than all the way to the right.
Old 10-30-12, 06:19 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"...Navigation System and the mouse" The vehicle has Destination Assist which eliminates much of the mouse use.
Old 10-30-12, 07:26 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by ElliotB
"...Navigation System and the mouse" The vehicle has Destination Assist which eliminates much of the mouse use.
I would doubt seriously that many people will pay $250 for this service once the trial subscription runs our.
Old 10-31-12, 12:07 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Safety Connect and Destination Assist are free for the 1st year.

Subscription rates are:

Safety Connect is $140.

Safety Connect with Destination Assist is $260.

One of the big reasons I bought the ES350 over other vehicles is for the numerous advanced safety features including the Safety Connect feature which I consider essential. I have also kept Destination Assist because I also consider it an essential safety feature. Like many, I did tend to program my old GPS while driving which can be quite dangerous. I am sure I am not the only one gladly paying for this feature. I am also sure not everyone buys it.

Complete pricing info is here:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...bscriptions.do

Last edited by ElliotB; 11-02-12 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 08:22 AM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

Re: Did the sales person move it to the left (minus) or to the right (plus)

The sales person moved it to the right (plus) which seemed backwards to me at the time, was expecting it to set like a computer mouse with decreased sensitivity - but yes its exactly a firmer gravity pull feel
Old 10-31-12, 08:25 AM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryKK
I would doubt seriously that many people will pay $250 for this service once the trial subscription runs our.
Yes, I tried it out during my exit training - called Destination assist - and the person came on - after what seemed to be a series of call forwarding etc - and I was put under immediate pressure to come up with a destination for the person - so I said "I want to go to Starbucks" - and they replied something like "uhh there is one right across the street from you" - kinda funny - but good to test it out.

I could see it coming in handy for a frustrating time when arguing with the wife over directions - but not worth the premium IMHO - we'll see.
Old 11-01-12, 07:48 PM
chrisk008
Driver School Candidate

9 days in and mouse getting more intuitive every day. Yes the increase in pull was a big help. Navigating now with just little glances, not needing to study it anymore.

Direction assist is huge for me. If you are paying $2000 plus for the nav system one would think you would be using it. I have had flawless experiences with the operator every time I have called. To be able to do it on the fly has been invaluable. Why anyone would want to program manually and only have the capability to do it while stopped is beyond me.

Again, IMHO
Old 11-02-12, 03:09 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

I don't think those features are available in Canada, so for us the decision is an easy one. But you know what, for those rare occasions where I have to program a destination while en route, I have had no problem whatsoever doing so via the voice commands. Even if I have to repeat a command once or twice, I can usually get through with ease well under a minute or so. Of course, eAssist and Destination Assist no doubt offer other value added features. As for programming per se while en route, I'm happy with the voice command functionality; it works well for me.