ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Toyota made in Indiana better quality than Lexus made in Miyawaka, Japan

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 08:52 PM
Tedster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota made in Indiana better quality than Lexus made in Miyawaka, Japan

Purchased a brand new 2013 Lexus ES 300h and observed buckling in the stitching of the leather in the passenger side. Very disappointng. My 2012 Toyota, made in Indiana, which I purchased five months ago has smooth seamless stitching on the passenger side leather seat. Don't know if Lexus is rushing the ramping up of production in Miyawaka, Japan or are the quality assurance inspections slipping.
First three photos are of the Lexus ES 300h and the bottom two are of the 2012 Toyota Highlander.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota made in Indiana better quality than Lexus made in Miyawaka, Japan-lexus-back.jpg   Toyota made in Indiana better quality than Lexus made in Miyawaka, Japan-lexus-side-left.jpg   Toyota made in Indiana better quality than Lexus made in Miyawaka, Japan-lexus-side-right.jpg   Toyota made in Indiana better quality than Lexus made in Miyawaka, Japan-highlander-back.jpg   Toyota made in Indiana better quality than Lexus made in Miyawaka, Japan-highlander-side.jpg  

Old 11-07-12, 09:50 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Did u bring it up to the dealership when u got the car? I wouldn't have noticed anything was wrong until u posted the Toyota pics.

Would perforated leather vs non perforated have anything to do with it ?

i tried doing a google image search but all i see are stock photos or "real life" shots of the exterior.

perhaps other people would post pics of their seats.....

Last edited by uicandrew; 11-07-12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-08-12, 12:29 AM
JerryKK
Driver

After reading this post I went out to my car and noticed I have the same problem (if it is a problem). I am going to contact my dealership tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.
Old 11-08-12, 05:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Toyota is considering moving ES production from Japan to their Ky plant. It would be built alongside the Camry and Avalon. No surprise there, I'm sure the quality would be good. Honda/Acura has been doing it for a long time with good results.

Given the choice though I'd prefer a Japanese built ES.
Old 11-08-12, 05:50 AM
Tedster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uicandrew
Did u bring it up to the dealership when u got the car? I wouldn't have noticed anything was wrong until u posted the Toyota pics.

Would perforated leather vs non perforated have anything to do with it ?

i tried doing a google image search but all i see are stock photos or "real life" shots of the exterior.

perhaps other people would post pics of their seats.....

Drew,
The Highlander is a limited edition with perforated leather seats. It might have to do with the type of leather they are using. Japan might be importing from Australia while Indiana from the US. Still love my 300h, its buttery smooth acceleration. Its just one of those things that catches your eye. The Highlander's perforated seat is firm and taught with no errors in the stitching.

Thanks Jerry for checking on it, my dealer is quite a distance from my home, so I can't readily visit.
They probably can't do anything about it, but probably notify the manufacturer to step up quality assurance.
Old 11-08-12, 06:14 AM
Tedster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryKK
After reading this post I went out to my car and noticed I have the same problem (if it is a problem). I am going to contact my dealership tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

Jerry,
I got this photo from the is forum, as you can see in this promo photo, the leather is taught and firm, no buckling in the leather seats.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota made in Indiana better quality than Lexus made in Miyawaka, Japan-lexus-interior-lexus-page.jpg  
Old 11-08-12, 06:36 AM
jandkw
Driver School Candidate

Tedster, thanks for pointing out. This is not acceptable to me either. I recalled when we picked up my MDX from my Acura dealer years ago, my wife complained about the "buckling" in the back seat which was clearly poor workmanship. I took it back to the dealer, they then have their local shop replaced the leather for us (as a matter of fact, they did it twice to make it right). Turn around time was two days. I suspect your Lexus dealer can do the same for you.
Old 11-08-12, 06:59 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Toyota is considering moving ES production from Japan to their Ky plant. It would be built alongside the Camry and Avalon. No surprise there, I'm sure the quality would be good. Honda/Acura has been doing it for a long time with good results.

Given the choice though I'd prefer a Japanese built ES.
It maybe sad to say but I agree 100%.

I know this does not mean much but...

I had a Japanese built 2007 ES350 for 5yrs. & no problems.
I had a NON Japanese built 2013 RX350 for 3 months when it started a engine oil leak. After 4 times trying to fix it the dealer could NOT.
4 times was more than enough for me ( that is a lemon by the book ) I traded it for my ES300h.
I know after the first try the next 2 or 3 could be the dealers fault not the cars.
Old 11-08-12, 09:49 AM
bobraynard
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Es300h is not suffering from this "problem"