ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Remote Starter Range

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 03:33 AM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote Starter Range

Just had the Lexus Remote Starter installed in my ES 350 yesterday (yes, I did enjoy my free breakfast for those of you who have been following my Enform vs Entune thread). However, I'm really disappointed in the range. I literally have to be standing outside my front door for the thing to work. You have to press the lock button three times to make it work, holding it down for several seconds the third time. The "lock" feature works from inside the house (I can see the lights flash), but the remote starter doesn't work until I'm very close to the car (within 20 feet) and outside the front door. The whole purpose of the remote starter is so I wouldn't have to go outside to start the car on a cold day. Kind of defeats the purpose, eh?

Anyone else have a similar experience with a Lexus remote starter (even on a different model)? Is there any way to increase the range?
Old 09-15-12, 06:31 AM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jetman, how much did you pay for the starter at your lexus dealer? I see you're from NY, mind sharing the dealer's name?

Also, did you install it on the '13 es?
Old 09-17-12, 04:04 PM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by kogutr
Hi Jetman, how much did you pay for the starter at your lexus dealer? I see you're from NY, mind sharing the dealer's name?

Also, did you install it on the '13 es?
I believe it was a little over $500 installed at Northtown Lexus in Amherst, NY (near Buffalo). I had the cost of the starter built into the purchase price. They had to order the remote starter. I had installed about a week and a half after I took delivery of the car.
Old 09-17-12, 04:41 PM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

My dealer in NJ is offering the OEM remote starter for the '13 ES 350 for $340 + tax installed. My wife and I are interested but I'm a bit skeptical at the short range. Knowing what you know now, would you do it?
Old 09-17-12, 04:44 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

On other Toyota part remote installs,the car shuts down when stepping on the brake which is annoying.
Does that happen with the Smart Start too?
Old 09-17-12, 04:56 PM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

I read that the ES shuts down when any of the doors are open. I can live with that but if the range is very short, it's practically useless. Hoping other remote starter owners can chime in....
Old 09-17-12, 05:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I read that the ES shuts down when any of the doors are open. I can live with that but if the range is very short, it's practically useless. Hoping other remote starter owners can chime in....

Ok,this may sound silly but I've read if you place the remote under your chin and press the button,your body helps extend the range.
I don't know if this is a myth but I've read it a few times.
Old 09-17-12, 06:18 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

i've had after market remote starters on 2 previous ES vehicles both 2011. it was from the Lexus catalog,,, loved it,,, it had very good range and didn't shut off until i got in the car and touched something. i have a factory remote starter in my 2013 GS350 F Sport that was already in the car (port installed) and the range sucks. i can start the car from in the house,,, i can even unlock it from pretty far but 85/90% of the time it won't start from a far distance. so yeah,,, the factory remote sucks.
Old 09-18-12, 04:54 PM
jetman
Driver

My dealer in NJ is offering the OEM remote starter for the '13 ES 350 for $340 + tax installed. My wife and I are interested but I'm a bit skeptical at the short range. Knowing what you know now, would you do it?
You're getting a great deal but, knowing what I know now, I probably would've gone with an aftermarket starter. I liked the idea of not having to put a second remote on my key ring (the Lexus remote start works with the factory key fob), but the short range is a killer, IMHO. I naively thought the OEM starter would be very good, but I was wrong. I've had remote starters on my vehicles for a good number of years (both OEM and aftermarket) and the Lexus OEM starter has the worst range of any of them.
Old 09-18-12, 04:56 PM
jetman
Driver

The engine does shut down as soon as you open any door. First time I've ever seen that in any vehicle I've had with a remote starter. Not a deal-breaker, but the short range probably is.
Old 09-18-12, 04:59 PM
jetman
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Ok,this may sound silly but I've read if you place the remote under your chin and press the button,your body helps extend the range.
I don't know if this is a myth but I've read it a few times.
Just tried it from my kitchen window. Car is about 20 feet away. Didn't work for me...
Old 09-18-12, 06:09 PM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

Jetman, when you clicked on the lock (or unlock button - not sure which activates the starter after 3 clicks) from kitchen window, 20 feet away, did the car at least acknowledge the lock (or unlock) command upon first click or second click?
Old 09-18-12, 06:28 PM
jetman
Driver

Jetman, when you clicked on the lock (or unlock button - not sure which activates the starter after 3 clicks) from kitchen window, 20 feet away, did the car at least acknowledge the lock (or unlock) command upon first click or second click?
Yes. Upon pressing the lock button the first two times, the lights flash each time, showing that the vehicle received the command and has locked the door. On the third press (which you have to hold for several seconds to engage the remote starter), I only get a single light flash, showing that the car received the lock command. However, I do not get the multi-flash, showing that the command to start the car was received. I need to get much closer to the car for that command to work. I actually have to get outside my front door to be close enough for the remote starter to engage. Kind of defeats the purpose of even having a remote starter...
Old 01-22-13, 01:44 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts
Default Remote starter

I can deal with the range of the remote. However, my dealer wants $700.00 to install a remote starter on my 13 ES350. I would like to know the name of the dealer for $340.00. I'm across the Delaware in PA. Please let me know.
Old 03-29-13, 07:58 AM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

Ray Catena Lexus of Freehold (Freehold, NJ)

Quick Reply: Remote Starter Range