ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pricing Thread - Deals you are getting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 05:20 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mahworld
I tried all of the PA area zip codes, and nothing from truecar. There was one dealer in NW OH, but the discount was terrible. Truecar lists the base msrp and the savings. While I assume the discount would be similar percentage-wise, the info they seem to be providing is skeptical since there are 0 base models represented on all of the OH and PA Lexus dealer websites.

No interest in going to NJ to save a few hundred bucks, though I am in the area often enough to do a deal. Looking for the 5-6k savings I see quoted in CA and other areas vs. 1200 in PA.

What year did you buy and when? I guess 9.5% for a 2014 might be worth it. Did you buy the car and did you have a trade-in?

Thanks for the tip though. I appreciate it.
Just got the car. 2014 premium with NAV.
4K off the 42K list price.
No trade financed 30K of it.

Not the best deal here, but I'm happy with it for this area.
Good Luck!
Old 05-06-14, 01:35 PM
aaTine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 ES350

Msrp: 43,767
Paid: 38,200 +TTL
Old 05-06-14, 07:22 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
Just got the car. 2014 premium with NAV.
4K off the 42K list price.
No trade financed 30K of it.

Not the best deal here, but I'm happy with it for this area.
Good Luck!
Nice job bootman, just don't forget to put on that front license plate so they can issue more tiks - jk on the license plate or tiks, if you can get away with that.
Old 05-07-14, 03:26 PM
rdw90266
Driver School Candidate

$41,500+TTL for a 2014 ES300h with Luxury package (MSRP$46,913) cash sale in Los Angeles area seems to be the best I have found so far . Several have mentioned discounts in the 13% range but 11.5% seems to be the best I can find. Appreciate any direction to a dealer that will do better.
Old 05-13-14, 02:08 PM
ishakir
Driver School Candidate

Default Deals you're getting

Hey guys,

I've been doing a good amount of research via these forums on possibly getting a new ES350 with the navigation / premium sound package. The MSRPs are about $44k and after making a few offers of about 12% off of MSRP, I've had no success; it almost seems like my offers are absurd judging by the way some of these Chicago area dealers have responded.

What do you all suggest? I really appreciate any input!
Old 05-13-14, 02:48 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ishakir
Hey guys,

I've been doing a good amount of research via these forums on possibly getting a new ES350 with the navigation / premium sound package. The MSRPs are about $44k and after making a few offers of about 12% off of MSRP, I've had no success; it almost seems like my offers are absurd judging by the way some of these Chicago area dealers have responded.

From my own experience and from what I've read in threads like this one, I think that the market in the middle of the country, including Chicago, is a lot less of a buyer's market than are the markets on the coasts.

Thus, I doubt whether you are going to get the kind of pricing in the Chicago area or anywhere else in the general area as are some of the people on the West Coast, East Coast, Florida, Texas, etc.

It should be noted that price related to MSRP by itself is completely meaningless. Unless you are also taking into account finance or lease terms (if applicable), how trade-ins are valued, whether the dealers are able to sell buyers very high mark-up extended warranties and dealer-installed options, including paint protection treatment, interior protection treatment, clear bras, nitrogen tire fills, glass etching, etc., what looks like a great deal for the buyer relative to MSRP could well be a high profit sale for the dealership. If you read the posts in threads like this one, it is clear that there are lots of people who fixate only on the price relative to MSRP. Dealers know that, and that is why they are willing to sell cars well below MSRP and to make their profits on the other items that many car buyers pay little or no attention to. I'm confident that there are many deals in this thread where the buyers got what looked, on the surface, like less favorable deals relative to MSRP, but, when all factors are considered, they got better deals than some who bought their vehicles for bigger discounts from MSRP.

Also, there is a general correlation between markets where there is less discounting from MSRP and markets where used car values hold up better. It makes sense that, if the value of, say, a 2 year old ES is 75% of the new selling price, in those markets where there is heavier discounting of the new vehicles, the trade-in values of those vehicles 2 years down the road are going to be less than they would be in a market where there is less discounting of the new vehicles. Thus, when typical trade-in/resale values are considered in the mix, there isn't as much difference in pricing as would seem to be at first between the markets where there is steep discounting from MSRP and those where there is more modest discounting.
Old 05-13-14, 03:43 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Hey guys,

have you tried truecar.com yet to see what offers are going on in your zip?
You also could just buy out of state but you need to factor in the cost of pick up.
Old 05-14-14, 05:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Hey guys,

Yeah, You need to lower your expectations in this market. I was happy with 7.5% off in March 2013. West coast is where they're able to get 12% + off. Good luck!
Old 05-14-14, 01:43 PM
bgryn1976
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

A lot can depend on the salesman you are dealing with. Try using the internet to shop around. Different states have different costs and some states have distributors like Texas and Florida.
I am not sure but do different states have different invoice amounts?

Overall I think there is about 12% markup in MSRP. If you paying cash you most likely will not get it that cheap. Financing, trade in and others help the proffit you seeing.

Unless you buying a new model or a more expensive car such as the LS you may want to try this approach.

Simply ask them how much do they think is fair over invoice? I am willing for bet most dealers will sell for $500 over invoice all day long. They have doc fee's and others to bring that price back up so they make more then $500 a car. True invoices are hard you can get an idea on the Internet with margins so they don't lie to you. I have found if you are genuniune most dealers have no problem showing you.

I have always been able to get a good deal by using that approach. At the end of the day this is a fair markup for everyone involved. Only bring up the $500 over invoice after you are dealing with back and forth and ready to walk away because once I actually was able to buy a car below invoice by a few thousand. The dealer folded later (Dodge) so that may be why I got such a good deal. It was hard to believe at the time.
Old 05-19-14, 08:24 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Hey guys,

In addition to what someone already said above, try to avoid model with dealer options added on.

Options, for example, such as Clear Bra for $400 are obviously marked way up and even if they knock it down to $200 (that's "50%" off) it's not really that great of a deal.

Nitrogen filled tires, film tinted windows, etc are all high dealer markup items used to pad their profits.

I'd try the online services or maybe even Costco? We bought our mom a RAV4 for her birthday and Costco gave us a better price than dealers in LA, SD and LV.

There is only one BMW dealer and one Lexus dealer in my state, so I've always purchased my cars out of state and had them shipped in.
Old 05-19-14, 11:56 AM
Felixldang
Driver School Candidate

this is a great forum for ppl looking to buy an new ES..

I have a 2011is 350awd.. Love the car and it's power but I'm interested I'm the new es as I got a loaner and was able to drive it for more then a week.. Love the ride and feel of it. Smooth yet very refined..

Now I was curious to see what my trade in would be. So I looked up kbb. For my car 32k miles fully loaded with nav. 28-30k for trade-in (good condition)

I figure for that price I would trade in for the new es..

As I would get the UL package if I would've bought the car..

They offered 24k for my car I felt insulted :/

I like the new model es a lot but still love my is .. And for for that pice of a trade in.. I keep my Lexus ..

Do you guys think that's a fair trade my my car?
Old 05-19-14, 12:25 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Felixldang

I have a 2011is 350awd.. Love the car and it's power but I'm interested I'm the new es as I got a loaner and was able to drive it for more then a week.. Love the ride and feel of it. Smooth yet very refined..

Now I was curious to see what my trade in would be. So I looked up kbb. For my car 32k miles fully loaded with nav. 28-30k for trade-in (good condition)

I like the new model es a lot but still love my is .. And for for that pice of a trade in.. I keep my Lexus ..

Edmonds has trade in for your car as 23K.

You can double check as I don't know all of your options, but honestly they (options) don't add too much to trade in value as you think.

The biggest one would br if you had the optional 19" rims and that would add about 1K to 1.5K more or so.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/is-350/...tyle=101213339

How much were they willing to give you off MSRP for the ES?
Old 05-19-14, 12:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

KBB trade-in prices have generally been much higher than what would be realistic trade-in prices in the real world. In fact, they are closer to what I would expect selling prices to be on a dealer's used car lot. To confirm that, I just checked a couple of dealers to see what they were asking for a used 2011 IS AWD like yours. What I found was that the asking prices for used 2011 IS AWD vehicles with mileage similar to yours were between about $30,000 and $32,000. Note, also, that the vehicles I found were CPO vehicles, which is likely to add a few thousand dollars to the price. And, if they are asking $30,000 to $32,000, I'd expect that I could walk into those dealers and buy those vehicles for at least $3,000 less than they are asking. The KBB price that you quoted seemed high to me for a 2011 IS AWD, and what I found available on the Lexus dealer's used car lots confirmed that.

Originally Posted by bootman
Edmonds has trade in for your car as 23K.

How much were they willing to give you off MSRP for the ES?
The number for Edmonds is much more likely to be close to being where it should be.

And, yes, the trade-in number offered by a dealer is, by itself, quite meaningless without knowing what they are selling you the new car for and without knowing a lot of other factors, such as finance or lease terms for the new vehicle.
Old 05-20-14, 07:56 AM
Felixldang
Driver School Candidate

After the offer they gave me for my car, I was a little insulted and didn't call back to see what I can get the es for. They are calling me but I haven't replied to their email or massages yet.. I can let them wait
Old 05-20-14, 09:57 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

After the offer they gave me for my car, I was a little insulted and didn't call back to see what I can get the es for. They are calling me but I haven't replied to their email or massages yet.. I can let them wait
You can take 13% off the entire MSRP, that is what they can sell if for now with the current Lexus incentives. Your tradein is another factor in the deal, figure out what it is worth and now you know the numbers. Remember if they start adding ad dons to the deal everything changes. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Pricing Thread - Deals you are getting?