ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 09:45 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is at the dealer for 5k service. I mentioned that the already replaced sub still sounds horrible with deep bass and that I reported the issue to Lexus. They told me today that they have ordered a new sub and plan to replace it. I sure hope the come up with a fix...
Old 05-07-13, 03:18 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update, I ended up taking my vehicle in on Saturday to get my vented seat looked at, the dealership called me yesterday the vehichile was done, they replaced the amp with a new one and replace the blown sub. While driving I tried the stereo it was a little better, but the sub was still bottom out, the high now are extremely high with the new amp, I had to eliminate the treble and mid's for it to sound better. I think this new amp reduces the amount of bass to the sub and that is all it does. I feel this is a band aid fix not an actual resolution what a waste of time.
Old 05-07-13, 09:10 AM
JSH
Driver School Candidate

Try this

1. Download Flac or MP3 320 kbps then play in i-phone app. Eqaulizer Pro

2. Adjust EQ and the gain as you like

3. Disable DSP your car

No distortion, great sound and volume even over 60

You can also try RADSONE,Flac player, Capriccio, Denon audio for i-phone.

Last edited by JSH; 05-07-13 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-07-13, 10:54 AM
08WhiteIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Al & Ed's do a lot of high-end cars. But are pricey.
You can go to vengenz motors, dtm, m1 etc
Old 05-07-13, 04:37 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Ok. I spoke to the Lexus lemon law dept.. They spoke to the field tech that was in on a call to Mark Levinson. The Lexus lady told me that Mark Levinson has corrected the distortion in their test. I will get a call from the Lemon law lady when the new amp is available. But she told me the last amp update was a band aid and this one should satisfy us all. What I am guessing is they pushed more bass into the doors and reduced it from the sub without reducing the overall bass in the car. As long as the doors don’t rattle it will be ok with me.

I asked the Lexus lady to guess how long it would be until I can take my car to the dealer to get the new amp. She said 6 weeks give or take.

So there you go. From Lexus themselves.. A fix is on its way in about 6 weeks. I think it will be more like 8.
Old 05-07-13, 05:23 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by Robdog1515
Ok. I spoke to the Lexus lemon law dept.. They spoke to the field tech that was in on a call to Mark Levinson. The Lexus lady told me that Mark Levinson has corrected the distortion in their test. I will get a call from the Lemon law lady when the new amp is available. But she told me the last amp update was a band aid and this one should satisfy us all. What I am guessing is they pushed more bass into the doors and reduced it from the sub without reducing the overall bass in the car. As long as the doors don’t rattle it will be ok with me.

I asked the Lexus lady to guess how long it would be until I can take my car to the dealer to get the new amp. She said 6 weeks give or take.

So there you go. From Lexus themselves.. A fix is on its way in about 6 weeks. I think it will be more like 8.
That is good news Robdog, hopefully it is a fix. Thanks for the update. Do you know who you spoke to at Lexus? I am still surprise they don't replace the sub
Old 05-07-13, 06:04 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Yeah, her name is Kathy Amarez, not sure about the spelling.

yeah, from what I have heard from Lexus corporate after filing the lemon law case and bits and peices from ML it appears they are really trying to get it right. And Kathy told me that Lexus will keep pushing ML until they get it right. She said as long as there are complaints and they are verified, Lexus will come down hard on ML or any vendor to get their product built right. The only thing that sucks is we get left in the dark.

so, now we wait, and hopefully it’s not another failed fix like the last one.
Old 05-08-13, 05:19 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2003 SC430 and the hoop-lau with them was the Mark Levinson Audio system. Mark Levinson wouldn't put their product in a car that wasn't built quiet enough to appreciate the quality of the system.

If you visit the SC forum you will see a boat load of complaints about blown door speakers. I had to replace both my door speaker (which served as the subs for that car). Granted, these cars took a few years to damage the speakers, but in every case the damage was the same. The replacement speakers were Toyota, however, many adapted other brand of speakers being careful to match the electrical spec's. When I replaced mine I thought the speaks seemed cheap in a very complex housing assembly.

The only time I cranked the volume was when the top was down and I believe it was one of those times when I first noticed the blown out, rattly sound. What I'm saying, I guess, it may be cheap speakers attached to a superior system.
Old 05-08-13, 01:59 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only way to truly fix this problem without lowering the output to the sub from the amplifier is to replace the sub itself. How difficult could that be?

Anything else is just a Band-Aid fix.

Last edited by ElliotB; 05-08-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-08-13, 04:53 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by Robdog1515
Yeah, her name is Kathy Amarez, not sure about the spelling.

yeah, from what I have heard from Lexus corporate after filing the lemon law case and bits and peices from ML it appears they are really trying to get it right. And Kathy told me that Lexus will keep pushing ML until they get it right. She said as long as there are complaints and they are verified, Lexus will come down hard on ML or any vendor to get their product built right. The only thing that sucks is we get left in the dark.

so, now we wait, and hopefully it’s not another failed fix like the last one.
Thanks Robdog,
Old 05-08-13, 05:01 PM
Music4ever
Driver

I cannot understand why they are focused only on the amp, and not the sub. I went to another audio shop and they said the same thing the sub cannot take the power.
Old 05-08-13, 05:23 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

My guess is that they may have a way of controlling the output levels easily on the amp, and it is a simple fix just to reduce the output to the subwoofer. Replacing the subwoofer is a much bigger job, probably because a new subwoofer would have to be designed to work properly and fit in that space. And is probably a much more expensive option then just adjusting the output levels.

Last edited by ElliotB; 05-09-13 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-09-13, 06:23 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Looks like Coach1 is on to something just blew one of the door speakers, car is back in the shop. This is unbelievable
Old 05-09-13, 11:51 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Music4ever, you must be listening at volume level 70 or 80! LOL

Since I started listening to my own recorded DVDs, I am actually quite satisfied with the system. I plan on canceling XM which is where I found most of the difficulties. I'm certainly not defending Lexus for this less than Lexus-like system, and want them to fix mine (and will insist on it at some point), but I am enjoying it more. I also now have a passenger in the car with me at all times, so I'm not listening at the very high volume levels I typically would if I was alone.

Frankly, it sounds like you need to upgrade your speakers. And even if the system was working properly, it would probably be a good idea for you to upgrade your speakers.
Old 05-10-13, 03:27 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Music4ever, you must be listening at volume level 70 or 80! LOL

Since I started listening to my own recorded DVDs, I am actually quite satisfied with the system. I plan on canceling XM which is where I found most of the difficulties. I'm certainly not defending Lexus for this less than Lexus-like system, and want them to fix mine (and will insist on it at some point), but I am enjoying it more. I also now have a passenger in the car with me at all times, so I'm not listening at the very high volume levels I typically would if I was alone.

Frankly, it sounds like you need to upgrade your speakers. And even if the system was working properly, it would probably be a good idea for you to upgrade your speakers.
My only concern is Lexus corp. has made it clear if I change anything the warranty is void. I actually got a call from the Lemon Law office yesterday form my application and was given a case number. I explained everything to Amy and how I offer to change the sub or box in the sub to Eliminate the issue and Lexus made it clear if I make the changes the warranty is void. Amy indicated that they will investigate the concerns and needed copies of the invoice and if I can produce a report from a licence shop claiming what I have indicated. Lets see what happened.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?