Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 01:10 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdog1515
To Calm.
I looked up the ML service number and spoke to someone in the car audio dept. the person I spoke to was well aware of the issue in the 2013 es350 and he told me it was a gain issue. I am extremely happy for aircraftMX and I took his story to my dealer as well with the same feedback aircraftmx got at first. The ML service manager I spoke to at Harman sounded very convincing. Calm, the. Reason your dealer doesn't know anything about the ML amp is because the memo has not been sent out yet, I don't know how the process works exactly but the manufacturer sends the update to Lexus and then they notify all the dealers. I was told it would take 3-4 weeks ands its only been two so far. If the amp doesn't fix the problem I will be going down the road aircraftmx went with multiple speaker swap outs till I get lucky.
I took my car in for servicing today. Again, I told the SM that my subwoofer sounds like it's busted...no particular song or radio stations (this was my 4th time telling him this). He noted for the technician to check it out again.

The SM called me this afternoon and told me that he received a memo or TSB from Lexus and/or ML acknowledging a problem with the system. I asked for an ETA on a fix but he couldn't give me a specific date/time. I guess Lexus and/or ML will release the fix soon. So Robdog1515 your source is correct.
Old 02-25-13, 03:40 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ML only makes amps. No such thing as ML sub

Originally Posted by aircraftmx
ElliotB, sorry I haven't been on this site in a while. To answer your question, ever since the dealer installed the correct ML subwoofer the sound system has no distortion. I am extremely happy with it. I leave the bass at +1 the mids at +3 and the highs on +4. I can turn up the volume easily into the high 50's and it stays tight and clean. The problem in my car was not in the head unit or the gain adjustment. It was just the wrong subwoofer installed at the factory. The dealer tried unsuccessfully to convince me there was nothing wrong with the system and said that "this one has more power than your last ML system." When the dealer did replace it the first time the distortion was still there. I wouldn't give in knowing I would have to listen to that horrible distortion for the next three years. Then they realized they ordered and installed a non ML sub. The correct ML sub was the fix and not turning down the gain in the head unit to accomodate the standard subwoofer.
So according to harman service dept. which is the maker of mark levinson components, mark levinson only makes amplifiers. In the ES350 there is no such thing as a ML sub, the speakers are manufactured by a company called premium audio. The ML insignia is only a brand, the speaker is something else. It is possible that a different subwoofer was installed that is not a premium audio speaker that can handle the higher gain, so far I cannot get harman (ML) to tell me this is possible and Lexus is telling me doing that will violate the warranty. I can repeat the distortion at +1 bass on sat channel 53 or 52 whatever the electronic music channel is now a days. Turn the volume up to 40ish and you will hear it. Tight bass is where the weakness really shows.

These ML amplifiers are very high tech. The gain is not set linearly, it is a sloping curve so as the volume is increased the gain is reduced to keep the speaker within its optimal range. I gather the slope needed adjustment for the listeners like us who demand excellence out of a $3,400.00 audio system.

I am heading out of town till the 9th of march, when I get back I am going to immediately contact my dealer. If my dealer still doesn't know of the amp recall I have a contact at harman that asked me to call him if this happens. He asked me to keep his name and number off forums. Sorry guys. I'll post back when I get back.
Old 02-25-13, 08:52 PM
CygnusX1
Driver School Candidate

Is there a difference between the ML stereo in the 13' ES models and the ML in the LS models? I tried my Acura DVD-A demo disc in a new 300h with ML and it just skipped around and refused to play. The disc played fine in a 2007 and 2009 LS460 (although neither one would play the discrete channels, they both converted the audio to stereo which I'm told was fixed in the 2010 model).
I was thinking about buying a new ES but not if it can't handle 5.1 DVD audio.
Old 02-25-13, 09:37 PM
a310pilot
Driver

I can't believe it.

If ML only provided them with a AMP . How does it make this package a premium sound system? AMP only can't provide you the quality... if speakers are some no name brand from china. I bet these speakers aren't even nakamichi ?

So now it all makes sense 850 watt system is not the speakers just the damn AMP...

Reminds of this cake I bought which said ... made with worlds finest chocolate... I took it at face value and after tasting it... I immediately knew chocolate wasn't anything close to finest. Guess what. There is a company called "world finest chocolate" and this cakes used chocolate from them.
Old 02-25-13, 09:45 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by a310pilot
I can't believe it.

If ML only provided them with a AMP . How does it make this package a premium sound system? AMP only can't provide you the quality... if speakers are some no name brand from china. I bet these speakers aren't even nakamichi ?

So now it all makes sense 850 watt system is not the speakers just the damn AMP...

Reminds of this cake I bought which said ... made with worlds finest chocolate... I took it at face value and after tasting it... I immediately knew chocolate wasn't anything close to finest. Guess what. There is a company called "world finest chocolate" and this cakes used chocolate from them.
Like I said in another thread, it's all marketing. I believe the Bose system in my previous car was really just a Bose amp as well. When people hear/see a name brand, the high speaker count, high wattage, they'll be more likely to spend that extra money to upgrade.
Old 02-25-13, 10:03 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Conniving.

I can get much better speakers like JBL for less than ML (generic speakers) but I think then they won't match the AMP since they have fine tuned the AMP for these particular speakers.

So might have to swap all of it out.

Even when these car manufacturers put logo on the speaker grills. you can't trust em huh?

Last edited by a310pilot; 02-26-13 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-25-13, 10:31 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to believe ML doesn't match their electronics to the speakers. Aside from possible clipping and distortion from the electronics, speakers are the transducers we hear from.
Old 02-25-13, 10:43 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Hard to believe ML doesn't match their electronics to the speakers. Aside from possible clipping and distortion from the electronics, speakers are the transducers we hear from.
Maybe they two companies work together to make it all work.

Off topic, but Samsung produced some of the internal parts of the iPhone, and if you follow the technology world, you'd know they are pretty cut-throat competitors and even sued each other a few times. So, it's pretty common for brands to be mixed together in ways you'd never imagine.
Old 02-25-13, 10:59 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

True, these companies are partners one day, and competitors the next day or on another project. But companies like ML, Bose or JBL tune their system, and speakers are a major part of their system. They put their name and rep on the line. The speakers may not be manufactured by ML but they should be tuned by them.
Old 02-27-13, 10:25 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Default Eta on ML fix for gain reduction

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
I took my car in for servicing today. Again, I told the SM that my subwoofer sounds like it's busted...no particular song or radio stations (this was my 4th time telling him this). He noted for the technician to check it out again.

The SM called me this afternoon and told me that he received a memo or TSB from Lexus and/or ML acknowledging a problem with the system. I asked for an ETA on a fix but he couldn't give me a specific date/time. I guess Lexus and/or ML will release the fix soon. So Robdog1515 your source is correct.
The new amps are available now for ML. The amps being sent to Japan will not have the gain issue we all experience now. The fact that your lexus dealer has the notice about the issue with the amp is great news.

This is what your dealer needs to do. Assuming the new amps in the ML inventory are fixed this is the part number for the amp.
86280-0WA70

The dealer needs to order a new amp from ML and swap out your current amp. Have the dealer confirm that the revision number associated to the amp of the new one is higher than the one you have. I do not know what this will look like but something like 86280-0WA70.B and your amp is 86280-0WA70.NC. This tells you the new amp is not the same build as the one currently in your car.

Good luck. Please report back with what you find.
Old 03-04-13, 01:40 PM
Churmsk
Driver School Candidate

Default Canadian vs. United States - ML Issue

It is good to hear that Lexus has acknowledged the problem with the system, at least in the United States. Up here in Canada my dealership in Oakville has not heard of the issue. They are asking me to bring the car in for diagnostics. I'm not willing to go through the frustrating process from the very beginning. Can someone post the name of a US dealership that is familiar with the problem? Then I can give them a call and get more details. Even connect the Canadian dealership with the one in the US.

Very frustrating to hear my SM say, "Well, that's in the US. We don't always have the same TSBs." at which point I emphasized that the amp in the US car is the same as the amp in the Canadian one! Grrr....

Anyways, any contact info is appreciated, or better yet, a copy of the TSB.

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 03-07-13, 09:41 AM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdog1515
The new amps are available now for ML. The amps being sent to Japan will not have the gain issue we all experience now. The fact that your lexus dealer has the notice about the issue with the amp is great news.

This is what your dealer needs to do. Assuming the new amps in the ML inventory are fixed this is the part number for the amp.
86280-0WA70

The dealer needs to order a new amp from ML and swap out your current amp. Have the dealer confirm that the revision number associated to the amp of the new one is higher than the one you have. I do not know what this will look like but something like 86280-0WA70.B and your amp is 86280-0WA70.NC. This tells you the new amp is not the same build as the one currently in your car.

Good luck. Please report back with what you find.
The new amp arrived earlier this week and the dealership installed it yesterday. It's too early for me to tell if this fixed the problem but so far no distortion.
Old 03-07-13, 10:03 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new amp arrived earlier this week and the dealership installed it yesterday. It's too early for me to tell if this fixed the problem but so far no distortion.
Appreciate the info and any further updates !
Old 03-09-13, 10:42 AM
Frank1934
Driver School Candidate

Default ML audio

I had the earlier Lexus premium systems. This my first ML. It is brilliant. Once you've heard it you'll never go back
Old 03-11-13, 10:39 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Default Which dealer did you have this fixed at

My dealer does not have the TSiB yet and I am waiting for the ML rep to call me back to help me with my issue. If you could give me the name of your dealer I could have my dealer contact them for the information regarding the amp replacement notice.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?