ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 07:12 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I am waiting for the delivery of a special order ES300h UL with ML. I also own a 2006 GS AWD with ML and feel the sound is excellent.
Old 10-01-12, 11:43 AM
aircraftmx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'll know by Saturday if the new sub fixes the problem. Like I said earlier my 2010 UL ES350 Mark Levinson sounded excellent- clean and tight no matter what genre of music or volume level. Maybe I did just get unlucky with this one. UncleBen the sound in my 2013 falls apart as I increase the volume just past 42. If I remember correctly the system goes up to a max of 62-63. If I turn up the volume to 50 or higher it's like an assault on your ears. The problem was there the day I took delivery 4 weeks ago. I never turned it up all the way or played any bass heavy songs- I did not damage the system as you suggest may be the cause. While listening to 1010 WINS news channel at around 40 on the volume, there are times the sub will break up- no music, just voice. This still happens with the newly installed sub which is a non Mark Levinson component. My first ES350 UL was a 2007 and after the second year that one needed 2 or 3 parts by a NJ dealer to get the sound back to normal. Those speakers literaly came apart. Is that acceptable to you UncleBen? Its not to me- If you order a steak and they bring you a hamburger, only a fool would keep quiet and accept it . I will not accept a defective sound system that sounds good only if I keep the volume under 40. If they cant "FIX" it they will be getting the car back. At least the Brooklyn dealer reluctantly acknowledged the problem and they are trying to correct it. However when I met their Lead Technician (week 3) he said was suprised that his dealership did change the sub the previous week because he said by doing that, they (Lexus) now had admitted there is a problem. I will post again once I get the car back (turning it in this Friday.) If anyone out there has similar sound quality issues with their 2013 ES350 Ultra Luxury please post about it. Good luck on your ES300h UL Jollick!
Old 10-01-12, 12:34 PM
UncleBen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, that's not acceptable, I agree. Hope you get better luck with the next one.
Old 10-01-12, 02:10 PM
kesando
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aircraftmx
I guess I'll know by Saturday if the new sub fixes the problem. Like I said earlier my 2010 UL ES350 Mark Levinson sounded excellent- clean and tight no matter what genre of music or volume level. Maybe I did just get unlucky with this one. UncleBen the sound in my 2013 falls apart as I increase the volume just past 42. If I remember correctly the system goes up to a max of 62-63. If I turn up the volume to 50 or higher it's like an assault on your ears. The problem was there the day I took delivery 4 weeks ago. I never turned it up all the way or played any bass heavy songs- I did not damage the system as you suggest may be the cause. While listening to 1010 WINS news channel at around 40 on the volume, there are times the sub will break up- no music, just voice. This still happens with the newly installed sub which is a non Mark Levinson component. My first ES350 UL was a 2007 and after the second year that one needed 2 or 3 parts by a NJ dealer to get the sound back to normal. Those speakers literaly came apart. Is that acceptable to you UncleBen? Its not to me- If you order a steak and they bring you a hamburger, only a fool would keep quiet and accept it . I will not accept a defective sound system that sounds good only if I keep the volume under 40. If they cant "FIX" it they will be getting the car back. At least the Brooklyn dealer reluctantly acknowledged the problem and they are trying to correct it. However when I met their Lead Technician (week 3) he said was suprised that his dealership did change the sub the previous week because he said by doing that, they (Lexus) now had admitted there is a problem. I will post again once I get the car back (turning it in this Friday.) If anyone out there has similar sound quality issues with their 2013 ES350 Ultra Luxury please post about it. Good luck on your ES300h UL Jollick!
What level do you have the bass set on the stereo? I found that I had to decrease the bass level by two or three clicks below the mid point in order to get distortion free bass at around 50 on the volume dial with most music.
Old 10-01-12, 03:43 PM
aircraftmx
Driver School Candidate

Kesando, I have the bass currently set to -4 clicks, mids and highs at center. This setting sounds unatural but keeps the sub from distorting and bottoming out at 40 thru 50. Since this is a premium sub and not the Mark Levinson I do not want to blow it out before the dealer replaces it with the correct one.
Old 10-02-12, 06:45 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I would of liked the ML stereo, but it was not available in my area at this time.
Old 10-05-12, 08:39 AM
aircraftmx
Driver School Candidate

Default Bass is fixed!

Took my car, 2013 ES350, into the dealer around 8:00am today and had it back by 10:30am. Excellent news- the second subwoofer replacement fixed the distorted bass issue. I am very happy and only wish the dealer had ordered the Mark Levinson sub instead of the premium sub the first time. The sound is terrific!!! I can turn up the volume as high as I want with no problems. Tight clean bass!!!!!
Old 10-05-12, 01:27 PM
jollick
Racer

aircraftmx, that is great news. Congratulations.
Old 10-07-12, 05:47 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The ML system is good but it sounds better in some Lexus models than others.The ML reviews are done mostly in the flagship LS460 where the ML has the best sound quality.
I owned a '08 GS and found the ML to be very disappointing.It's better in my present ES but not nearly as good as ML in a LS..
I have a 2012 LS 460L. The ML sounds terrible. I used to have a 2008 LS 460 and it was much much better. The 2012 LS with ML has absolutely no bass.

Last edited by nsaldanh; 10-07-12 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-07-12, 06:59 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
I have a 2012 LS 460L. The ML sounds terrible. I used to have a 2008 LS 460 and it was much much better. The 2012 LS with ML has absolutely no bass.
Have you complained to the dealer? No bass is not right. The ML in my 06 GS really thumps.
Old 10-08-12, 08:54 AM
aircraftmx
Driver School Candidate

Nsaldanh, if you checked the settings for the bass and they are not turned all the way down your problem is most likely a blown subwoofer. I picked up a brand new ES350 ultra luxury 41/2 weeks ago and the subwoofer was already defective from the factory. I had the dealer replace it this past Friday and now it sounds awesome. I also had a problem with another Mark Levinson subwoofer on a 2007 ES350 UL. That one had to be replaced after about a year or two. My 2010 ES350 UL Mark Levinson sound system worked great for the entire 3 years I kept the car. It seems as though Lexus may have a problem with one of its vendors that makes subs for the ML system. Some people get lucky and others have to go back and complain until the dealer replaces the subwoofer. Don't believe them if they tell you the system was designed for classical music and not bass heavy music. Demand they replace it. Good luck.
Old 10-11-12, 02:55 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Thank you Jollick and Aircraftmx. I will go back to the dealer and ask them to replace the sub.

I know the sub is working as I can touch the cone and it moves slightly when music is playing, so it's not blown. I also rerecorded some music and boosted the bass while recording it. When I play that music it sounds good. That leads me to believe that Lexus or Harman International (who manufactures the head unit) have cut the bass at the head unit. Lexus is being their typical "stick their heads in the sand" saying the unit operates as designed. They can't explain what that means.

Most likely my last Lexus -- and this my third LS.
Old 10-11-12, 05:00 PM
jollick
Racer

Thank you Jollick and Aircraftmx. I will go back to the dealer and ask them to replace the sub.

I know the sub is working as I can touch the cone and it moves slightly when music is playing, so it's not blown. I also rerecorded some music and boosted the bass while recording it. When I play that music it sounds good. That leads me to believe that Lexus or Harman International (who manufactures the head unit) have cut the bass at the head unit. Lexus is being their typical "stick their heads in the sand" saying the unit operates as designed. They can't explain what that means.

Most likely my last Lexus -- and this my third LS.
Let us know what happens when you go back, it you do not get satisfaction, call Lexus HQ in California, they usually get results when the dealer is being difficult.
Old 01-11-13, 05:49 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

aircraftmx, are you getting distortion free bass, and if so, what level do you have the bass on and what maximum volume?
Old 01-17-13, 07:08 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
aircraftmx, are you getting distortion free bass, and if so, what level do you have the bass on and what maximum volume?
I've had my car a week now and today I noticed distortion in the bass (at around mid to upper 30s). It seems to be coming from the sub-woofer. I will talk to the dealership about this tomorrow.

Last edited by KennyLexus; 01-17-13 at 09:29 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?